Redneck rodent extermination
    RoadBikeReview Member

Redneck rodent extermination

In light of the skunk thread in these pandemic times, I'll post my own story -

A few weeks ago I determined we had a rodent problem in the concrete walkway that led up to the deck. Three holes entering under the slab, and the dog had taken a keen interest everytime he went outside.

So I took a can of carburator and sprayed it in one of the holes for about fives seconds, flicked a ligher and *POOF*, mouse #1 darts out of one of the other holes. The second hold didn't yields any results. But when I sparked the third hold (by now I was using a paper towel rolled up tightly instead of losing knuckle hair) *POOF* mouse #2 shot out and right up the bottom of my home's vinyl siding. No quick pounding on the siding made him drop.

There seemed to be some more activity a couple of weeks later. Carb cleaner eviction notice #2 produced no results, and I ended up sealing the holes with some of that Great Stuff expanding sealer foam. No sign of any additional burrowing after spraying the insulation.

I hope the carb cleaner eviction method is humane, it has to be compared to other methods that kill. I may have mentally scarred them for their short life, but I probably just made them relocate fifteen feet away. Any suggestions for better methods, particularly when having pets roam freely in the back yard?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    I use the bait stations with D-Con by each corner of our shed and along the walls by each of our garage doors. We have two dogs and they have not shown any interest in the D-Con stations, but if they did it would be difficult for them to get to the poison. I check the stations often to make sure they aren't trying.

I'm not concerned about being humane with them any more after we had some move into our house a couple years ago. I do like your method though and might try it next time I see some holes around the garden.

When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be the mink guy from Utah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbg5dK3JksM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    May or may not be redneck method but I've heard about placing dry ice at the holes and cover it with dirt. Since it's heavier than oxygen, it sinks in and suffocates the rodents. It does the burying of the carcass at the same time.

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    May or may not be redneck method but I've heard about placing dry ice at the holes and cover it with dirt. Since it's heavier than oxygen, it sinks in and suffocates the rodents. It does the burying of the carcass at the same time.
    Good idea, but well beyond the capabilities of a garden variety redneck.

The dry ice method would require more rudimentary chemistry knowledge than a GED would offer. Plus to qualify as a redneck solution, the outcome should to result in copious amounts of cheap beer, blood, gunfire, explosions or the impregnating of a close relative.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Good idea, but well beyond the capabilities of a garden variety redneck.

The dry ice method would require more rudimentary chemistry knowledge than a GED would offer. Plus to qualify as a redneck solution, the outcome should to result in copious amounts of cheap beer, blood, gunfire, explosions or the impregnating of a close relative.
    I agree. there must be something involving repurposed flammable or exploding liquid or device to be a true redneck solution.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

Russian Troll Farmer
    No, a true redneck would put the end of his shotgun barrel down the hole....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Stumpcake!
    Truly redneck is substituting acetylene/oxygen for carb cleaner. Louder and messier.

* no actual rednecks were harmed in said action...at least not this time.
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem."

A Story of Love
    Nuke the entire site from orbit.

It’s the only way to be sure.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did — peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    ......or the impregnating of a close relative.
    What about a distant relative? Asking for a friend.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    It ain’t redneck until the trailer catches on fire.

A Story of Love
    Nsfw.

MH: I want to go like my Dad did — peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Frog Whisperer
    How timely, I am on chipmunk patrol this week, I've been too busy/lazy to set up a trap, line this summer but there are so many I just had to start. On Tuesday, I was catching one five minutes after I baited and set the trap. I'm using a live trap and releasing them miles away. I almost ran out of gas in my car! I would feel bad about killing the because they really don't do any damage, I just get sick of them darting out in front of me a startling me. Monday and Tuesday I snagged 8 of them.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

Spicy Dumpling
    65 Lb Hound dog keeps our yard clear of Squirrels, Rabbits, moles & deer. But I expect she'd welcome burglars and thieves. We have had to cut a trapped rabbit out of the chain link after the bunny realized it couldn't get through the fence anymore. Chimay just chases but doesn't want to catch. She watched us cut it out with a concerned face.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA View Post
    65 Lb Hound dog keeps our yard clear of Squirrels, Rabbits, moles & deer. But I expect she'd welcome burglars and thieves. We have had to cut a trapped rabbit out of the chain link after the bunny realized it couldn't get through the fence anymore. Chimay just chases but doesn't want to catch. She watched us cut it out with a concerned face.
    yeah, when Lace was alive, we had fewer chippies, squirrels, not so much. She NEVER barked or chased, but just the smell of a dog was enough as a repellant. Lace NEVER figured out that squirrels could climb trees......... face palm.....

she absolutely NEVER chased deer, when she saw deer or turkeys, she would drop to her haunches and just sit and watch them. Actually she was kind of scared of turkeys. We het 15 at a time and they are mean and aggresive! Safety in numbers I guess.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

Master debator.
    For moles if you can see the ground moving where they are you can hit it with a 12 gauge and it's usually enough to stun them so you can dig them up. For rabbits I have a .22 air rifle in the garage that I've gotten a whole bunch with this year. Squirrels never come into our yard due to the 4 large dogs we have, neither does the UPS guy or the Mormons (sorry I think they prefer a different name now?).

Snakes are our friend and I never kill them except accidentally with the mower. One of my dogs brought a 3 foot snake into the house once, thinking he did a good thing. I stepped on it in the dark hallway with bare feet, I about pooped myself. Right now we have an Asian beetle infestation all of a sudden, I use a Dawn dish soap mix for them. We also have possum, but they are good to have around so I try to keep the dogs from going after them.

Every now and again a racoon tries to cross our yard at night, the shepherds usually catch those and stretch them out between them like a toy. The squalling wakes us up, it's horrible. We have coyotes that come within 20 feet of the house. If I see a coyote in range it's fair game to be taken out, they are numerous here, and they will kill your dog(s) if they can lure them up into the cornfield.

I don't think any of my methods are very rednecky, except I sometimes get rid of ground hornets with a can of spray paint and a lighter.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbYVVaDSe6o

Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Nsfw.

Gawd, that's awesome. I haven't Mojo'd in probably twenty years. She's vibrator dependent.