RIP Ginger Baker
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Last edited by velodog; 1 Week Ago at 03:24 PM.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    Omg..... Not another one!?!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Wow, it's a shock to hear of Ginger Baker's recent death. I mean he looked like death's door since the mid-sixties...but yeah he had to have been healthy as all heck to display such energy. One wonderful drummer. Plenty of style, dash and drama. Fancy. Flamboyant. I actually saw him live. At the L.A. Forum, playing with Blind Faith in the wake of Cream's demise.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I'm more surprised he had made it as long as he had. Hugely influential.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...a-kuti-890696/

Beware Mr. Baker is a great documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqrigN8jxj8

Russian Troll Farmer
    I read a quote from Ginger's first wife: "If his plane crashed and there was only 1 survivor, it would be Ginger. The devil takes care of it's own.."
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    When I was a kid, looking at the pictures of Ginger on the Cream albums I bought at the podunk record store in the podunk central PA town I lived in when those Cream albums first came out... Ginger was so gaunt and wild eyed, I figured he wouldn't live to see 1970.

RoadBikeReview Member
    And now for the other side of the story:

Ginger Baker: a master and monster who split rock music apart
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ck-music-apart
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    when I was in high school, every morning a very cute girl that sat in front of me would rush in the classroom and excitedly ask if Ginger Baker was still alive...because she heard his veins were 'crystallizing'...

also recall a rumor that he had to have his sticks taped to his hands, 'cause he was so high when he played...

literally wore out my first copy of Disraeli Gears...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    when I was in high school, every morning a very cute girl that sat in front of me would rush in the classroom and excitedly ask if Ginger Baker was still alive...because she heard his veins were 'crystallizing'...

also recall a rumor that he had to have his sticks taped to his hands, 'cause he was so high when he played...

literally wore out my first copy of Disraeli Gears...
    I wore out my Blue Cheer and Moby Grape albums first. However, my Lothar and the Hand People album lasted longer than any of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I wore out my Blue Cheer and Moby Grape albums first. However, my Lothar and the Hand People album lasted longer than any of them.

You must have stayed up late listening to Michael Tearson. I had a single with Blue Cheer on one side and Blues Magoos on the other. "Summertime Blues" and "We Aint Got Nothin' Yet"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by harryman View Post

Beware Mr. Baker is a great documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqrigN8jxj8

yeah it's great.
    By coincidence I say Let's Get Lost about Chet Baker around the same time. I know they are not related but they definitely have a lot in common besides the last name. Great gifted musicians and that's about the extent of anything positive to be said about either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    and as an aside, his son, Kofi, is an amazing drummer and seems like a really nice guy.
    Check out Abstract Logic by Jonas Hellborg, some other dude, and Kofi Baker. I'd probably call it "fusion Jazz".