RIP Sophia.

Thread: RIP Sophia.

Master debator.

RIP Sophia.

Taken two days ago. She is fully blind, weak, and stumbled through the woods. She would not be denied, however, walking with us through the woods was what she loved to do. Sophia was my girl, she is the one above all other dogs that has broken my heart. I had to rescue her from the briar patches a few times when she veered off course, it was just as easy to pick her up and carry her back to the path. You can tell I'm tired and stressed out about what we knew was coming. Dangit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very sorry for your loss.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Truly sorry :/
    Alleged "Campy fanboy" and "Einstein".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Nooky

First off, very sorry for your loss.

I read the other post about all the assorted dogs and cats you have rescued current and in the past, how many you have had to put down recently in so short a period and I fully understand the thought process of getting a puppy, if only as you need a break from the heartbreak.

It's easy to state "no time guarantees" with any of them and you rescue the older ones knowing that their time may be shorter than you want. That's incredibly brave, that's the only word for it as it takes courage to commit, knowing what's coming and maybe sooner than you want.

It's easy to state "you made their lives better" but it's more than that.

You gave them life.

RIP Sophia.

Master debator.
    Supposedly the rescue we got Sophia from rescued her from a kill shelter the morning she was scheduled to be euthanized. The owner was an older gentleman who did not have much money, and he passed away. The family surrendered her to the shelter, she was rescued, and we saw her on the rescue site. I did not go when my wife got her, she didn't look like much to me to be honest in the photos. The wife said she did not seem to excited to be rescued, but my wife knows shepherds and knew they typically have one person they are loyal to, so they seem aloof. The rescue can't believe she took her. Sophia had a huge mass on her rib cage, some scars on her nose, and the skin by one eye was torn and looked like it didn't heal properly. It turns out she had mammary cancer, she was not spayed.

When she got home the dog walked over to me, and buried her snout in my lap, so excited that her body wiggled. I fell in love, and she was mine for the next 2 1/2 years. She became my running partner, and has several half marathons to her credit. We expected her to be gone well over a year ago to be honest, but we did what we could for her, and she made it an extra 13 months longer than expected. We would cook for her towards the end, and she could eat whatever she wanted, whether it was steak or a bowl of ice cream, we knew her time was short. She did manage to help raise our puppy Ella right, she took her under her wing like she was her own, and let her know the rules. Shepherds are very smart, and Sophia was no exception. She will be surely missed.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post

When she got home the dog walked over to me, and buried her snout in my lap, so excited that her body wiggled. I fell in love.
    I found Nike as a pup, on a highway. Scared the bejeebus outta me as she was alongside the inside median wall. Stopping was not only risky for me, but I worried that she might bolt into traffic as I neared her.

Then, she did the unexpected and headed directly to me, tail wagging as if we'd been lifelong friends and so it was for another 17 years.

She did have two "idiosyncracies".

Since day one, she could not be left alone in the bedroom lest she pee in the middle of the bed (otherwise housebroken and not an issue if someone was in bed with her).

She was a "petting *****" and could NEVER get enuff physical attention. The oddest manifestation would have someone place a hand anywhere on her body and she'd stand still seemingly for hours, waiting on one stroke or head pat.

As I mentioned in another thread, not long after the "rescue" she was diagnosed with Parvo but survived, thus getting the name Nike.

All these threads are bringing happy thoughts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    You brightened my night in a sad way. Brought back memories of the four dogs I have had in my life that are no longer part of it. Each had their own personalities and I loved them all and cried like a baby as they each left my life.

Darling of The Lounge
    Sorry for your loss, nOOky.

It never gets easier outliving your pets and facing their mortality. Each animal soul entrusted to us enriches our lives and teaches so much about the true meaning of love.

Listen to the profound wisdom of Mr. Stewart. Then smile, cry and close your eyes and be at peace.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 04-07-2019 at 07:28 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry nOOky.
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Supposedly the rescue we got Sophia from rescued her from a kill shelter the morning she was scheduled to be euthanized. The owner was an older gentleman who did not have much money, and he passed away. The family surrendered her to the shelter, she was rescued, and we saw her on the rescue site. I did not go when my wife got her, she didn't look like much to me to be honest in the photos. The wife said she did not seem to excited to be rescued, but my wife knows shepherds and knew they typically have one person they are loyal to, so they seem aloof. The rescue can't believe she took her. Sophia had a huge mass on her rib cage, some scars on her nose, and the skin by one eye was torn and looked like it didn't heal properly. It turns out she had mammary cancer, she was not spayed.

When she got home the dog walked over to me, and buried her snout in my lap, so excited that her body wiggled. I fell in love, and she was mine for the next 2 1/2 years. She became my running partner, and has several half marathons to her credit. We expected her to be gone well over a year ago to be honest, but we did what we could for her, and she made it an extra 13 months longer than expected. We would cook for her towards the end, and she could eat whatever she wanted, whether it was steak or a bowl of ice cream, we knew her time was short. She did manage to help raise our puppy Ella right, she took her under her wing like she was her own, and let her know the rules. Shepherds are very smart, and Sophia was no exception. She will be surely missed.
    Awwww, Nooky, that brought tears to my eyes. What a great thing you did for Sophia in her final years. So sorry she is now gone, but I'm sure never forgotten.

RIP Sophia.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

gazing from the shadows
    Sophia was my girl, she is the one above all other dogs ...

I am very sorry for your loss. The special ones are treasures. As much as we love and are loved by all our pets, some of them just have more, give more, and give more back. Those losses hit the hardest, in part because we know we won't have that exact kind of relationship again. You can't make them happen, they just do.

Take comfort, as you can, in the fact that you had the chance to have that special bond, the chance that many never have. The bond in a way that many never even know is possible.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Boobies!
    Sorry to read this. The good ones get lodged in our hearts and minds.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Hey --- you did a good thing and the dog had a good life. I adopted a rescue Great Dane years ago. The dog had had a rough life. He was happy living with me. One day he had a stroke and couldn't walk and I had him euthanized. It was really difficult, so I know how you feel. It happened so suddenly. My previous dog had some kind of cancer and I waited too long. It was an awful feeling of dread for months on end. Another pet will find you.