Saw "Midsommar', 'Crawl', 'Spider-Man: FFH', 'Once Upon A Time in Hollywood' ...
    feelin' Freddie Mercury

Saw "Midsommar', 'Crawl', 'Spider-Man: FFH', 'Once Upon A Time in Hollywood' ...

Mini-reviews follow...

Midsommar

An absolutely apesh*t-bonkers arthouse horror film, particularly in its second half. Also the most brutal breakup-movie/'bad boyfriend gets his' film you'll ever see.

The pacing is slow, but has the intended effect of giving you a good feel for what it's like to be slowly immersed in a cult.... where one day you're an 'honored guest', and the next they're telling you what to do and you just do it, due to a vague but very real feeling that you dare not refuse.

Quite original, plenty gory in places, and most of all, really deeply disturbing. Definitely not for everyone (again, pacing), but if you can hack it, it has a way of staying with you. 2.75 stars out of four.

Crawl

A mostly par-for-course monster movie, albeit with a couple of plusses, in the form of a monster that actually kinda exists (giant 'gators with a bad attitude), and also a 'capable daughter fights all film to save her daddy' context.

The film knows how to use tension well, and consistently... but somehow it never quite hits top gear. Particularly in the last act, you can see the missed opportunities. Also, the two main characters seem to take damage and near-death drowning experiences better than anyone this side of a Marvel superhero somehow.

2.5 stars out of four. It's absolutely nothing you don't expect, but come for the cool father-daughter bonding, stay for the giant alligators attacking the living sh*t out of people.

Spider-Man: Far From Home

If you liked the first Tom Holland Spidey film back in 2017 (Spider-Man: Homecoming), you'll really like this one. The perfect antidote for all the sturm und drang of Avengers: Endgame, Spidey's second installment thankfully lowers the stakes for everyone except its main characters... a lovable group of teenagers on vacation in Europe.

If you want to call it Spider-Man's No Good Very Bad Awful Day, well, that's accurate, and also okay, 'cuz who needs to save the Universe every time out? Jake Gyllenhaal comes into play as Mysterio, a 'frenemy', and Samuel Jackson's Nick Fury pops up repeatedly, to good effect.

Three stars out of four, it's breezy, effortless fun with characters you like.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Tarantino's ninth film, set (very) lovingly in the Los Angeles of the the late-sixties. Leo DiCaprio is a has-been TV cowboy, Brad Pitt is his never-was stuntman best friend, and Margot Robbie is promising young but apparently-doomed starlet Sharon Tate.

Tarantino weaves a rich mix of fact and fiction into an LA mythology of the times... Bruce Lee shows up, as does Charles Manson, Roman Polanski, Steve McQueen, Squeaky Fromme, George Spahn, and a whole slew of LA landmarks.

And, has been more and more the case in recent years, Tarantino is willing to take his sweet time to tell his story. Which is a nice way of saying that the first half of the film is a pretty slow character study/exercise in set up. There's a point where you wonder if all the disparate characters and scenes will ever come together.

But as the film goes on, the pacing picks up and the story satisfyingly tightens up, leading to probably the most ultraviolent of all Tarantino film endings this side of Kill Bill Volume One. And, don't worry, it's not as simple as being a Sharon Tate snuff film, either.

Three stars out of four. Not his best, but far from his worst. And, fascinating if you've never had the pleasure of hanging out in the place and time that QT recreates with such care and obvious affection.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I like your review of the QT flick, especially the part about how he creates a time and place with such loving care.

Thus far, all the reviews I've read complain about women not having enough lines.

I'm like, really? That's the measurement of a QT period-piece film these days?

I don't watch QT films for historical accuracy and carefully constructed examples of fairness and equality.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I like your review of the QT flick, especially the part about how he creates a time and place with such loving care.

Thus far, all the reviews I've read complain about women not having enough lines.

I'm like, really? That's the measurement of a QT period-piece film these days?

I don't watch QT films for historical accuracy and carefully constructed examples of fairness and equality.
    I would disagree with those reviews. The 'not enough lines' criticism really only makes sense in the case of Robbie's Sharon Tate. There are several reasonably significant female characters who get screen time... mostly members of the Mason family.

But yeah, Margot Robbie/Sharon Tate isn't given that much to do, and it's a tiny bit annoying until you realize that the way she fits into the film is as a paragon of all that's allegedly brightest and most beautiful about Hollywood, a 'star on the rise', in direct contrast to DiCaprio's star-in-decline.

And, for someone to be portrayed as a goddess, a paragon, a certain amount of distance is necessary... so you very intentionally don't see a lot of Robbie, and she doesn't have many lines. Plus, this portrayal of Tate as a 'unicorn' innocent ingenue of sorts increases the anxiety we feel when the Manson family comes a-callin'.

It's like, "Noooo... you can't kill someone that beautiful and wonderful and perfect!" And she's pregnant to boot (as she was in real life).

So, to view it in simple 'women should always have equal lines' terms is kinda missing the point, and would handcuff the director as well.

However, the ending of the film is positively BRUTAL, and I can kinda sorta see how some might view it as misogynist. There's also a 'maybe he did, maybe he didn't' scene regarding the possible murder of someone's nagging wife that does Tarantino no favors on this score.

So, the criticism may be aimed at the wrong target within the film, but it also may not be entirely wrong overall.... at the very least, it's debatable. If you see the film, it won't be that hard to spot.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

your text here
    midsommer was craaaaaaazy. the lead actress is wonderful. i just binged "the little drummer girl" and she is remarkable!

i cant believe i still havent seen OUATIH....
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Sigh... 200 views, two replies that ain't me. Da Lurker Lownge™ strikes again.

And this is why we can't have nice things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the reviews, always enjoy them. I definitely want to see OUATIH but I really was not tracking Midsommar. Just watched the trailer and going to add it to my list. QT is on again off again for me most of the time but this one looks good.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Sigh... 200 views, two replies that ain't me. Da Lurker Lownge™ strikes again.

And this is why we can't have nice things.
    I think it's your fierce intellect that scares them away. Or maybe it's that your brand of ToughLove™ is a little too tough the 198 wusses who can't SackUp™ and post here.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I think it's your fierce intellect that scares them away. Or maybe it's that your brand of ToughLove™ is a little too tough the 198 wusses who can't SackUp™ and post here.
    ^^^^
    You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later

My take, as in the winter months during "car threads," we were given many months to embroider end table ash tray protection and moist drinking glasses touching veneer finishes. Give this thread full foliage.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    I think it's your fierce intellect that scares them away. Or maybe it's that your brand of ToughLove™ is a little too tough for the 198 wusses who can't SackUp™ and post here.
    Ain’t it the truth. Lurkers are pencil-necks.

Master debator.
    Meh. Spiderman was okay, that's all I care to say about it. I'll see the Quentin Tarantino film on DVD, it just looks like more of the same from him. Nothing in the theater right now seems compelling to me, of course it's summer so we're out biking and running and kayaking and doing fun stuff over seeing movies.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    ...of course it's summer so we're out biking and running and kayaking and doing fun stuff over seeing movies.
    Examine the title thread heading for sanity sake, "Saw "Midsommar', 'Crawl', 'Spider-Man: FFH', 'Once Upon A Time in Hollywood' ... "

Anyone reading the thread heading would need a fulltime job to critique the Quattro [Not Audi related] showings on neighborhood Argent Écrans. That's just verbage shattering.

One title, one thread.

I'm only 1 of 4.

On the other hand, saw an incredible remake into colour last month.