Boobies!

A reunion of sorts...

I'm now mostly recovered from the most talking I have done in thirty years--an old friend came to visit for a week. We've touched base occasionally, and seen each other occasionally, but we have not spent a significant amount of time together since we did ski trips in our 20s.

We seriously talked pretty much every waking moment for a week--except when in museums (or when someone else had to get a word in edgewise).

Usually I can go for days without saying much more than good morning to my wife, and communicating about meals and such...

Anyone else have a best bud that they have reunited with and had a similar gab-fest?
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

What the what???
    Shadddup!

j/k. I havenít had the experience myself, but it sounds like you had an awesome week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Anyone else have a best bud that they have reunited with and had a similar gab-fest?

... one time at band camp.

For over a decade, I was fortunate enuff to ride with three gentlemen met out on the roads less traveled.

It was an unlikely friendship as our only initial link was cycling. Our careers were so diverse that our collective worlds prolly would not have collided. But over time, we learned that we did indeed have many shared interests.

Alas, all good things. Still, we'd keep in touch and go out of the way to meet for many of those shared interests and our conversations seem to be an ongoing dialog for over 27 years as we pick up where we left off, and as you mentioned, it's hard for anyone else to get a word in.

We had one earlier this year and are currently working on one that involves someone's favorite "Asian Bistro". The last time we all ate in an eatery, I fell into near uncontrollable laughter. One of the staff came over and said "It should be illegal for you all to have such a good time".

hello
    Yeah, at a high school reunion in which I haven't seen this person in almost 40 years.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

RoadBikeReview Member
    A lot of my "best buds" from 30+ years ago are dead. I'd say it sucks getting old, but I'm glad I'm not dead, and honestly I don't feel as old as the calendar says (or as old as I thought I'd feel at this age?).

It's none of my business, and people live their lives many different ways, but I was kind of saddened by your description of how little you and your wife talk. For me, that would not be a happy life. But everyone is different.

I'm glad you enjoyed re-connecting with an old friend. It sounds like it was a wonderful week.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Yes, yourself since 2006, as others on this forum. I lived through your home, your wife's retail life, a Toyota pick-up, the recession and some of the the most gracious and glorifying moments during twelve years.
    Last edited by Eretz; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:45 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Iíve 3 buddies Iíve been friends with since high school, so 40 plus years, 50 with one of these guys. We might get together a few times a year, sometimes only once, but have started 3 years now, to do a camping weekend in the Adirondacks. We would need a week to touch base on everything we need to say to each other, we are that connected. Itís a great experience to have had friends last that long.

OTOH, I lost a buddy this last Sept., a former riding and swim buddy when he was a triathlete here on Long Island. We rarely had long or deep conversations back then as we were busy riding, etc.... and only occasionally did the after ride bagel stop. Then he moved to Utah and we would talk 2-3 times a year. The conversations ended up deepening our relationship, despite our opposite political beliefs. It was always a good talk and we respected each otherís views and truly enjoyed the hour long conversation. We were the same age. Mike suffered an apparent stroke and collapsed at home, his wife found him. Gone in an instant.

Never assume longevity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

Never assume longevity.

I take some solace in knowing that when I die, I'll be the last one to know it's actually happened.

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Yes, yourself since 2006, as others on this forum. I lived through your home, your wife's retail life, a Toyota pick-up, the recession and some of the the most gracious and glorifying moments during twelve years.
    *blushes*
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post

It's none of my business, and people live their lives many different ways, but I was kind of saddened by your description of how little you and your wife talk. For me, that would not be a happy life. But everyone is different.
    I probably downplayed the amount of talking I do with my wife--I am not a taciturn grunter--although she is quite often otherwise engaged, since she runs her business from home...
    William J.H. Boetcker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    Haven't seen my buddy since school. We were always in touch online, but he happened to visit me just twice since we seen each other at the graduation party (it's been almost 20 years, sheesh).
    Cats have 32 muscles in each ear, to help them ignore you.