Signs of High Blood Pressure
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

Signs of High Blood Pressure

Those of you with high blood pressure, what were your signs and symptoms and did you notice anything riding?

Call me a Fred
    There are no signs. It is the silent killer.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by trek7100
    Those of you with high blood pressure, what were your signs and symptoms and did you notice anything riding?
    My BP is fine. But, I have a very distinct memory from my childhood of my grandmother's having dramatic signs of high blood pressure. One day my mother noticed that the blood vessels in my grandmother's eyes were enlarged and breaking. My mother took my grandmother to the emergency room and her BP was at some astronomincal level -- the doctor in the ER was amazed that my grandmother had not sustained a stroke before she arrived at the ER. Needless to say, Grandma then became a lot better about taking her BP meds than she had prior to this incident.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Unless you get to the state that Mark's Grandmother was in, you'll probably never notice anything. I first found out there might be an issue when I donated blood the first time, lo these many years ago.

Mine's not crazy high, but it's pretty high when untreated, and I didn't notice a thing the couple of times I've gone on vacation without my pills.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboy389
    Unless you get to the state that Mark's Grandmother was in, you'll probably never notice anything. I first found out there might be an issue when I donated blood the first time, lo these many years ago.

Mine's not crazy high, but it's pretty high when untreated, and I didn't notice a thing the couple of times I've gone on vacation without my pills.
    One thing that I forgot to include in my original post about my grandmother was that notwithstanding the fact that the blood vessels in her eyes literally were exploding when my mother saw her, my grandmother felt fine and resisted my mother's taking her to the ER until my mother had her look in a mirror.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Big is relative
    I had no symptoms other than what the BP cuff indicated. I take a minimum dose of Cozaar and probably will for the rest of my life. High BP runs in my family on both sides. Without meds, my BP is 130/88 and with meds it is 120/75. Just a small tweak but my job is stressful and until I am away from that, I will probably need meds. I also take a minimum dose (10mg) of zocor since high cholesterol runs in my family. My vegetarian sister had high cholesterol.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had no symptoms, either.

My doc gave me a chance to try to bring it down by quitting smoking and losing weight.

I ended up on meds.

THEN I quit smoking and lost 80 pounds.

Now, I've kept the weight off and not smoked for 2+ years. No more meds needed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    get a home monitoring kit. It's worth the $50 investment. Considering that $50 is the race entry fee, I say it's worth knowing your BP.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    My sign and symptom was that I went to the doc's office for a routine physical, and he took my BP and said it was high.

It's now pretty much normal, and surprisingly, the thing that brought it down was soy. No meds. Really.

Found out later that black soy is prescribed in Asia for high BP. Who knew.

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Beetpull DeLite
    Donate blood so that your pressure is checked every two months.

Anti-Hero
    If your BP creeps up gradually over time, it's like everyone else said- you likely won't notice.

Once, I took some medication that made mine go from normal of 115/65 mmHg up to 144/90 mmHg. I felt horrible- my heart felt like it was pounding, I got a bad headache, my face turned bright red... it was no fun at all.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

Alien Musician
    Weirdly, my cat recently was diagnosed with this - the little guy nearly stroked out and
    he's on anti-hypertensives and special food and (get this) IV fluids 1x a week.

He bounced back very quickly but we've had to adjust the meds slightly as the first
    time we brought him back he was still a little high and the second time a little better..

The funny thing is they have a KITTY CUFF to measure BP.

I go into my local Target store and do the "measure your BP" thing and was keeping
    track of this, especially with the stress of my last job. The current one is getting up
    there in stress so I should check again..
    my music is online at aliensporebomb dot com yes indeed.
    my twitter for those bored: http://www.twitter.com/aliensporebomb

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can, however, feel low BP.
    Mine stays around 110-118/63ish. I've got no cholesterol....
    I'm gonna live forever. /whine

"You can have high blood pressure, or hypertension, and still feel just fine. That’s because high blood pressure does not cause signs of illness that you can see or feel. But, high blood pressure, sometimes called “the silent killer,” is a major health problem. If high blood pressure isn’t controlled with lifestyle changes and medicine, it can lead to stroke, heart disease, eye problems, or kidney failure."

banned
    Never noticed anything- my blood pressure was just always high.

Meds keep it in check. That, and losing 60 pounds.