Smart phone upgrade concerns
    Russian Troll Farmer

Smart phone upgrade concerns

I was probably nearly the last person here to upgrade to a smart phone about 2-3 years ago. Being miserly, I bought a fairly cheap Samsung phone, which has served me well until now. My new car has Android Auto, and it seems my el-cheapo smart phone is the main reason why it's so glacially slow to connect or to switch screens. As a result, I'm looking to upgrade, most likely to a Google Pixel 3a. But, this being my first time changing smartphones, I'm unclear on what I need to do.

I've become quite dependent on my apps, especially Strava, Waze, Tune-In radio, my local supermarket chain app, BBC radio app, as well as various news and weather apps, etc. Transferring them seamlessly is what I need to be able to do, since re-downloading and re-setting favorites and passwords would take a LOT of time. I've been told that Samsung makes a app which can do that.

So, I need advice. Is a Pixel 3a a good phone? How is the battery life? Any downsides? Also, how about that transfer app, or any others available likewise?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Weed
    I can't help you with the Pixel but I do know the Samsung content transfer app works and is easy to do. I think they may call it Smart Switch or something like that.

I have Verizon and I think they have a separate content transfer app so maybe check your carriers site to see if they have that.
    Last edited by zyzbot; 5 Days Ago at 12:42 PM.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I was probably nearly the last person here to upgrade to a smart phone about 2-3 years ago. Being miserly, I bought a fairly cheap Samsung phone, which has served me well until now. My new car has Android Auto, and it seems my el-cheapo smart phone is the main reason why it's so glacially slow to connect or to switch screens. As a result, I'm looking to upgrade, most likely to a Google Pixel 3a. But, this being my first time changing smartphones, I'm unclear on what I need to do.

I've become quite dependent on my apps, especially Strava, Waze, Tune-In radio, my local supermarket chain app, BBC radio app, as well as various news and weather apps, etc. Transferring them seamlessly is what I need to be able to do, since re-downloading and re-setting favorites and passwords would take a LOT of time. I've been told that Samsung makes a app which can do that.

So, I need advice. Is a Pixel 3a a good phone? How is the battery life? Any downsides? Also, how about that transfer app, or any others available likewise?

Samsung phones complete relabel and reorganize things....so I cannot tell you where to look, exactly. The Pixel 3A is a great budget device IMHO. What carrier are you on?

SOMEWHERE in the Settings app....there's a Google account "backup" preference, for saving all your installed apps and passwords (Wifi, etc) and $hit to Google, for easy restore when you migrate to a new device, by just logging into your Google account on the new device. It may, depending on how reliant you are on Samsung apps, also bacup your SMS history and call log for easy restore/migration.

Google has made this super easy. Now. The trick is making yourself unreliant on Samsung.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "