RIP Lappy, RIP.

Thread: RIP Lappy, RIP.

Palm trees & sunshine!

RIP Lappy, RIP.

My trusty laptop of almost 5 years kicked the bucket last night, nuking my primary HDD. It must have been a power problem with the disk subsystem for when I plugged in my backup drive.... it nuked that too. Good thing I have a 3rd and 4th backup, though not quite as recent, to restore from. But, cripes, I hate reloading and configuring all my apps.

/Svend, 1201, Phys, BJII and all the rest of you pervs..... no, I didn't lose ANY of my pr0n.

supervillain

Adorable Furry Hombre
    The one thing I hate most about restores--things like Adobe etc that lock the software to your drive or processor--so you have to throw in the disk and start over usually

5 years is good for a lappy--but about the absolute limit. Things wear out, and are made to be cheap and light-not durable on Laptops
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Sucks!

How do you handle your Pic Backup?

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

hit it
    Uh oh... my laptop is now 4.5 years old. Luckily it hasn't been a primary PC for most of it's life & the HD is less than a year old.

I don't really keep any data on here as it is just a travel / interweb PC.

May Larry Rest in Pieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    But I'm not a douche. I'm awesome.

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J
    Sucks!

How do you handle your Pic Backup?

Len

I've got 2TB of storage here at home, across multiple RAID0 arrays, not counting the storage on my (well, now defunct) primary drive and primary backup drive. Pics get copied to the backup, then to the arrays, then to Flickr for online/offsite storage.

You could say that I'm a bit anal-retentive when it comes to backups. I did lose some emails in this crash because I archived very recently and hadn't copied the archive to the backups yet but, aside from that, very minimal data loss.

supervillain

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Room 1201
    The one thing I hate most about restores--things like Adobe etc that lock the software to your drive or processor--so you have to throw in the disk and start over usually

5 years is good for a lappy--but about the absolute limit. Things wear out, and are made to be cheap and light-not durable on Laptops

I can't complain. That HP was a trooper and I admit that I was, in no way, gentle with it. Plus, in 5 years, it was powered off maybe ten days at most.

This is actually all my boss's fault. I was talking to him the other day on my softphone and he commented about how he could hear my HDD head clicking. Lappy was dead within a few hours of that. IT Rule #1: Don't taunt the computer gods!

supervillain

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    I can't complain. That HP was a trooper and I admit that I was, in no way, gentle with it. Plus, in 5 years, it was powered off maybe ten days at most.

This is actually all my boss's fault. I was talking to him the other day on my softphone and he commented about how he could hear my HDD head clicking. Lappy was dead within a few hours of that. IT Rule #1: Don't taunt the computer gods!
    Still, the clicking HDD sounds like a symptom...Could it have been a bum PSU? I can't recall ever hearing of a dying hard drive nuking another HDD connected via USB.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    *ouch*

I'm not as good about backups as I should be. I have a nightly back to hard disk via my server, but I don't move anything offsite. I gotta get going on that for sure.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Still, the clicking HDD sounds like a symptom...Could it have been a bum PSU? I can't recall ever hearing of a dying hard drive nuking another HDD connected via USB.

I didn't connect the backup via USB... I plugged it right into the drive bay. I'm SO anal, my primary backup drive is preloaded with WinXP and some essential apps so I can be up and running right quick.

supervillain

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    *ouch*

I'm not as good about backups as I should be. I have a nightly back to hard disk via my server, but I don't move anything offsite. I gotta get going on that for sure.

You have your Smugmug site for the important pix. That's a good start.

supervillain

Scary Teddy Bear
    You have your Smugmug site for the important pix. That's a good start.

Ype, I gotz me teh smugmuggerhuggertuggertroopercombatmachine.......
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I didn't connect the backup via USB... I plugged it right into the drive bay. I'm SO anal, my primary backup drive is preloaded with WinXP and some essential apps so I can be up and running right quick.
    Ah one of those jobbies. You have triumphed with your 10 or 15 backups....say can I borrow some of your server space?....I think my root system partition is about 1GB and my media partition is oh-around 70GB or so.....

Scary Teddy Bear
    Ah one of those jobbies. You have triumphed with your 10 or 15 backups....say can I borrow some of your server space?....I think my root system partition is about 1GB and my media partition is oh-around 70GB or so.....

Does it matter that I don't even have the shuhlightest idea of what you are talking about????
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by physasst
    Does it matter that I don't even have the shuhlightest idea of what you are talking about????

We don't either. We just toss around acronyms and jargon to make it look like we do.

supervillain