Slightly NNC surgery/recovery question for phys et al.
    BrooklynVelo

Slightly NNC surgery/recovery question for phys et al.

This is primarily for phys, and all the docs/medical folks around here and those that have been though this already and I figured da lounge would be a good place to start.

For those that don't know, I was in an accident coming home from a training ride on July 2nd. A van went through a stop sign and I ended up t-boning the side of the van at ~22 mph. I had slight loc at the scene and went to the ER diagnosed with a possible skull fracture, some nasty facial lacs and a broken collarbone. I went to my ortho for a follow-up a week later on the 11th, he took some x-rays and told me I needed surgery on the clavicle break, (broken in 2 places and completely displaced). I had surgery on the 17th, with a contoured clavicle plate an artificial bone graft because the middle section of the bone was "pulverized to mush".

Now I know that I won't be able to go to PT until the bone is healed and I know that this is going to take a long time. I also know that the numbness around the incision site might never go away, but I was hoping that you all might be able to give me a general idea of when I'm going to have some of my range of motion back. At this point I can only raise the arm to 90 degrees. That's all, if I try for any more it just doesn't move.

I've gone to the ortho 2x for a follow up and he's been great (he operates out of NYU's Hospital for Joint Diseases and I'm always surprised at how accommodating he is with answering questions, a week before my surgery he spent some time between surgeries on the phone with my wife and I answering questions), but I'm not supposed to see him again until the end of the month and I was hoping that you all might be able to give me some general information.

Thanks guys
    Damn the Man, Save the Empire
    Brooklyn Velo Force

Jan 2004

Not-very-useful second-hand information...

My wife had what sounds like a somewhat similar situation after a fall from a horse--same kind of break, anyway, and surgery. I won't bore you with all the details, but she's tougher than six NFL linebackers and tried to rush her rehab, and she wound up dragging out the recovery a lot longer than her surgeon said it had to be. His advice, and mine, and probably my wife's, is to work as hard as you can at your PT and rehab within the boundaries the doc and therapist set. Do all they tell you to as soon as they tell you to do it, but don't start until they say it's OK and don't exceed their recommendations, or you'll be hanging Christmas ornaments with your feet.

Scary Teddy Bear

Howdy

Quote Originally Posted by daneil
    This is primarily for phys, and all the docs/medical folks around here and those that have been though this already and I figured da lounge would be a good place to start.

For those that don't know, I was in an accident coming home from a training ride on July 2nd. A van went through a stop sign and I ended up t-boning the side of the van at ~22 mph. I had slight loc at the scene and went to the ER diagnosed with a possible skull fracture, some nasty facial lacs and a broken collarbone. I went to my ortho for a follow-up a week later on the 11th, he took some x-rays and told me I needed surgery on the clavicle break, (broken in 2 places and completely displaced). I had surgery on the 17th, with a contoured clavicle plate an artificial bone graft because the middle section of the bone was "pulverized to mush".

Now I know that I won't be able to go to PT until the bone is healed and I know that this is going to take a long time. I also know that the numbness around the incision site might never go away, but I was hoping that you all might be able to give me a general idea of when I'm going to have some of my range of motion back. At this point I can only raise the arm to 90 degrees. That's all, if I try for any more it just doesn't move.

I've gone to the ortho 2x for a follow up and he's been great (he operates out of NYU's Hospital for Joint Diseases and I'm always surprised at how accommodating he is with answering questions, a week before my surgery he spent some time between surgeries on the phone with my wife and I answering questions), but I'm not supposed to see him again until the end of the month and I was hoping that you all might be able to give me some general information.

Thanks guys

Saw this earlier but got paged to go see an idiot who had his femur sticking out.....we don't call them donorcycles for no reason..

ANYWAY, without seeing your x-rays, knowing what type of fixation was used, etc. this will be just general information. Clavicle fractures generally heal very well and within 10-12 weeks will be healed in an adult. This may be slightly longer for you if he had to use bone graft. Did he use autologous graft? I am assuming he did, and probably took some bone from your iliac crest. You're only 3 weeks out, so it's still early. When you say that you can only raise it 90 degrees, is that to the side (abduction) or in front of you (flexion), either way that's pretty good at three weeks, and it may take your abduction a while to come back. I would say by 3-4 months your motion should be close to back to normal, although maybe not completely, and realistically, it may NEVER be what it was before the accident. Hope that helps, and if you think of any questions, feel free to ask....

now where did I put that reciprocating saw?????
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

BrooklynVelo
    Quote Originally Posted by physasst
    Saw this earlier but got paged to go see an idiot who had his femur sticking out.....we don't call them donorcycles for no reason..

ANYWAY, without seeing your x-rays, knowing what type of fixation was used, etc. this will be just general information. Clavicle fractures generally heal very well and within 10-12 weeks will be healed in an adult. This may be slightly longer for you if he had to use bone graft. Did he use autologous graft? I am assuming he did, and probably took some bone from your iliac crest. You're only 3 weeks out, so it's still early. When you say that you can only raise it 90 degrees, is that to the side (abduction) or in front of you (flexion), either way that's pretty good at three weeks, and it may take your abduction a while to come back. I would say by 3-4 months your motion should be close to back to normal, although maybe not completely, and realistically, it may NEVER be what it was before the accident. Hope that helps, and if you think of any questions, feel free to ask....

now where did I put that reciprocating saw?????
    Hey Phys, thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

The graft that he used is actually an artificial piece so definitely not autologous. Not sure about the type of fixation used. At this point I can raise the arm 90 degrees abduction and ~ 110-115 degrees flexion.

Now I just have to figure out if I want a tat, now that I have a nice section of my shoulder that has no feeling.
    Damn the Man, Save the Empire
    Brooklyn Velo Force