R.I.P. Mad Mike: The Question Remains Unanswered
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Darling of The Lounge

R.I.P. Mad Mike: The Question Remains Unanswered

‘Mad’ Mike Hughes dies in homemade rocket disaster on mission to prove Earth is flat

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ia/4849772002/

Too bad he wasn't successful in disproving gravity. He might still be here today.

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks like the Earth struck back at his foolish pride.

"This thing wants to kill you 10 different ways," Hughes said of his rocket. Too bad he had only 9 lives. Now he's flat.

Still sad that he's lost his life over this.

What the what???
    Sad, indeed, that he lost his life. Sadder still that he could seemingly trust laws of physics and astrophysics in building a rocket, but couldn't seem to reconcile the notion that the Earth might just be a sphere.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    ‘Mad’ Mike Hughes dies in homemade rocket disaster on mission to prove Earth is flat

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ia/4849772002/

Too bad he wasn't successful in disproving gravity. He might still be here today.
    Its hard to believe anyone with the ability to build a rocket could seriously believe the earth is flat. I have to think that it was all a ruse to make money

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    It wasn't really that good of rocket. I don't think his knowledge was really based on anything substantial, it was inevitable.

He could have got a lot higher by driving to colorado, you know the state on the mexican border.
    BANNED

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Its hard to believe anyone with the ability to build a rocket could seriously believe the earth is flat. I have to think that it was all a ruse to make money

Yup..he pretty much admitted it in this interview.

Perhaps his efforts will garner the award of a Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Posthumously, of course.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Perhaps his efforts will garner the award of a Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Posthumously, of course.
    More likely to garner the Darwin Award.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post

Still sad that he's lost his life over this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Sad, indeed, that he lost his life.
    I don't see it as "sad" at all. He wasn't harming any one and died pursuing his dream. As foolish as that dream seems to anyone, it was his and he spent his life on its pursuit. That's got to be better than lying in bed being eaten by cancer for a year before dying.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    now we will never know if the earth is flat or round

RoadBikeReview Member
    now we will never know if the earth is flat or round
    When I study a globe it's round but when I look at a map it's flat. This is very confusing, and as someone looking for the true answer, totally frustrating.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    When I study a globe it's round but when I look at a map it's flat. This is very confusing, and as someone looking for the true answer, totally frustrating.
    Well, we may never figure it out, but there is still a chance we could find a Sasquatch

RoadBikeReview Member
    one less human on the planet.

bfd.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    About 2 years ago I read an article that said the early seafaring explorers knew the world was round and had an idea of rotation and gravity back to the mid 1400s and maybe earlier. I guess what’s old is new again. The stupidity on two levels is mind boggling. The second being building a bomb you think is a rocket without sufficient academic preparation and combined experience.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Call me crazy.

I believe he did finally discover that the earth is flat as a freakin pancake, and the "powers that be" made sure his rocket augured in before he could break the news to the world.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, we may never figure it out, but there is still a chance we could find a Sasquatch
    Maybe, just maybe, he knows. But seeing as he doesn't want to be found, he may not share his knowledge with us when we did find him.

That would really suck.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Call me crazy.

I believe he did finally discover that the earth is flat, and the "powers that be" made sure his rocket augured in.
    Wait...

You mean this is something that we're not supposed to know?

What about the oceans, if the earth is flat does that mean that they're bottomless? Or, if they have bottoms, does that mean that the earth is square, and neither round nor flat.

And what about Sasquatch? If he knows, does that make him, or should I say "Him" the "powers that be". I'm sorry but I'm not comfortable with that, I shoulda said "Powers That Be", if, you know, that's who He is.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    He had the ability to build a failing rocket which doesn't account for much. There are videos of him doing other test flights with his homemade rocket in the past and he survived. He only reached 1875 feet in the air back in 2018. He could have reached a lot higher with hot air balloon if his mission was to see the globe from higher elevation. Why rocket? Maybe he had a death wish.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Why rocket?
    No one is going to watch a tv show about someone going up in a balloon. Homemade rocket, yea, I'll watch that

Proud luddite
    My personal belief is that the Earth is neither flat nor round....it's a mobius strip. That would explain how my life is going.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    "Michael 'Mad Mike' Hughes tragically passed away today during an attempt to launch his homemade rocket," the statement said. "

Meh. Nothing tragic about it. Do stupid things.... and stupid things happen. Anyone who didn't see this coming is woefully ignorant. (aka flat Earther)

This dimwit thought he was going to propel a STEAM powered rocked 60 miles.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Opus was just napping
    While I appreciate the Darwin shoots and scores version of it.

There was a time when someone as obviously disturbed as this guy would have been given help, not given a TV show to blow himself up on for public consumption.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    "Michael 'Mad Mike' Hughes tragically passed away today during an attempt to launch his homemade rocket," the statement said. "

Meh. Nothing tragic about it. Do stupid things.... and stupid things happen. Anyone who didn't see this coming is woefully ignorant. (aka flat Earther)

This dimwit thought he was going to propel a STEAM powered rocked 60 miles.
    The Wikipedia article about Mad Mike suggests that he became a Flat Earther in 2016 to support fundraising for his rocket launch. Sounds to me like he did not actually believe in it but I guess conspiracy theorists are good for fleecing out of money
    Last edited by DaveG; 02-24-2020 at 06:28 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    My personal belief is that the Earth is neither flat nor round....it's a mobius strip. That would explain how my life is going.
    I think you are giving this crowd too much credit! They are googling Moby's Strip.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    They are googling Moby's Strip.
    btw, "Moby's Strip" is the best name for a strip club (or possibly a steak joint)... ever. Just sayin'. The jingle practically writes itself:

Moby's Strip: We keep you cumming back.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    I think you are giving this crowd too much credit! They are googling Moby's Strip.
    I had to Google it. When I got to "the Möbius strip is the epitome of the topological phenomenon of nonorientability" my head started hurting. The idea that a shape can exist in only 2 dimensions is beyond my ability

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast