Saw 'Captain Marvel'... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Chances are the internet trolls boosted sales by trying to tank it. It made people wonder why people would try and do that, which made it more interesting.

Funny how that backfires in peoples faces.
    Snakebit: "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a source? I don't make a note of everything I see or hear on the internet and you don't have to take my word for it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    Chances are the internet trolls boosted sales by trying to tank it. It made people wonder why people would try and do that, which made it more interesting.

Funny how that backfires in peoples faces.
    It's called the Streisand effect.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Back on topic
    Last edited by Eretz; 03-20-2019 at 01:09 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    comic book movies...meh.

surely there's something more interesting to bring to the big screen.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Back on topic
    Last edited by Eretz; 03-20-2019 at 01:09 AM.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I enjoyed it, as I do all the Marvel movies. There just wasn't enough time or space imho to explain the exponential increases in her power, or to make me really give a crap about her as the plot was somewhat disjointed due to the way they portrayed her past and remembrance of it etc. I liked the humor, especially the back handed political humor (it's a sh@thole) and the cat etc.
    Agree with most of that. But the increase in her power late in the movie was sorta explained... the com device under her ear was also a method of control by the Kree, which cut her powers.

Once she realized that, she burned it out, and then was eventually free to go full-on 'Superman'.

The point you bring up about not caring all that much about the main character does make me a little sad. 'Cuz it's true, and absolutely should not be. I mean, it's frickin' Brie Larson, after all.

The screenwriters and directors let us down in that aspect of the movie... Larson/Marvel was their inside-straight, and instead of getting that right, they got most everything else right instead.

Soooo, a Skrull, a cat, and a CGI'd Samuel Jackson get to largely upstage a recent Best Actress Academy Award-winner. Go figure.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Master debator.
    From the trailer we know at least Thor likes her
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Sweet Potato Kugel
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    "Back on topic."
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Avengers: Endgame tickets went on sale today. It wraps up the current MCU story arc of the "Infinity Saga" that began with Iron Man back in 2008. As a fan of comic books and a father of 11 and 12 y.o. boys, it's been a fun ride.

It will be interesting to see where the MCU goes next. Marvel have not announced any movies scheduled beyond the next Spider-Man movie released in July. I would imagine we will know something later this summer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post
    Avengers: Endgame tickets went on sale today. It wraps up the current MCU story arc of the "Infinity Saga" that began with Iron Man back in 2008. As a fan of comic books and a father of 11 and 12 y.o. boys, it's been a fun ride.

It will be interesting to see where the MCU goes next. Marvel have not announced any movies scheduled beyond the next Spider-Man movie released in July. I would imagine we will know something later this summer.
    There are multiple movies that have been announced moving forward by Marvel:

Spider man "Far from Home"
    The Eternals movie (yet to be named)
    Black Panther 2
    Dr. Strange 2
    Black Widow movie (yet to be named)
    Guardians of the Galaxy 3 (delayed)
    Captain Marvel 2 ... OK, not announced, but you know it's coming

It appears they are going to move more into a galactic background than earth based, especially with the Eternals movie.

Now that they own the X-Men, Fantastic Four and several others, the big question is whether they will integrate them into the future of Marvel movies, and if so ... how.

I'm guessing the new Avengers cast will consist of:

Captain Marvel
    Spider Man
    Black Panther
    Dr. Strange
    Ant Man & The Wasp
    Likely another hero yet to be introduced

We will see another series of Avengers movies moving forward with them at the helm, as well as others that will have movies as they develop phase 4, 5, 6.

BTW ... Picked up my "End Game" tickets this morning, was on a 3 minute wait from Fandango, but got good seats for Sunday the 28th
    Snakebit: "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a source? I don't make a note of everything I see or hear on the internet and you don't have to take my word for it."

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Captain Marvel joins the billion-dollar club:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#74e968ca70cd

And for whatever reason, it's killing it in China ($152 million there so far).

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    I have to wonder if Avengers: Endgame may actually break Avatar's box office records as the Biggest-grossing Film of All-Time.*

The hype/anticipation seems to actually be that strong, so if the movie delivers... yeah, it may be looking at James Cameron in the rearview mirror. Which is amazing.

*Though it should be noted that, inflation-adjusted, Gone With the Wind is actually the highest-grossing film of all time, and by a pretty wide margin (it made $3.7 billion worldwide in today's dollars).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post

*Though it should be noted that, inflation-adjusted, Gone With the Wind is actually the highest-grossing film of all time, and by a pretty wide margin (it made $3.7 billion worldwide in today's dollars).
    Frankly Systemshock, I don't give a damn.

Yeah, that Cameron guy has just been kickin' back on his Low Reels. Slacker.

At least we know the next installment of "Star Wars" is likely to only break the lowest grossing "Star Wars" movie record.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Frankly Systemshock, I don't give a damn.

Yeah, that Cameron guy has just been kickin' back on his Low Reels. Slacker.

At least we know the next installment of "Star Wars" is likely to only break the lowest grossing "Star Wars" movie record.
    I dunno, Aki... I'm a nerd so I'm definitely looking forward to Avatar 2 too, but, man, breaking that $3.7 billion inflation-adjusted box office take of GWTW is a daunting task, to say the least.

In other news... AMC Theaters' website crashed when pre-orders opened up for Avengers: Endgame. And opening-day IMAX tickets for it are apparently selling for HUNDREDS of dollars on fleabay and elsewhere.

So maybe Endgame is a bigger threat to the all-time record? Hmm.

Though, even with the incredible hype/anticipation, it will have to be REALLLLLLLY good to even come close. Hope it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I dunno, Aki... I'm a nerd so I'm definitely looking forward to Avatar 2 too, but, man, breaking that $3.7 billion inflation-adjusted box office take of GWTW is a daunting task, to say the least.
    The question is whether that's an all time gross sales?

If so ... you have to give the Avengers movies, Avatar, Titanic, etc. another 100 years of profits ... then compare.

Are they also taking into account TV profits when they are aired on TV a year or two later? Down the line, those would make a big difference in overall gross income for a movie. I'm also guessing they already include DVD sales, but if not, there is another area of sales for today's movies.

The other consideration is toy revenue, I'm guessing the side markets from the movies have produced "LARGE" amounts of money, which would greatly surpass the total box office of GWTW.

Now ... granted, GWTW was a HUGE box office success, but at the same time, there wasn't much competition at the box office. It was basically watch that or nothing at all, maybe one other movie. When you only have one choice, it will greatly boost sales of that product

RoadBikeReview Member
    The question is whether that's an all time gross sales?
    We are kinda hinging round comparing apples to candy covered apples. Future films might be rated on number of streams rather than a box office.

As mentioned, the expectations of the audience has changed. Going out to a Bijou was a much greater social event back in 1939. Current tech makes a compelling argument for your Smart TV.

Rub it............
    There are multiple movies that have been announced moving forward by Marvel:

Spider man "Far from Home"
    The Eternals movie (yet to be named)
    Black Panther 2
    Dr. Strange 2
    Black Widow movie (yet to be named)
    Guardians of the Galaxy 3 (delayed)
    Captain Marvel 2 ... OK, not announced, but you know it's coming

It appears they are going to move more into a galactic background than earth based, especially with the Eternals movie.

Now that they own the X-Men, Fantastic Four and several others, the big question is whether they will integrate them into the future of Marvel movies, and if so ... how.

I'm guessing the new Avengers cast will consist of:

Captain Marvel
    Spider Man
    Black Panther
    Dr. Strange
    Ant Man & The Wasp
    Likely another hero yet to be introduced

We will see another series of Avengers movies moving forward with them at the helm, as well as others that will have movies as they develop phase 4, 5, 6.

BTW ... Picked up my "End Game" tickets this morning, was on a 3 minute wait from Fandango, but got good seats for Sunday the 28th

Don't forget about Venom. That was a good Marvel movie as well.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    Don't forget about Venom. That was a good Marvel movie as well.
    Technically produced by Sony, in conjunction with Marvel but not actually part of the current Marvel Movie Universe.

Master debator.
    I'm a nerd, I asked the wife to get me Endgame tickets for my birthday. We have two reclining lownje seats for Saturday's afternoon showing. It's 3:05 so a long movie.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I'm a nerd, I asked the wife to get me Endgame tickets for my birthday. We have two reclining lownje seats for Saturday's afternoon showing. It's 3:05 so a long movie.
    Mine are for Sunday at 6:00pm not sure my bladder will make it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    not sure my bladder will make it.
    ______

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Over 3 hours? Wow. Could this be the first MCU movie with an intermission?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Over 3 hours? Wow. Could this be the first MCU movie with an intermission?

______

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12