R.I.Panniers

Thread: R.I.Panniers

RoadBikeReview Member

R.I.Panniers

My panniers are easily 15 years old by now, bought at a discount because the bike shop said they were just gathering dust. They've served me well, not perfect, definitely not stylish, often getting snagged a bit or kicked, not waterproof, but they haul stuff nicely.

They started to rip a bit in the lower corner, the flap making baseball-card noises in the spokes, and I figured they'd be easily fixed with rubber cement. John suggested taking them out to the garage for this, where I splayed them out and clamped up the cemented corner on his work table, across from the workbench.

He informed me yesterday evening that he was sorry, but he ruined the panniers because they caught fire.

Apparently, he turned on his blowtorch near the workbench, and the flame shot out briefly. He didn't think much of it, but it seems the flame stretched out far enough to hit the panniers, causing a fire that he didn't immediately notice behind him. He had to put the fire out with the water he (luckily) already had standing by.

Might still be able to use them with some duct tape, until a replacement is found, it's just a large hole near the bottom. He swears he didn't set fire to them on purpose.

Anyway, just thought this was an unusual accident as far as panniers go.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Sounds more like a deliberate attempt at cremation than an "accident" with blowtorch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    My panniers are easily 15 years old by now, bought at a discount because the bike shop said they were just gathering dust. They've served me well, not perfect, definitely not stylish, often getting snagged a bit or kicked, not waterproof, but they haul stuff nicely.

They started to rip a bit in the lower corner, the flap making baseball-card noises in the spokes, and I figured they'd be easily fixed with rubber cement. John suggested taking them out to the garage for this, where I splayed them out and clamped up the cemented corner on his work table, across from the workbench.

He informed me yesterday evening that he was sorry, but he ruined the panniers because they caught fire.

Apparently, he turned on his blowtorch near the workbench, and the flame shot out briefly. He didn't think much of it, but it seems the flame stretched out far enough to hit the panniers, causing a fire that he didn't immediately notice behind him. He had to put the fire out with the water he (luckily) already had standing by.

Might still be able to use them with some duct tape, until a replacement is found, it's just a large hole near the bottom. He swears he didn't set fire to them on purpose.

I've used that "careless blowtorch" story so many times with my wife. Its a great way to get rid of her stuff that I don't like

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I've used that "careless blowtorch" story so many times with my wife. Its a great way to get rid of her stuff that I don't like
    I mean if you said you used the plasma-cutter to cause this; now THAT would be unbelievable.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I mean if you said you used the plasma-cutter to cause this; now THAT would be unbelievable.
    You can't always make it about the blowtorch. Sometimes it's the careless chainsaw, fluke sledgehammer incident, or paper shredder run amuck

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    My wife loves cats so we have five of them and I think thatís way too many cats. I think a careless blowtorch might be an option.

half-fast
    Who among us hasn't had a torch accident?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    My wife loves cats so we have five of them and I think thatís way too many cats. I think a careless blowtorch might be an option.
    Now would also be a good time to learn how to glue tubulars.

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    who among us hasn't had a torch accident?
    twss...
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017

FWIW, This is the *BEST* short story I've ever read, where the plot is based on the destruction of Panniers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    FWIW, This is the *BEST* short story I've ever read, where the plot is based on the destruction of Panniers.
    ^this

It's got all the best bits, old dusty panniers, baseball-card noises, rubber cement, garage, work table, workbench, fire, blowtorch, and duct tape!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used to have a foreman who liked to walk up and goose the guy when the cutting goggles or welding helmet was in use. He got me once, I stood bolt upright with the cutting torch pointed straight up which put the cutting flame pointing straight away from me, turned around quick, "surprised" like and that foreman had to jump quick to get out of the way of the flame.

The guys I worked with all wondered why I was never getting goosed.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got nothing better to do while on lockdown than write dramatic short stories about panniers (well, I do, but this is one way to procrastinate.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I've got nothing better to do while on lockdown than write dramatic short stories about panniers (well, I do, but this is one way to procrastinate.)
    The people love a good pannier in flames story. I say give the people what they want. (Pics would be good too)

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    My blowtorch accidents tend to result in blowtorch disasters.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Now would also be a good time to learn how to glue tubulars.
    I learned how to glue tubulars when a bike I borrowed at the last minute for a race flatted a few miles into the race and for the first time in my life, I was holding a new tubular and glue, with lots of cartoon ??? above my head. I did not DNF, but all the free water bottles and bran muffins were long gone by the time I crossed the finish line.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Too much chance of collateral damage. If that's not your thing, think about the "paper shredder run amuck" option.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KojoAkimbo View Post
    Too much chance of collateral damage. If that's not your thing, think about the "paper shredder run amuck" option.
    Yeah, their fur stinks to high heaven when it burns. As an alternate form of entertainment consider placing a piece is scotch tape under each paw.

Frog Whisperer
    having made my living wth a torch for 40 years, I have set all kinds of things on fire, let me just say, just because you don't see your finger doesn't mean the torch isn't pointed at it.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

Beetpull DeLite
    Several years ago, I picked up a '98 Chevy C1500 as our new spare vehicle. It was a former municipal utility meter reader truck and, as such, had an interesting assortment of lights, power wires, antennas, saggy door, and floppy shift lever. Also included was a hole in the seat, about the size of a 20 oz bottle, on the far left corner of the bench. I'm skinny so I sit inside of it and it doesn't bother me.

A few months after I bought it, I drove to the utility to see if I could get their service records for the truck. While describing to one of them which truck it was, I mentioned the hole in the seat...he just laughed and said, "oh yeah, the torch incident!"

Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I used to have a foreman who liked to walk up and goose the guy when the cutting goggles or welding helmet was in use. He got me once, I stood bolt upright with the cutting torch pointed straight up which put the cutting flame pointing straight away from me, turned around quick, "surprised" like and that foreman had to jump quick to get out of the way of the flame.

The guys I worked with all wondered why I was never getting goosed.
    There's a special place in hell for people who do stuff like that, or grab you/make a "BZZZZT" sound as you're working in an electrical panel.