Saw 'Ford vs Ferrari' (short review)... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Although engineer Phil Remington was born in Santa Monica and did not have a "gee golly" Texas accent, was a minor detail to most viewers without personal involvement with Shelby American back in the day, liked the film.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Although engineer Phil Remington ...
    We could point fingers all day, but few know who invented the Curvette Switch, a Mexican non-english mother tongue working for Carlingswitch in Bristol CT on a napkin during his break time. Mr. Coffee becomes famous.

Engineers usually do not take the line light, rather the commitment in the backdrop of a process to hopeful perfection.

Couple great youtube films but spoiler alerts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    We could point fingers all day ...
    Totally agree - nick-picking a good film is wasting time.

Nevertheless it brought back memories from the past as Leno's owns my '65 GT350 which I vintage raced & cruised back in the day. Anyway my next project (1973 Jawa Model 890 speedway racer) is in the garage and have been thinking about paint schemes. As I left the theater Sunday, the thought of a Ford Wimbledon white (tank/fenders) and Guardsman blue (frame/forks) combo (or visa-versa) crossed my mind with a very discrete Shelby American logo decal deep on the rear fender.

photo Jawa 2.jpg
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Darling of The Lounge
    I enjoyed the movie. It looks like they used Burbank airport for the 1960's LAX airport test track scenes.

I wish they would have used a period correct phone cord and connector instead of a 6P6C in the scene where Ken's wife was talking to him during a driver break at the 24 Hours of Daytona

RoadBikeReview Member
    Took my boys to see it, they very much enjoyed the movie as did I. Hopefully gave them a good kick in the pants to keep helping with the conversion of my 69 Camaro to Protouring
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    Very good review. Better than some professional reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz
    Yep, thanks for the review. I always enjoy reading your movie reviews. Will definitely add this to my list now.

Thanks guys.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    My wife liked it so much she said I didn't even owe her a chick flick. Only nit pick I have is the constant gear shifting sequences - downshifting on the Mulsanne? Just ease up on the gas.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    (1973 Jawa Model 890 speedway racer)
    Does that thing run? Jawa... a two smoker?
    BANNED

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Loads of info Here.

troutmd has incredibly rare and specific pieces in his collections. Have him post the yellow pickup truck with the bike. That is pure eyecandy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Correct - early 70's Jawa Model 890 speedway racer. No brakes, one speed, 180 lbs., 500cc single cylinder 4 stroke running on methanol creating 65 hp with 0 to 60 in 2.3 seconds. Here is one (a Jawa frame with Weslake motor --- westlake of the famous Gurney-Weslake F1/Indy era) --- I completely restored a few years ago.

photo jawa done.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Loads of info Here.

troutmd has incredibly rare and specific pieces in his collections. Have him post the yellow pickup truck with the bike. That is pure eyecandy.
    Thank you for the compliment. These restoration projects keep my from being a derelict bar fly and angry old man.

photo 20160501_150604.jpg

The '56 Ford F-100 now in a private collection in Japan, and the '70 Maico MC400 in a corporate lobby in Las Vegas .

Sweet Potato Kugel

Nevertheless it brought back memories from the past as Leno's owns my '65 GT350 which I vintage raced & cruised back in the day.
    Leno resold you car, sadly, according to the duPont REGISTRY.

Last edited by Eretz; 6 Days Ago at 07:04 AM.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Thank you for the compliment. These restoration projects keep my from being a derelict bar fly and angry old man.
    You are a pure Class ACT. Those attentions to detail are beyond reproach.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm looking forward to seeing "Ford vs Ferrari" soon.

If you are not planning to see the film or after you see the film I recommend the outstanding documentary "The 24 Hour War" which is entirely about Ferrari v Ford at LeMans with some historical background leading up to how they became such rivals. The film is just about them as companies including their rivalry.

I the pleasure of being at the 1965, 1966 and 1970 LeMans race. That was back when IMO it was WAY better of a race and experience than the current annual LeMans. (When they put the two chicanes on the Mulsanne straight it was all downhill from there.)

IMO the best past genuine authentic auto racing movie was "LeMans" with Steve McQueen. Real cars, real racing at LeMans no CGI stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member

Nevertheless it brought back memories from the past as Leno's owns my '65 GT350 which I vintage raced & cruised back in the day. Anyway my next project (1973 Jawa Model 890 speedway racer) is in the garage and have been thinking about paint schemes. As I left the theater Sunday, the thought of a Ford Wimbledon white (tank/fenders) and Guardsman blue (frame/forks) combo (or visa-versa) crossed my mind with a very discrete Shelby American logo decal deep on the rear fender.

photo Jawa 2.jpg
    Wow, Jawa motorcycles, Czecholovakia's answer to Triumphs and Hondas? That's me with my kid brother on one below in '66. Bought it for $350 from a buddy on Mott St., Little Italy. First time ever on a motorcycle, rode it home out the Long Island Expressway in rush hour traffic. It topped out at 72 mph. Rode it to JKF Airport the whole summer to a job packing airplanes for Braniff, the one between United and Pan American, upstaging those two greats with stewardesses dressed in Pucci pink and "pill box" felt hats, just like Jackie's.

The bike lost second gear. The commie Czech mechanics at their little facility in Brooklyn were flattered I had the bike. They were marketing dirt bikes, like your project, trout. Mine was a 350cc two stroke. Left a ring of smoke all the way around the block. Crashed on it 3 times, so decided to sell it before departing for Vietnam, at the time a positive trade-off.

Hey, did you show up at the club ride starts with your bike in that yellow pick up? Very classy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fredrico; 5 Days Ago at 05:24 PM.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing "Ford vs Ferrari" soon.

If you are not planning to see the film ...
    Please visit NetFlix and "Shelby America." https://www.netflix.com/title/81218074

Remington, referenced ealier in the thread was actually the brain child for Shelby. MAGA.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member
    Leno resold you car, sadly, according to the duPont REGISTRY.

Like most collectors, Jay Leno more then likely practiced "high grading" where you have something really special until something even more special comes along. Nevertheless a really good guy ... actually a prince of a guy to do business with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Watched the movie this weekend and look forward to watching some of those documentaries to see how accurate the movie was depicted, but if it played out like that, dude got royally screwed.
    Either way I found it enjoyable.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12