Saw 'Captain Marvel'...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    feelin' Freddie Mercury

Saw 'Captain Marvel'...

TLDR version: Pretty good, but could've easily been better, had they made full use of Brie Larson's talents.

Adult attention-span version:

So, the first big blockbuster of 2019 is officially here, it's a Marvel superhero movie, and it's Marvel's first movie with a female lead, Oscar-winner Brie Larson as the eponymous Captain Marvel. The Marvel Universe's version of (DC's) 'Wonder Woman' is finally here, as it were.

Except that, a lot of that isn't actually true.

Though yes, it is a pretty convenient (and widespread) media narrative... 'Captain Marvel vs Wonder Woman' is a simple, straightforward hot take that gets the hits on the review and entertainment websites.

But thing is, it isn't really Marvel's first female-led film. 2018's Ant-Man and The Wasp was, starring Evangeline Lilly (of Lost fame). Okay, okay, she was the co-lead, but, still. And Lilly's Wasp was the more capable of the two characters, no offense to Paul Rudd's Ant-Man.

Nor is Captain Marvel supposed to be Marvel's Wonder Woman, she's more like Marvel's Superman. In fact, she's kind of Superman-in-reverse... instead of being a powerful alien who comes to Earth and lives among humans, she's a powerful human who goes to the stars and lives among aliens.

The backstory (as spoiler-free as possible) is this... 'Vers' (Larson) is essentially a super-soldier operative for an alien race known as the Kree, who seem to be a pretty diverse lot, some human-looking, some blue-skinned, like Star Trek's 'Federation of Planets' or an intergalactic United Nations.

Vers' mentor is Yon-Rogg (yep, Kree names are rough), played by a well-preserved mid-40s Jude Law. Vers is basically the fiery, hot-shot of her squad, while Yon-Rogg's the sober-minded commander who keeps telling her to keep her cool. If this were a buddy-cop movie of about 20 years ago, Vers would be the showboating rookie, and Yon-Rogg would be the precinct commander who chews her out, to not much avail.

The Kree are apparently at war with a race of crafty green-skinned aliens called the Skrulls, who look a bit like hobgoblins and have the ability to shape-shift at will... the perfect disguise. This naturally makes them very hard to identify and root out. Vers' squad is sent on a crucial mission to rescue a top Kree undercover agent, the Skrulls intervene, and much chaos ensues. And through it all, Vers slowly begins to realize that perhaps she was not always a soldier for the Kree.

The movie eventually moves to 1990s-era Earth, complete with Blockbuster video stores (there's still one in Bend, Oregon in 2019, btw), a grunge music soundtrack, Nine Inch Nails T-shirts, and entirely too much flannel. Captain Marvel thus pre-dates all of the Marvel Universe movies (except the first Captain America), and allows us to see things like a younger, less cynical Nick Fury (still played by Samuel Jackson, but convincingly digitally de-aged), and how he got the idea for the Avengers Initiative. Oh, and his love of cats, in particular a big cuddly orange one named Goose, who steals scenes (and hearts) and has a secret.

So, you might be asking yourself, where does all the overt female empowerment come in? Isn't this supposed to be like a bigger, flashier, Wonder Woman?

Well, no, it isn't. Wonder Woman was indeed a female empowerment story... heck, Wonder Woman's origin is grounded in a land and society without men, so it does not even occur to her to knuckle under to the patriarchal ways of the broader world-at-large. Thus, her own story is unavoidably about the role and sensibilities of women.

Captain Marvel, on the other hand, is (eventually) an empowered individual who just happens to be a woman. The male-female dynamics are secondary (and most apparent with Yon-Rogg).

And this different (and refreshing, IMO) take is actually what gets the movie into some trouble.

Vers (we later find out her real name is Carol Danvers) spends much of the film as an ungrounded character who can't remember her past. This is sort of the exact opposite of Wonder Woman, whose entire character flows from her past and her upbringing on Paradise Island. The problem with an ungrounded, amnesiac main character is that not only does she not know who she is, we the audience don't, either. And most importantly, this also does not give Brie Larson much to work with at times, either.

Yes, Danvers is cocky/determined, and has a smart-ass sense of humor, but those seem to be her only two speeds. We really don't get much of a sense of who she is as a person. Some much-needed vulnerability would've been helpul here as a portal into Carol's emotions, especially given the considerable tragedy of what's been done to her... but this would've made Danvers too much of a conventional 'woman' for the filmmaker's tastes, it seems. And/or perhaps they were worried she'd look like a victim.

Thus, an Oscar-winning actress, Larson, is essentially put in a box. She does absolutely everything she's asked to do, and does it well, but she isn't asked to do near as much as she could've. In a way, I guess this is proof of equality, since it shows that a female superhero can be just as 'surface-cool with not much going on otherwise' as a male superhero. Thing is, most male Marvel superheroes are at least somewhat more interesting than that (part of why the Marvel Universe films have done as well as they have).

It's far from a bad movie, though. Larson isn't allowed to be emotionally deep but she is still very likeable, the humor is on-point, the world-building is interesting, and the nostalgia factor is off the charts. The script is smart in places, including a major twist. And the supporting cast (Fury, Goose, and a Skrull named Talos, among others) are mostly excellent, and in fact save the movie from potential mediocrity.

2.75 stars out of four. Oh, and if you're wondering how this movie affects next month's Avengers: Endgame, a brief Q&A:

Do I have to see Captain Marvel to understand Avengers: Endgame, or will I be hopelessly lost otherwise?
    Nope, not at all. But it's pretty clear from 'after the credits' scene (and the comics, if you've read them) that Captain Marvel will play a very central role in trying to stop Thanos.

I've heard that Captain Marvel is the most powerful hero in the Marvel Universe??
    Yup, she sure seems to be. Marvel's Superman is a woman. And the Avengers sure need her to be.

How the heck did the Avengers even contact her, since she's many light-years from Earth at the end of Captain Marvel?
    Remember Nick Fury's groovy '90s-era pager that he was trying to use to call someone at the end of Avengers: Infinity War, before he faded away? Well...

Last edited by SystemShock; 03-14-2019 at 01:33 AM.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    You can’t pay me to go watch that s.h.i.t.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    You can’t pay me to go watch that s.h.i.t.
    Yet you were the first to reply???

That s.h.i.t. is the Greek mythology of our time. Try not to hurt your eyes looking down your nose at it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Rub it............
    I'm conflicted on whether or not I want to see it. Most of the reviews I've read have called it mediocre for a Marvel clip. I'll probably wait till it comes to Redbox.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post

That s.h.i.t. is the Greek mythology of our time.
    I kinda figured that future historians would see our current administration as the Greek mythology of our time (uh, oh... wrong forum)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

That s.h.i.t. is the Greek mythology of our time. Try not to hurt your eyes looking down your nose at it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greek what ??? Oh,so,we are making history here !!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    I'm conflicted on whether or not I want to see it. Most of the reviews I've read have called it mediocre for a Marvel clip. I'll probably wait till it comes to Redbox.

Thankfully, Blockbuster will have plenty of copies!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    It's a good movie, and enjoyable to watch. You people put too much thought into what is essentially a comic book in live action form. Go watch some good special effects, and a bad ass beat the crap out of an old lady (shape shifter Skrull), and enjoy the 80's movie and joke references.

edit: And I saw it twice.. well first was the preview it... my 6 year old son really wanted to see it.. in anything that is more violent of aggressive than How to Train your Dragons or Minions... I go see it first

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    my 6 year old son really wanted to see it.. in anything that is more violent of aggressive than How to Train your Dragons or Minions... I go see it first
    … weeellallrightythen! 6 years old and already a "healthy" respect for a woman in latex.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    TLDR version: Pretty good, but could've easily been better, had they made full use of Brie Larson's talents.

So, the first big blockbuster of 2019 is officially here, it's a Marvel superhero movie, and it's Marvel's first movie with a female lead, Oscar-winner Brie Larson as the eponymous Captain Marvel. The Marvel Universe's version of (DC's) 'Wonder Woman' is finally here, as it were.

Though yes, it is a pretty convenient (and widespread) media narrative... 'Captain Marvel vs Wonder Woman' is a simple, straightforward hot take that gets the hits on the review and entertainment websites.

But thing is, it isn't really Marvel's first female-led film. 2018's Ant-Man and The Wasp was, starring Evangeline Lilly (of Lost fame). Okay, okay, she was the co-lead, but, still. And Lilly's Wasp was the more capable of the two characters, no offense to Paul Rudd's Ant-Man.

Nor is Captain Marvel supposed to be Marvel's Wonder Woman, she's more like Marvel's Superman. In fact, she's kind of Superman-in-reverse... instead of being a powerful alien who comes to Earth and lives among humans, she's a powerful human who goes to the stars and lives among aliens.

The backstory (as spoiler-free as possible) is this... 'Vers' (Larson) is essentially a super-soldier operative for an alien race known as the Kree, who seem to be a pretty diverse lot, some human-looking, some blue-skinned, like Star Trek's 'Federation of Planets' or an intergalactic United Nations.

Vers' mentor is Yon-Rogg (yep, Kree names are rough), played by a well-preserved mid-40s Jude Law. Vers is basically the fiery, hot-shot of her squad, while Yon-Rogg's the sober-minded commander who keeps telling her to keep her cool. If this were a buddy-cop movie of about 20 years ago, Vers would be the showboating rookie, and Yon-Rogg would be the precinct commander who chews her out, to not much avail.

The Kree are apparently at war with a race of crafty green-skinned aliens called the Skrulls, who look a bit like hobgoblins and have the ability to shape-shift at will... the perfect disguise. This naturally makes them very hard to identify and root out. Vers' squad is sent on a crucial mission to rescue a top Kree undercover agent, the Skrulls intervene, and much chaos ensues. And through it all, Vers slowly begins to realize that perhaps she was not always a soldier for the Kree.

The movie eventually moves to 1990s-era Earth, complete with Blockbuster video stores (there's still one in Bend, Oregon in 2019, btw), a grunge music soundtrack, Nine Inch Nails T-shirts, and entirely too much flannel. Captain Marvel thus pre-dates all of the Marvel Universe movies (except the first Captain America), and allows us to see things like a younger, less cynical Nick Fury (still played by Samuel Jackson, but convincingly digitally de-aged), and how he got the idea for the Avengers Initiative. Oh, and his love of cats, in particular a big cuddly orange one named Goose, who steals scenes (and hearts) and has a secret.

So, you might be asking yourself, where does all the overt female empowerment come in? Isn't this supposed to be like a bigger, flashier, Wonder Woman?

Well, no, it isn't. Wonder Woman was indeed a female empowerment story... heck, Wonder Woman's origin is grounded in a land and society without men, so it does not even occur to her to knuckle under to the patriarchal ways of the broader world-at-large. Thus, her own story is unavoidably about the role and sensibilities of women.

Captain Marvel, on the other hand, is (eventually) an empowered individual who just happens to be a woman. The male-female dynamics are secondary (and most apparent with Yon-Rogg).

And this different (and refreshing, IMO) take is actually what gets the movie into some trouble.

Vers (we later find out her real name is Carol Danvers) spends much of the film as an ungrounded character who can't remember her past. This is sort of the exact opposite of Wonder Woman, whose entire character flows from her past and her upbringing on Paradise Island. The problem with an ungrounded, amnesiac main character is that not only does she not know who she is, we the audience don't, either. And most importantly, this also does not give Brie Larson much to work with at times, either.

Yes, Danvers is cocky/determined, and has a smart-ass sense of humor, but those seem to be her only two speeds. We really don't get much of a sense of who she is as a person. Some much-needed vulnerability would've been helpul here as a portal into Carol's emotions, especially given the considerable tragedy of what's been done to her... but this would've made Danvers too much of a conventional 'woman' for the filmmaker's tastes, it seems. And/or perhaps they were worried she'd look like a victim.

Thus, an Oscar-winning actress, Larson, is essentially put in a box. She does absolutely everything she's asked to do, and does it well, but she isn't asked to do near as much as she could've. In a way, I guess this is proof of equality, since it shows that a female superhero can be just as 'surface-cool with not much going on otherwise' as a male superhero. Thing is, most male Marvel superheroes are at least somewhat more interesting than that (part of why the Marvel Universe films have done as well as they have).

It's far from a bad movie, though. Larson isn't allowed to be emotionally deep but she is still very likeable, the humor is on-point, the world-building is interesting, and the nostalgia factor is off the charts. The script is smart in places, including a major twist. And the supporting cast (Fury, Goose, and a Skrull named Talos, among others) are mostly excellent, and in fact save the movie from potential mediocrity.

2.75 stars out of four. Oh, and if you're wondering how this movie affects next month's Avengers: Endgame, a brief Q&A:

Do I have to see Captain Marvel to understand Avengers: Endgame, or will I be hopelessly lost otherwise?
    Nope, not at all. But it's pretty clear from 'after the credits' scene (and the comics, if you've read them) that Captain Marvel will play a very central role in trying to stop Thanos.

I've heard that Captain Marvel is the most powerful hero in the Marvel Universe??
    Yup, she sure seems to be. Marvel's Superman is a woman. And the Avengers sure need her to be.

How the heck did the Avengers even contact her, since she's many light-years from Earth at the end of Captain Marvel?
    Remember Nick Fury's groovy '90s-era pager that he was trying to use to call someone at the end of Avengers: Infinity War, before he faded away? Well...

Wow, you've thought about this quite a bit. I would gave guessed it was more of basic cookie-cutter escapist/action movie with a women in tight outfits.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For the simplified version of a review:

If you like Marvel Comics movies ... you will like Captain Marvel.

It doesn't directly lead into the Avengers Endgame, other than the mid credit scene and you have an idea of her powers and abilities.

If you don't like Marvel Comics movies, you likely won't like Captain Marvel, though it is entertaining enough to watch.

My only issue with the movie is that it jumps around a bit due to her lost memories (only remembers the past 6 years ... though are those Kree years or Human years ... I'm guessing both planets don't have the exact same distance from their sun with the exact same orbital velocity ... just sayin )
    Snakebit: "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a source? I don't make a note of everything I see or hear on the internet and you don't have to take my word for it."

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

You took the time to type that? I can't even commit to reading it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Woman in an even more form fitting costume than Gal Gadot. (I know, a special place in a corner of hell for me making that comment)

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    That's why there's a TLDR version in the very first sentence, for the attention-span-challenged.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Wow, you've thought about this quite a bit. I would gave guessed it was more of basic cookie-cutter escapist/action movie with a women in tight outfits.
    Even action movies are usually about something... unless they're really bad.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Thankfully, Blockbuster will have plenty of copies!!!
    True dat.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/29/1...ix-hulu-amazon

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Greek what ??? Oh,so,we are making history here !!
    Do you think Homer believed he was writing history when he chronicled stories from Mycenae? Do you think Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides wrote history when they adapted those stories for the Dionysian stage? Didaskalos. Look it up.

They were heroic tales designed to teach lessons and reinforce norms in an entertaining manner.

"History" will be somebody else's call, long after we're gone.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post

Scully was always wrong, though.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Do you think Homer believed he was writing history when he chronicled stories from Mycenae?
    That's a nice touch.

Do you think ...
    Nicely stated.

1135 words from SystemShock will be well reviewed/received by those on Facebook Lounge. He should join.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    1135 words from SystemShock will be well reviewed/received by those on Facebook Lounge. He should join.
    You counted?

AFA Facebook Lownge goes, I've been encouraged to join by certain members there. But always preferred the 'free-range ghost-town ghetto' that is this Lownge instead.

What can I say? I like the quiet.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    You counted?

AFA Facebook Lownge goes, I've been encouraged to join by certain members there. But always preferred the 'free-range ghost-town ghetto' that is this Lownge instead.

What can I say? I like the quiet.
    I love your reviews. Don't see them as often, though.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Master debator.
    I enjoyed it, as I do all the Marvel movies. There just wasn't enough time or space imho to explain the exponential increases in her power, or to make me really give a crap about her as the plot was somewhat disjointed due to the way they portrayed her past and remembrance of it etc. I liked the humor, especially the back handed political humor (it's a [email protected]) and the cat etc.

I would recommend seeing it before Avengers Endgame, there's enough there that I think if you went into the next movie without seeing this one that you'd want to go back and see it anyway. It took staying through all the credits before I could place Annette Bening lol I was like who is that?!
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    It took staying through all the credits before I could place Annette Bening lol I was like who is that?!
    Warren Beatty & Annette Bening!

...c'mon, it's a joke!

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Captain Marvel just completed its second weekend out... and it's already raked in $760 million globally ($266 million of that in the US). Is virtually a lock to join the billion-dollar club soon.

Thus, the 'Mens Rights' and assorted other anti-women-in-leading-roles internet trolls who tried to review-bomb it on the major sites (like Rotten Tomatoes) failed miserably in their efforts to sink this one... but that's not really a surprise, is it?

https://www.wired.com/story/trolls-are-boring/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast