Post pictures of your wood.
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    972

    Post pictures of your wood.

    TV stands! Just got a new 50" Panasonic Plasma and want to get a custom build stand. Looking for some ideas. Post up what you have.

  2. #2
    Captain Obvious
    Reputation: tomk96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11,876
    what's wrong with your wall?


    www.mander.com (i think) has good stuff.
    And it just hurts in the very best way possible without a high priced dominatrix.---Ronsonic

    I'm pretty confident that I've pissed off several dozen random strangers on the internet tonight.---Creakyknees

    disclaimer---I make sh!t up as I go along.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    972
    Quote Originally Posted by tomk96
    what's wrong with your wall?


    www.mander.com (i think) has good stuff.

    A wife that likes to move furniture around a lot!

  4. #4
    Bamboozled by love...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    417

    Mine

    Not quite a 'stand', but I put this together to fit the room and the components. The current TV is a 37" CRT flatscreen, but I built the middle compartment to fit most 42" flat panels for when we eventually upgrade.

    The unit's in three pieces to facilitate getting out of my shop door and up the basement steps into the family room. Total materials were ~$1500. The pocket door hardware is spendy, but worth it, IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    Sticky Valentine
    Reputation: JoeDaddio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    28,404
    Very nice work.


    joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

  6. #6
    Bamboozled by love...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    417

    Thanks,

    I'm terribly particular about what I wanted/needed in a unit -- pocket doors for wider viewing angles, built-in power distribution, surge protection and UPS power backup, pull-out shelves for the AV components for easier connections, built-in baffling and venting to form a little convection current through the unit to keep the heat down. The wife wanted "pine" and "honey colored" and "corner cabinet". NO way we were ever going to get everything by buying a piece from a store, so necessity was the mother of this invention.

  7. #7
    Sticky Valentine
    Reputation: JoeDaddio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    28,404
    Great craftsmanship, for sure. Though I'll take mine in Cherry


    joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

  8. #8
    Moderatus Puisne
    Reputation: Argentius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15,882

    gaping holes in the world

    TV's, that's what they are.

    I live in front of a monitor all shift, I don't need no stinkin' TV.

  9. #9
    MCF
    MCF is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,182

    Nice...

    Quote Originally Posted by mleptuck
    I'm terribly particular about what I wanted/needed in a unit -- pocket doors for wider viewing angles, built-in power distribution, surge protection and UPS power backup, pull-out shelves for the AV components for easier connections, built-in baffling and venting to form a little convection current through the unit to keep the heat down. The wife wanted "pine" and "honey colored" and "corner cabinet". NO way we were ever going to get everything by buying a piece from a store, so necessity was the mother of this invention.
    But loose those wires!!! Run them in the wall or something....reminds me of college.

  10. #10
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    40,587
    Here ya go.....mine is cherry, that's a 32 inch flat panel but there is room for a 40 I would think. All the shelves are adjustable and the stereo is underneath in two cabinets, other two doors are storage.
    The room is not very deep, so I am backed up against the wall. The whole thing it 8 1/2 feet tall and 6 feet wide

    edit: here is a second picture so you can see how it fits into room
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Touch0Gray; 04-06-2009 at 03:41 PM.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

  11. #11
    Bamboozled by love...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    417

    Oh yea...

    Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    But loose those wires!!! Run them in the wall or something....reminds me of college.
    They were run down into the basement and back up to the surround speakers about a day later -- believe me, the wife mentioned that about 10 seconds after I temporarily ran them!

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: RoadBikeVirgin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    Here ya go.....mine is cherry, that's a 32 inch flat panel but there is room for a 40 I would think. All the shelves are adjustable and the stereo is underneath in two cabinets, other two doors are storage.
    The room is not very deep, so I am backed up against the wall. The whole thing it 8 1/2 feet tall and 6 feet wide
    I see you have the all-important fire extinguisher for when the lacquer catches on fire
    Me: Slowly thinning cyclist (PhysicsDiet profile: http://www.physicsdiet.com/Public.aspx?u=gtpsbert )
    My bike: '08 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3, '08 Red cranks, Neuvation M28 Aero3 wheels
    Just finished: '09 CAAD9 BB30 frameset, Cannondale Hollowgram Si SL cranks, Edge Composites Road 2.0 Fork, '09 Rival groupset, Mavic Ksyrium SL M10 wheels (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=167402)

  13. #13
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    40,587
    naw...there is 22,000 pounds of rock under and around the stove to soak up the heat. It get warm, not hot, at least not on the sides. That fire heats our whole house all winter.
    I just started a fire as a matter of fact, they are calling for mid 20's tonight...ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: RoadBikeVirgin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    naw...there is 22,000 pounds of rock under and around the stove to soak up the heat. It get warm, not hot, at least not on the sides. That fire heats our whole house all winter.
    I just started a fire as a matter of fact, they are calling for mid 20's tonight...ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Holy cow - it's actually hitting the 70's here in Tacoma, WA - I'm LOVIN it. Just rode the Chehalis Western trail yesterday down in Olympia.

    Hope it warms up there for you
    Me: Slowly thinning cyclist (PhysicsDiet profile: http://www.physicsdiet.com/Public.aspx?u=gtpsbert )
    My bike: '08 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3, '08 Red cranks, Neuvation M28 Aero3 wheels
    Just finished: '09 CAAD9 BB30 frameset, Cannondale Hollowgram Si SL cranks, Edge Composites Road 2.0 Fork, '09 Rival groupset, Mavic Ksyrium SL M10 wheels (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=167402)

  15. #15
    Bamboozled by love...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    naw...there is 22,000 pounds of rock under and around the stove to soak up the heat. It get warm, not hot, at least not on the sides. That fire heats our whole house all winter.
    I just started a fire as a matter of fact, they are calling for mid 20's tonight...ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Thermal mass is a great thing, until you let the fire go out and have to start all over.

  16. #16
    MCF
    MCF is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,182

    Thanks goodness!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mleptuck
    They were run down into the basement and back up to the surround speakers about a day later -- believe me, the wife mentioned that about 10 seconds after I temporarily ran them!
    I am a freak about wires!!! It took me days to route speaker wires to all my channels and the house was even pre-wired. Now I am just finishing up how to get power from outlets to lamps without the chord.....

  17. #17
    Moderatus Puisne
    Reputation: Argentius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15,882

    T-town

    [QUOTE=RoadBikeVirgin]Holy cow - it's actually hitting the 70's here in Tacoma, WA - I'm LOVIN it. Just rode the Chehalis Western trail yesterday down in Olympia.
    QUOTE]

    Was awesome yesterday. I was super warm coming into town, and the breeze off of Commencement bay felt just a hair chilly.

    What neigborhood are you in?

  18. #18
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    40,587
    Quote Originally Posted by mleptuck
    Thermal mass is a great thing, until you let the fire go out and have to start all over.
    actually since it is entirely IN the house, it never cools past room temp...AND it takes a 4 days or so to cool that far.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.