Random Acts of Stupid
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Festina Lente'

Random Acts of Stupid

Wanted to talk to someone about this, but haven't been around too many people lately who would want to listen.

My brother works for the City of LA and virtually 100% of his time is spent out working, in public, maintaining certain parts of LA's infrastructure. He was out working last friday in Hollywood, and it appears (though he cant remember) a passing car threw a water balloon that hit him in the chest. Only real problem is that the water balloon was frozen. Put him on his ass... luckily no broken ribs, or he wasn't hit elsewhere. He will be back at work this week.

So why is this nagging on me... I am seriously freaked out of random acts of stupidity. My commute is going to put me riding from a pretty nice area into an area near Inglewood/Compton. Work starts at 5:30-6:00am, which is good (most people asleep)... but still puts me out there alone. Not sure what to do or where to start... Will is written... but I don't know if I should be doing something else...

anyways, thanks for reading...
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Ride with

body armour?

Sticky Valentine
    My buddy Tim was riding on PCH and someone in a passing car shot him in the butt with a pellet gun. I've had a soda can and apple core thrown at me, along with the intentional swerves and perfectly time horn blasts (perfectly times to frighten you). And that's not even to mention the verbal abuse, which happens is numbers so great it's impossible to keep track of.

I haven't commuted in a while. Although I loved it and appreciated it, three years of being forced to do it daily was enough for me. At least for as long as I live in Orange county, I don't foresee myself committing full time again any time soon. I prefer to use my riding time as something to enjoy, to relieve stress, to have fun with. Not something that takes nerves of steel and has a high chance of jack-tards ending my life or seriously injuring me.

If I lived in a more bike friendly place I think I would do it more often now that I have a car. But those three years or so really left a bad taste in my mouth.

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    IME, you're going to encounter more *******s driving through the better parts of town.

Whenever I used to ride from brentwood to downtown, I was always relieved to get east of crenshaw, even though the streets were tighter.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Beetpull DeLite
    That's way too early for f'tards to be awake. Unless they're still running on their meth binge from the previous night.

waterproof*
    I'd be more worried about the afternoon commute home thru the 'hood, after the guys have been drinking all day.
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Inglewood, Compton does not sound like nice riding to me. I'll be in LA in a week and plan to ride in Pasadena. That's more my style. Be careful, you're right...somethings bound to happen there.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

banned
    Aug 2009
    Make sure that you are wearing a Raiders hat, and to ensure that you are perceived as a hipster and not some gangsta that's rollin' through someone else's set, have a bandana hanging out of your rear pocket- preferably blue or red.

And pedal. You don't want to be the new Reginald Denny.

Seat's not level
    I'm more worried about stupid stuff I do.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

No hero that's understood
    I think the tougher parts of town probably care a lot less about some dude on a bike. My guess, like Roebuck said is that you'll have more trouble in the nicer areas where people "own" the road.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    I'd be more worried about the afternoon commute home thru the 'hood, after the guys have been drinking all day.
    This. AM commutes are peaceful, even in Crackton. PM commutes can be a little dicier- between the traffic and the locals. But mostly the traffic. Like Q&A said, you're just some dude on a bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A couple weeks ago I was riding out in the between suburbs country and felt something brush my back, then I heard it hit the ground out past me. Just as a car with two , maybe 12-13 year old boys in the back seat with huge gawking grins on their faces.

For a brief moment I was kinda pissed thinking what kind of kid does that ****. Then I got a good look at the kids mouth that was on my side of the car and he looked so damn goofy I couldnt help but feel sorry for him. If I had been blessed with teeth that jacked up and Angelina Jolie lips I'd be a bad kid too.

In a related story the dumb asses I grew up with used to ride up and down Elvis Presley Blvd right at the MS TN line as young teenagers and throw little half pints of joungle juice at people walking down the street.

I didn't think it was funny then. But when one real dumb ass picked up a brake shoe out of the bed of the truck and knocked a guy out it floored me that the kids thought it was still funny.

I read a story once that said some large % of our society was sociopathic. Yeah I believe it.

Big is relative
    I've commuted in Virginia, Washington, South Carolina, and Hawaii. Virginia and Hawaii had sketchy areas to ride through but at 5 am, they were quiet. Even the worst of society sleeps around that time. The afternoons were a challenge, especially in Virginia. At least once a week a car or truck would get next to me and start moving over to "teach me a lesson about not riding on the road". I would see the driver looking over his or her shoulder and pointing to the sidewalk. I've had stuff thrown at me including golf balls, a handfull of pennies, trash, beer cans, and trash. The trash was cool because they did it in front of a cop in South Carolina and he ticketed them for littering and charged them for each piece of litter. He said he could have charged them with misdeamenor assault but he could hurt them worst with the littering. I think the tickets totaled up to around $1000.

In Italy a Swiss tourist threw something at me that I didn't recognize but a car full of Italians quickly drove up next the to tourist and verbally unloaded on him and then checked on me.
    Retired sailor

MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    I was in LA once on a business trip and the shop was located somewhere near Crenshaw - They even said they get out of dodge before the sun goes down. I remember driving to the hotel and crossing Crenshaw and seeing a guy sitting on his front porch drinking his 40 and all I could think about was the movie 'Friday'. NO WAY IN H*LL would I ever ride a bike through that area.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Don't wear spandex. Don't ride a flashy bike.

Lots of the people in those neighborhoods ride their own bikes to and from work. As long as you don't stick out, you'll probably be fine.

No Crybabies

everywhere

I've had a few things thrown at me. Happens only in shady neighborhoods and in rural areas.

Plenty of random acts of stupidity on the MUT this morning. Despite everyone there knowing it is used by cyclists, for some reason groups of walkers think it's perfectly fine to walk 5 abreast, blocking the entire trail. It's bad enough when approaching a group from behind and they don't move, but my fourth encounter of this type this morning was with a group walking towards me -- I was all the way to the right, and one guy just held his position walking right at me -- until I shouted a loud "HELLOOOOO" and he moved about 6" the other way.

Another stupid act is all the glass on the roads lately, especially in bike lanes. It's so bad as of the last several weeks it looks like domestic terrorists drive around town distributing glass everywhere. We should just ban glass bottles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Bent, so you know ...

The only sketchy part of that commute might possibly be the 3-mile stretch along 120th. And I don't think it's bad at all. I used to hang out in South L.A. all the time and Crenshaw south of Florence was totally mellow. (Crenhsaw north of Florence wasn't really bad either, fwiw.)
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    And if 120th gets screwy because of the parked cars in the right lane, you could always divert to 118th.

-- Gut

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    That's way too early for f'tards to be awake. Unless they're still running on their meth binge from the previous night.
    or you could be one of the f'tards yourself. terrorising the area.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Many years ago i was riding with a customer when i got nailed in the back by a large drink thrown by a passing car. After i got my wind back we continued down the road and saw the car at a convience store. My customer told me to relax and took out his huge cell phone out of his day pack. Made a quick call and next thing three state troopers showed up and he pointed them out and arrested the whole car full of kids.

The customer was a Judge for the State of Delaware. His word carried quite a bit of clout. LOL LLOL LOL

Today i carry a collapasible baton in my commuter for self protection. The 24 inch model will ruin a bad guys day.

Bill

Bacon!
    Worst I've had besides being forced off the road is a freshly lit cigarette that a ganster looking kid threw at me on Highway 1 near Tomales Bay. Crazy place to see a gansta let alone a car full of them rolling up next to me. Better the cig than a gun I guess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've done a bunch of riding in both extremely rural and very wealthy suburban areas, and never had anyone really mess with me, although I know people who have had bottles and coins thrown at them. And I probably ride more obnoxiously than most.

But I'll never forget driving through the 'hood of Winston-Salem, NC with a truckload full of narcotics when I delivered for a pharmacy one summer. I came up to one lady's house with a bag of goodies (as in- the stuff that killed Michael Jackson type goodies) and there were 3 big dudes on the porch next door drinking 40s and smoking what I suspect were Black and Milds filled with weed. At 3 in the afternoon. That was disconcerting.
    Stand, you've been sitting much too long
    There's a permanent crease in your right and wrong

Rub it............
    Last year, there were a couple of incidents where cyclists were shot with darts from a dart gun. The police finally found who did it.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/...Attacks_Arrest
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

Festina Lente'
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    And if 120th gets screwy because of the parked cars in the right lane, you could always divert to 118th.
    Will be coming in from the south. Redondo Beach area...
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by BentChainring
    Will be coming in from the south. Redondo Beach area...
    Still nothing to worry about.

Take Rindge all the way up to Manhatty Beach Blvd. Then make your way over to your office. Lots of stop signs but it's a relatively quiet street and most the stop signs are at one-way streets with no cross-traffic.

It starts at 190th, about 3/4 mile west of Inglewood.

If you tell me where you're starting from I can route you some more specific.

Here, in case the stupid embed isn't working right.

-- Gut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast