RIP Robert Hunter.
    RoadBikeReview Member

RIP Robert Hunter.

His words will always glow with the gold of sunshine, at least in my heart. There was no greater wordsmith in the history of popular music, and his collaborations with Jerry and Bob and Phil are among the greatest artistic partnerships ever.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    I am completely with you. I became a fan in the early 70's and my appreciation of his music only continued to grow over the years. Fare thee well, my friend.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Frog Whisperer
    omg..... I was out of town at a funeral with no access to the outside world..........................................I am speechless, and in tears
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Despite having no clue what maybe half his lyrics are about they really pull at my heart.

Box of rain is a good example of a song that made me emotional but I really had no idea what it was about so I just googled what it was about.

"According to lyricist Hunter, Lesh "wanted a song to sing to his dying father and had composed a piece complete with every vocal nuance but the words. ... According to an interview of Hunter by Steve Silberman, as asked by Silberman, "The song 'Box of Rain' began as a rough vocal outline from Phil Lesh"

Well not wonder I didn't know the meaning. And boy did he accomplish what he was trying to with that song.

Frog Whisperer
    In the attics of my life
    Full of cloudy dreams; unreal
    Full of tastes no tongue can know
    And lights no eye can see
    When there was no ear to hear
    You sang to me

I have spent my life
    Seeking all that's still unsung
    Bent my ear to hear the tune
    And closed my eyes to see
    When there were no strings to play
    You played to me

In the book of love's own dreams
    Where all the print is blood
    Where all the pages are my days
    And all my lights grow old

When I had no wings to fly
    You flew to me
    You flew to me

In the secret space of dreams
    Where I dreaming lay amazed
    When the secrets all are told
    And the petals all unfold
    When there was no dream of mine
    You dreamed of me

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Despite having no clue what maybe half his lyrics are about they really pull at my heart
    I actually had an email correspondence with him about this back in the early days of the internet where he and occasionally others in “the family” would chime in on dead.net.

He was adamantly opposed to explaining what the songs were about. “Lost in the forest of What It Means” was part of his reply.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I actually had an email correspondence with him about this back in the early days of the internet where he and occasionally others in “the family” would chime in on dead.net.

He was adamantly opposed to explaining what the songs were about. “Lost in the forest of What It Means” was part of his reply.
    Really cool.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post

My "handle" was originally More Than a Touch O Gray on a Robert Hunter chat. That morphed into what I use today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Despite having no clue what maybe half his lyrics are about they really pull at my heart.

Box of rain is a good example of a song that made me emotional but I really had no idea what it was about so I just googled what it was about.

"According to lyricist Hunter, Lesh "wanted a song to sing to his dying father and had composed a piece complete with every vocal nuance but the words. ... According to an interview of Hunter by Steve Silberman, as asked by Silberman, "The song 'Box of Rain' began as a rough vocal outline from Phil Lesh"

Well not wonder I didn't know the meaning. And boy did he accomplish what he was trying to with that song.
    He said, in that interview or another similar one, that he could hear what Phil meant to say just listening to the sound of his voice, even though Phil had no words for it. He said it was just a mysterious gift of his, and added that he could talk to babies and dogs, too.

Sometime try to find the story of how he and Jerry wrote "Terrapin Station" separately but simultaneously. Jerry was stuck in traffic on a bridge because of a tremendous thunderstorm, and began composing a melody and song structure in his head. When he got home he recorded a demo. Hunter was in his apartment in the City, looking out the window at the same storm, and words began to flow. He wrote several verses with a distinctive rhythm. Of course, Jerry's tune and Bob's words fit together perfectly.

Or so they both said later. It's a good story, anyway.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    He said, in that interview or another similar one, that he could hear what Phil meant to say just listening to the sound of his voice, even though Phil had no words for it. He said it was just a mysterious gift of his, and added that he could talk to babies and dogs, too.

Sometime try to find the story of how he and Jerry wrote "Terrapin Station" separately but simultaneously. Jerry was stuck in traffic on a bridge because of a tremendous thunderstorm, and began composing a melody and song structure in his head. When he got home he recorded a demo. Hunter was in his apartment in the City, looking out the window at the same storm, and words began to flow. He wrote several verses with a distinctive rhythm. Of course, Jerry's tune and Bob's words fit together perfectly.

Or so they both said later. It's a good story, anyway.
    Or...... They split a blotter and had matching hallucinations! Either way.... It worked!

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Or...... They split a blotter and had matching hallucinations! Either way.... It worked!
    I would think they would have better than blotter.

Hunter's lyrics were timeless. So many people thought some of those songs were from WAY back in the day.

About the only thing I miss about Dish is the GD station, which we had on a LOT in our house.

Thank you and RIP Robert Hunter.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post

Yeah. After all, Owsley Stanley worked for them.

Hunter's lyrics were timeless. So many people thought some of those songs were from WAY back in the day

I've often felt that he was channeling a great poet born 180 years before him, his great-great-grandfather Robert Burns.

Frog Whisperer

Hunter's lyrics were timeless. So many people thought some of those songs were from WAY back in the day.

About the only thing I miss about Dish is the GD station, which we had on a LOT in our house.

Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Yeah. After all, Owsley Stanley worked for them.

I've often felt that he was channeling a great poet born 180 years before him, his great-great-grandfather Robert Burns.

So you never saw or heard of a blotter with an owl on it?

Very interesting
    Article :
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-of-lsd-82181/

As I type this I am listening to the Byrds

gazing from the shadows
    So you never saw or heard of a blotter with an owl on it?
    Nope, though I had heard of Owsley. The person. But I don't think much of that information stuck.

By my day "blotter" was so often laced with speed and/or strychnine and very little dose, at least from what those who followed the Dead who I knew told me, it was not their preferred form. They were talking windowpane, liquid.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Frog Whisperer
    Nope, though I had heard of Owsley. The person. But I don't think much of that information stuck.

By my day "blotter" was so often laced with speed and/or strychnine and very little dose, at least from what those who followed the Dead who I knew told me, it was not their preferred form. They were talking windowpane, liquid.
    according to that article, blotter was NOT the preferred delivery method as it had a very short (3 day) shelf life

RoadBikeReview Member

I was sad, also. And Box of Rain is one of my favs. That, plus the experience of putting on AB, when able to get out of stressful day or week, and have some time to listen to music and let my mind wander.

Great song lyrics are just specific sounding enough to make you think they are saying something, but they remain vague enough, just going 9/10 of the way to clear meaning, so to let your mind, or your soul, go the final tenth of a mile and make the song personal to you.

Hunter was exactly there on so many songs. Plus, there was some kind of amusement to be gained by a lot of his lyrics - just knowing knowing someone was playing with you with their word-smithing. Like flirting. The gleam in the eye of benign mischief.

AB is my fav studio, and Reckoning is my fav live. I don't have fav bootlegs - just as the mood hits me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My "handle" was originally More Than a Touch O Gray on a Robert Hunter chat. That morphed into what I use today.
    When I see your handle, that silver lining lyric usually passes through my mind. thanks!