Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post

there comes a time when people should surrender their driver's license.
    The good news is that with services like uber/lyft common, and even older folks becoming more comfortable with smartphones, giving up the keys doesn't necessarily mean giving up independence anymore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    The good news is that with services like uber/lyft common, and even older folks becoming more comfortable with smartphones, giving up the keys doesn't necessarily mean giving up independence anymore.
    true, but I think the number of 80 and 90 year olds that use smartphones and Uber is a small number. Especially for 80 and 90 year old that are members are a royal family

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    true, but I think the number of 80 and 90 year olds that use smartphones and Uber is a small number. Especially for 80 and 90 year old that are members are a royal family
    My Mom has a simple cell phone where almost any other function save "call Number" is beyond her comfort zone. She not gonna scan anything, or text or even pick up a message.

Recently she came as close as an alert bank teller to the "This is your Grand Daughter and I need Money To Get Outta Jail" scam so I'm not gonna force Uber or Lyft on her. She needs the consistency of same faces/same vehicles!!

And, she is of THAT generation. She has a aid/fall service but is often found WITHOUT pendant. After a recent fall, she waited days to tell us, and after we insisted she see a doctor, weeks later was told she did indeed have a fracture in her foot! When asked why she didn't push her button on the night of the fall, she said, "I didn't want to bother them".

60 years ago, Mom had to deal with my ability to crawl away from her grasp and it has come back to kick MY ass!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    The real sea change will come when today's 60-70 year olds are 80-90. My 70-something mother in law uses an iphone just fine.

To be sure, there comes a point where they will be too dependent to use uber on their own, but I think it will be a valuable tool for older folks who are at the point where they can drive but their skills are declining. My grandmother drove for another 2-3 years after her driving started getting scary- if she were in that place today she might have been able to be persuaded to uber rather than continue risking it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The real sea change will come when today's 60-70 year olds are 80-90.

Heeeey, wait, what?? Heeeeeyyy!!!

Russian Troll Farmer
    ....and even older folks becoming more comfortable with smartphones....
    Judging by the thickness of HRH's glasses, he'd need to take at least an iPad with large icons....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Sweet Potato Kugel
    ...and states the no one has contacted her to express any regret despite the palace reporting that they did
    Phake Nuez.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    well, at age 66 I took my first uber ride this week...was a convenient way to get home from a college basketball game. eliminated the hassle of paid parking and still having to walk 20+ min to the venue.

so, yeah...it could be a big help to seniors who don't want to/shouldn't be driving...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Prince comes clean!

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...e=domesticNews

I would like you to know how very sorry I am for my part in the accident at the Babingley cross-roads,

Unlike in the US, I don't think that this means that Jackie Childs can get a bazillion Pounds for his client in a UK court.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12