Sandy Eggo Custom Bike Show
    Shrewdest Unit Mover

Sandy Eggo Custom Bike Show

Moving Units

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is it me, or are these things getting a little... oversaturated?

On the one hand, I love custom bikes. I have one. It's exactly what I wanted.

On the other hand, these shows seem to bring out the freak bikes. Builders building crazy-ass stuff that doesn't even work (the bike with beer-tap shifters at NAHBS couple years ago) so they can stand out from the crowd...

On another forum, I saw a guy sell a Vanilla he'd only ridden twice- are custom bikes becoming just another nerd commodity to be wrapped in foil and sold MIB? "OK, I've owned a vanilla, now I can cross that off my list... Next up, a vintage Herse..."

When custom becomes a freak show or a commodity, what is it?

I think about the Oregon Manifest. 60-70 years ago, builders were able to create bikes that weighed 15 pounds with racks and bags (no tires) that had to perform over a multi-day event to highlight who made the best bike, to advance the science of bike building. The oregon manifest managed to come up with bikes with integrated wine racks.

Do custom shows help promote the idea of bikes as serious transportation or do they condemn bikes to being seen as expensive toys for rich idiots?

Not Banned
    I'll be there, but that's cause it's, well, minutes from my home
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Shrewdest Unit Mover
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    I'll be there, but that's cause it's, well, minutes from my home
    Proximity to location kinda makes attendance mandatory for bike geek like yourself.
    Moving Units

Is not a clown car
    IME, there are more than a few builders who feel the same way. The glad handing is bordering on absurd. I can certainly see the value in a couple regional shows, but to the extent that they're being put out now makes it hard for the builders to keep the que down, yet make some of these shows to garner more build commitments. If they even generate sales from the shows.
    Disclaimer: I sell ::Singulars:: and write a :blog:
    ::Pictures::

Born from JortsŪ
    Prolly.

Although I now have a restraining order to stay 50 ft from the RBR interview booth.

Big is relative
    I enjoyed it last year. It's a small show compared to NAHBS, but you actually get up close and meet some cool people. It's to meet the person behind the brand.
    Retired sailor

Not Banned

of course

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill
    I enjoyed it last year. It's a small show compared to NAHBS, but you actually get up close and meet some cool people. It's to meet the person behind the brand.
    and all the builders are happy cause they are here in San Diego
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

i like whiskey
    Being able to talk to the builder face to face is a major plus in my book.

There is a TX version in the fall I need to get to since I have never made it to NAHBS. SD would be super fun as well. Then I could buy atp a few beverages to repay for the headphones.

Genitive Declensioner
    Quote Originally Posted by empty_set

I'll be there....
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

Just Plain Bitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    Prolly.

Although I now have a restraining order to stay 50 ft from the RBR interview booth.
    Jeff, If you are going to go hit me up and maybe we can carpool. Missed last year but would love to go this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now