Salesforce?

Thread: Salesforce?

RoadBikeReview Member

Salesforce?

A friend of a friend suggested I look into learning about Salesforce, the CRM system that's apparently sweeping the nation, if not the world. Never heard of it except seeing it mentioned online, but everything I find is glowing reviews.

Figured I might as well see what it's all about. I started their learning program "Trailhead," and took the introductory online starter whatever, earning a "badge" within minutes.

The learning process (so far) is cartoony in design, and the whole thing was about how to manage profiles and what certain terms mean. Without reading the material I was able to guess the correct answers.

I guess SF is the new standard database for retail and back-office operations? Does anybody here have experience with it?

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    A friend of a friend suggested I look into learning about Salesforce, the CRM system that's apparently sweeping the nation, if not the world. Never heard of it except seeing it mentioned online, but everything I find is glowing reviews.

Figured I might as well see what it's all about. I started their learning program "Trailhead," and took the introductory online starter whatever, earning a "badge" within minutes.

The learning process (so far) is cartoony in design, and the whole thing was about how to manage profiles and what certain terms mean. Without reading the material I was able to guess the correct answers.

I guess SF is the new standard database for retail and back-office operations? Does anybody here have experience with it?
    We actually used Salesforce at my old place of work (a homebuilder) to keep track of inventory, options, stuff like that. I was in the precon side of things, and primarily used Microsoft Excel to track my projects and stuff.

In a word, no I don't have any actual experience with the software, save for acknowledging that it exists.

Poast count +1
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Neophyte
    It's a pretty giant deal and definitely not new... the giant Salesforce annual conference (aka Dreamforce) is going on in San Francisco as we speak... every big company I've worked for in last 10 years uses them.

...funny story, due to a structural failure detection they had to close the brand new bus terminal in San Francisco in the middle of the day right before afternoon commute... this is during the Dreamforce conference and Salesforce has the naming rights to the bus terminal). I don't think anybody at the conference cares since they're all at hotels but it was the only thing covered in local evening news today.

BTW maybe try "Salesforce.com for Dummies" book, I always find the "for Dummies" books pretty good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks! It's a huge company with popular software, yet I've never heard people mention it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    If you want to make a crap ton of money.. learn both SalesForce and SAP. Many large firms are moving from SAP tools to Salesforce. They both suck in my book (I work IT security, and poorly configured, even at major orgs Salesforce implementations are the bane of my existence).

RoadBikeReview Member
    I only know a little about SF. One of my employer's former associate's firm developed its own SF app, which they are trying to sell us. From my limited understanding, among other things SF provides an ecosystem (Platform as a Service) and the applications within it function with a high degree of integration. In other words, if you develop software in SF for a specific line of business and need a way to accept payments, there's an app (or many) for that.

BTW, the other company off-shored development.

I've heard of the CRM system but have no experience with it, other than being the recipient of various marketing campaigns.

Boobies!
    My lovely wife--aka the retail guru--has heard of it of course.

She thinks it is good for what it does, although when she was working on CRM/back of the house integration, it was SAP or custom software.

She says Salesforce gets pretty complicated when you get down to using it well.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    My lovely wife--aka the retail guru--has heard of it of course.

She thinks it is good for what it does, although when she was working on CRM/back of the house integration, it was SAP or custom software.

She says Salesforce gets pretty complicated when you get down to using it well.
    I work for a giant multinational corp (Starts with a D.. giant green dot in the logo ). We recently switched much of our back office away from SAP to Swift and Salesforce.. which is funny, as we are a massive SAP and Oracle partner and integrator