Small Neighbor Things That Still Set U Off
    RoadBikeReview Member

Small Neighbor Things That Still Set U Off

A neighbor (a block away) drives a dump truck (apparently for a living) and keeps it at his house.

It's weird, but when I hear him start it, I know there is a good chance that he will pass my house.

I can't see the truck at his house. That doesn't bother me.

The sound is unpleasant. That doesn't bother me.

The smell of diesel exhaust, even though lingering less than a minute, bothers me!

I hear that engine and dread the impending albeit brief smell!!!!

Must be decades of city cycling around buses.

You?

Master debator.
    My neighbor only burns brush and leaves when the wind is blowing directly at our house, on beautiful spring days when we want to open the windows.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    A friend of mine has a neighbor that uses his leaf blower endlessly.

I'll turn this around - several weeks ago, I notice an old man neighbor mowing my lawn one morning. (I work at home, and he goes around the whole neighborhood doing mowing jobs). This was when spring was kicking in, and my grass was pretty high. I had only mowed half the lawn once at this point of the season. The next time I tried to mow, I blew a belt on my riding mower. He noticed that a repair center had come to pick up my mower, so he said he was trying to be a good neighbor.

I'm less and less of a DIYer as I get older - I did research and take a stab at replacing the belt, but the mower was about 10 years old with very little maintenance so I hired a pro.

I wouldn't hesitate to leave my front door unlocked all day where I'm at. But I won't leave my garage open unattended for very long. Been at the same place over 20 years. The downside is that I'm no longer brave enough to do road rides from my house, that ended about five years ago. I always drive somewhere to ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    I hate when neighbors leave outdoor lights on all night. I hate the motion sensing ones, too. I grew up living out in BFE, and we didn't have a yard light. I got really used to sleeping in near complete darkness. When I went to college and had to stay in a dorm, I didn't sleep well for a long time, and still have trouble.

I don't say much though, because I'm sure I do plenty of annoying things. I always have some project going on and a small garage, so stuff spills out into the driveway and along my house often. One of our neighbors calls me Sanford.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a neighbor that called the police on me for parking on the street in front of her house.
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    My nextdoor neighbor heats his house with wood. Why? Eff if I can figure out why.

Houses here are about 30-50 feet apart.

With my neighbor's stinking 24-hour smokestack belching wood smoke from the first chill of fall until summer weather, opening windows for fresh air is a crapshoot here, from October until late April.

Opus was just napping
    "Good fences make good neighbors."

//without the irony.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Proud luddite
    We live in a generally quiet neighborhood, with the exception of my neighbor. He is a great guy, but loves to work on his vehicles for hours every single day....including his family's car, two trucks, a dune buggy, and multiple motorcycles. This involves a lot of engines being revved, vehicles idling for long periods, exhaust...and of course loud banter, music being played, etc. Drives us crazy when we want to keep our front door open when the weather is pleasant. The problem is that I think he really just likes to tinker when nothing needs to be repaired, so he is constantly out there making noise. And now other neighbors turn to him to help them with their cars, which only makes the situation worse. But he has done us several solids over the years and like I said, he is a nice guy...so we let it go. Still, some peace and quiet would be nice during our waking hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    well, one little peeve is when the slob next door gets drunk and punches his spouse out while yelling endearing things like 'eff you, you ugly cow'...

guy's a charmer.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Banned forever.....or not
    I've ratted out neighbors twice with the police, about violations of town ordinances...…
    Rule #1 No industrial vehicles. Rule #2 No overnight parking on our court.
    In the first case, neighbor had a truck with one of those cherry pickers on it.....Cops finally made him expand his driveway into his back yard so that the truck was hidden behind 8 foot cedar fence. Case #2 Police never come on our court, so Neighbor started parking a long flatbed tow truck. After leaving it there for two or three nights a week, for a few months, I called it in.....Haven't seen the truck since then. Same neighbor left a disabled car on the court for three days......Bam...Car was towed away.
    Get off My Lawn.

via GIPHY

Last edited by MR_GRUMPY; 05-24-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Same neighbor left a disabled car on the court for three days......Bam...Car was towed away.
    Years ago, I had a "disabled" vehicle in my driveway in front of the garage for, well, years. The vehicle was nearly invisible from street and neighbors.

One day, a guy comes to the door, wanting to purchase said... I decline... he gives me his card.

About a month later, I get a notice from the city... coincidence?

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I have a neighbor that called the police on me for parking on the street in front of her house.
    Get even by reporting her when the grass on her lawn gets too long...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Banned forever.....or not
    That was ME...…..
    Did the car have up to date plates???.....If it did, it could sit.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

a real member's member
    next door neighbors on one side don't speak english. neighbors on the other grow and sell pot, maybe other stuff, i don't know. but the guy drives a sweet, baby blue 911, so, at least he has taste. the guy's yard across the street is so bright during xmas, nasa can see it from space. the weirdo couple in the purple house a couple houses down hate that guy and let me know it. me, i really love it here. so do the crows and squirrels. and my cat, gus.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So many trees here I can't really see the neighbours and they can't see us. And it is generally super quiet.

However across the lagoon is some military land.

Two weeks ago on a Sunday the reserves were over there shooting a howitzer once every minute for FIVE HOURS non stop. Luckily that doesn't happen often, but then there are the helicopters. Mostly the big Cormorants. They seem to practice flying in low to dropoff-pickup soldiers and frogmen .. and do it for 3 hours nonstop, over and over and over and over. It happens a few days a month. Incredibly noisy, often flying 100 feet directly over my house. I rue the day we selected our real estate agent who never told us about this.

Actually I didn't mind the howitzers, as they do not make a racket nonstop, given the 60 seconds of quiet in between shots. But the helicopters I detest.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    So many trees here I can't really see the neighbours and they can't see us. And it is generally super quiet.

Two weeks ago on a Sunday the reserves were over there shooting a howitzer once every minute for FIVE HOURS non stop. Luckily that doesn't happen often, but then there are the helicopters. Mostly the big Cormorants. They seem to practice flying in low to dropoff-pickup soldiers and frogmen .. and do it for 3 hours nonstop, over and over and over and over. It happens a few days a month. Incredibly noisy, often flying 100 feet directly over my house. I rue the day we selected our real estate agent who never told us about this.

Actually I didn't mind the howitzers, as they do not make a racket nonstop, given the 60 seconds of quiet in between shots. But the helicopters I detest.
    I can sympathize. At our old house, we bought the place in the winter. We didn’t realize until the spring how close it was to the state fairgrounds. May-September every Friday night they did dirt track races, tractor pulls, etc. Motors so loud you couldn’t hear the TV in your own living room even with all the doors and windows closed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member

<< gigglesnorts >>

I live quite close to a National Cemetery and Memorial Day celebrations bring out flyovers from nearby base, choppers in the area and cannon fire on the hour (two shots). Occasionally, they bring in a Howitzer.

I applaud the celebrations but even though I know the cannon shot is coming, I don't have the attention span to remember, so I still... jump.

Russian Troll Farmer

When I was a kid, the house we had was near a rock quarry, and all summer long, at least 4 times a day they blasted with dynamite. Shook the whole house, and sounded like a bomb went off, sometimes complemented with a could of dust. But after about 10 years, the quarry shut down, and they sold the land......

.....to a gun club. Then, all weekend long (and most weeknights when the weather was good...), it sounded like a war zone, with firearms being discharged almost non-stop until dusk.

I'm not sure which was worse....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am that neighbor....my lawn suckls even though i poor $$$ scotts fertilizer on it...My driveway will never get sealed, n I leave my trash can out till the day after pickup.
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

Darling of The Lounge
    I believe one of my neighbors is practicing thelema. Lots of cars parked in front of the house 'til the wee hours of the morning. The sound of female screams and muffled chanting. All oddly punchuated by shadows wildly dancing, framed in the windows, and bathed in flickering candlelight.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I believe one of my neighbors is practicing thelema. Lots of cars parked in front of the house 'til the wee hours of the morning. The sound of female screams and muffled chanting. All oddly punchuated by shadows wildly dancing, framed in the windows, and bathed in flickering candlelight.
    ^^^^Тоже самое+++
    And they all plant flowers extremely close to the grassy sections of their landscape borders causing their properties to look like sheit with uncut tall grass turing to weeds.

And Gnomes!