Senate panel sets 35 mpg standard by 2020....SRSLY?!?!
    Festina Lente'

Senate panel sets 35 mpg standard by 2020....SRSLY?!?!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/AUTOS/05/08/...eut/index.html

Certain people think its unfair and too difficult... Are you freaking kidding me?!?!?!

On the other spectrum, a bunch of dumb college kids (i use dumb affectionatly of course) just won the Shell Eco Challenge, their mileage? 1900+ mpg. Oh...last year they lost the SAE competition to a team from Canada...their mileage? 3000+ mpg. Heavily modified carbon fiber single seat vehicles....but still..eh?!

Sigh....Maybe when gas hits $5 a gallon here....

nK
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

BBJ

Jun 2004
    I think those milage figures are inflated a bit, unless there was an additional energy source.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Sweet! I'm already partying like it's 2020! The Mini got 37.3 on our trip to upstate NY this weekend.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Rep *****.
    35 mpg? Not very ambishus

p != b
    They're not really inflated. In a lot of ways they're probably as accurate as the mileage numbers released by the EPA.

My knowledge is (I tried to find out more details, but the Shell website is painfully lacking in the detail section) that typically these numbers are very much extrapolated from a brief performance, ie. the 'car' drives a few laps around a track, and then they measure the gas used. A vehicle whose results show 1500MPG would use ~0.0067 gallons of gas to go 10 miles.

Also worth noting that these are typically not driven at any sort of freeway speed, but rather a much slower speed, optimized for efficiency.

Shell's page:
    http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?..._archive2.html
    I love the sound of cowbell in the morning.

Call me a Fred
    If the Shell Eco Challenge vehicles were testing to the EPA mileage standards, the results were be much smaller numbers.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Festina Lente'
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker
    If the Shell Eco Challenge vehicles were testing to the EPA mileage standards, the results were be much smaller numbers.
    ah yes, very true...

i wasnt trying to say they operate at highway speeds, or are practical vehicles...i am just amazed that people think 35mpg by 2020 isnt doable...

nk
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

here comes trouble
    Ok, 35mpg average is a lot different than mandating every vehicle sold gets 35mpg. It's one thing for mid-sized cars and light trucks to get 35mpg (very doable), but I think you'd have a hard time getting any type of work truck up to 35mpg on a gasoline engine. 35mpg on a diesel, however, is not unreasonable.
    Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit. -Bernard Williams