Snow near DC

Thread: Snow near DC

Lets Go Hokies!!!

Snow near DC

Finally, it snows here. I miss the snow since I've moved here. At home it was such a common occurance that I took it for granted.

But the way people freak out absolutely kills me. Its hilarious. Schools close at the mention of snow flurries. VDOT trucks sit running on the side of the road with full loads of salt just waiting to get the go-ahead to start spreading. And this is full hours before the snowfall begins.

And don't think for a moment that you'll be able to go to the grocery store, and certainly not for a crucial french toast ingredient. Always the first to go. I'd like to think that if nothing else, people are eating some yummy french toast while they sit at home and watch the 1inch of accumulation.

People say its not the south here. I beg to differ. At least I'll get to go home early, since everyone else does too
    Its not over till you're underground

http://hokierider.blogspot.com

AIE
    midnight melon mounter
    A home should not be without the ingredients necessary for French toast. What were you lacking?

Eggnog French toast is on the menu for this weekend. Mmmm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used to live about 75 miles north of DC and we wouldnt close school except for what seemed like blizzards. I remember an ice storm that came through one day and my dad had to drive us down to my grandmothers because the bus wouldnt come to our house. we were crossing downed power lines trying to get there.

GIMME MY BIKE!
    What amuses me even more than this uber-prepared-ness is the complete lack of preparation that ensues after a REAL snowstorm in these parts. We got 30" of snow a few years ago and Maryland was so under-prepared it was actually comical. They didn't bother to send out the snow plows or salt trucks until a good 15" had fallen, causing all kinds of havoc on the roadways. When they finally came to plow the roads by my apartment complex, it was three days later. I had dug out my car already... and the plows encased it in a new covering of slush as they went by. Lovely.

What sucks is that I need eggs to bake some Norwegian Christmas cookies tonight... which means I need to brave the grocery store after work. Fortunately, I only eat organic, vegetarian fed (read: expensive) eggs, so they'll be plenty left... but the madhouse that I'm going to encounter does not endear me to the American public.

It's not like the ground is cold enough for this to even stick...
    Harrow: "You have to finish it, lad. You have to finish it. For a man to lay beaten... and yet breathing? It makes him a coward."

Inara: "It's humiliation."

Mal: "Sure. It would be humiliating. Having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood... Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right."

Lets Go Hokies!!!
    We're close to having an inch here at work in Woodbridge, but thats in the woods, not on the road.

When I first moved to the area for real, not just for the summers during college, it snowed pretty good. I was supposed to start a new job doing tree work the day after the big snow. Boss calls and says "don't come, we're not sending out crews anyway". It was like that for 3 days. The road I was living on didn't even get plowed for 2 of those days. It was the most rediculous thing I'd seen. My dad was on the town council at home, and if people's roads weren't plowed within a few hours of snowfall we'd get nasty phone calls. Here its whole days. My road now doesn't usually get plowed at all.

Alex, thankfully I am not lacking in any french toast supplies, and I only have to cook for myself tonight, so there will be no trips to the grocery store. Although Vons cookies sound good, so maybe I'll do some baking. Nothing makes a cold snowy night better than fresh baked goods and hot chocolate.

your text here
    you are getting what we in the midwest got yesterday. nothin too big, but there is nothing else that they consider news worthy. i have noticed in the past few years they have warnings, watches, and advisories much more now. the "snow advisory" they put out last night had near-death overtones.

i was able to get out and run 3.5 miles. i love running in foul weather. i forgot how the snow stings the eyes. but i was able to get a really nice, thick layer of snow and ice in my goatee, eye brows, and eye lashes. my kid thought it was the coolest thing.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Lets Go Hokies!!!
    I have cheapo Performance sunglasses with interchangable lenses, so when its snowing I just put in the clear ones to run. The dog and I will probably do 2 or 3 today. He loves the snow.

middle aged wheelsucker
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRider
    Finally, it snows here. I miss the snow since I've moved here. At home it was such a common occurance that I took it for granted.

But the way people freak out absolutely kills me. Its hilarious. Schools close at the mention of snow flurries. VDOT trucks sit running on the side of the road with full loads of salt just waiting to get the go-ahead to start spreading. And this is full hours before the snowfall begins.

And don't think for a moment that you'll be able to go to the grocery store, and certainly not for a crucial french toast ingredient. Always the first to go. I'd like to think that if nothing else, people are eating some yummy french toast while they sit at home and watch the 1inch of accumulation.

People say its not the south here. I beg to differ. At least I'll get to go home early, since everyone else does too
    Close the schools, raid the grocery stores and buy all of the milk and bread. Have the local weathermen(women) incite panic in the masses.
    That's how we roll in Richmond, VA.
    "Better to pin a number on and finish last, than never to pin a number on at all. Racing's cool."

"Coolhand"

your text here

i have tried that...

but the snow always turns to water, making it hard to see.

after the first 1/2 mile i get used to the stinging. either that, or my eyelashes are snowed up enough that new flakes cant get through.

i looked like cold miser.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRider
    I have cheapo Performance sunglasses with interchangable lenses, so when its snowing I just put in the clear ones to run. The dog and I will probably do 2 or 3 today. He loves the snow.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Quote Originally Posted by millerinva
    Close the schools, raid the grocery stores and buy all of the milk and bread. Have the local weathermen(women) incite panic in the masses.
    That's how we roll in Richmond, VA.
    I really don't get why people rush out to buy extra milk, bread and toilet paper. What do people think? That they're gonna be snowed in for a week? That the trucks won't be able to make it to the stores to re-stock? This is DC, people. We get snowed in for real maybe once a year, and that lasts a day or two, tops.

Dum basses.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

RoadBikeReview Member
    grew up in DC but went to school in Potomac and it used to seem like they'd close school for anything, even if there was only like a quarter of an inch in northern Montgomery County and nothing was on the ground down here. It was great cuz my sisters went to school in DC and they never got off. Can't even remember the last time it snowed in DC before January though. I think the first snow last winter didn't come until late February or so.

Go Blue
    I am stuck in the Manchester, NH, airport trying to get home to Baltimore. The weather is fine here, but the dusting of snow in the Mid Atlantic this morning has screwed up air traffic. Throughout the day, I have been checking in with my office and my family. If I were to believe one of the people in my office, I would think that there was a blizzard (my assistant was complaining throughout the day because my partners would not close the office for a "snow emergency.") On the other hand, my teenaged daughters who did not want to be stranded at home after school told me that there "really was no snow at all." All I hope is that by the time that I eventually make it to BWI tonight that the Baltimore drivers who freak out at the first sighting of a snowflake will be barricaded in their houses with a month's supply of milk, toilet paper and white bread, and the roads will be clear for my drive home.
    Last edited by MarkS; 12-05-2007 at 08:28 PM.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

I was gunna reply earlier but I couldn't find the :rofl: smiley. I remember the panic (prompted by the media) that would arise at every little snowfall in Baltimore/DC...insane.

I was even more amused last year when Portland got two whole inches of snow. My wife (a teacher) didn't have to work but for a single day in a week. The whole city essentially shut down...I don't think we even have plows here. I'm sure everyone saw the video of that Volvo SUV pinballing down a hill over on the west side.

Game on, b*tches!
    Dude, it happens here in PA, too. 1st flake falls and it's open season on eggs, bread and milk. WTF?? I've lived here my entire life and can only remember 1x in the past 2 decades that I was actually "snowed in", and that was for like 2 days, max. Jeebus, peoples are idjucts.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

middle aged wheelsucker
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboy389
    I really don't get why people rush out to buy extra milk, bread and toilet paper. What do people think? That they're gonna be snowed in for a week? That the trucks won't be able to make it to the stores to re-stock? This is DC, people. We get snowed in for real maybe once a year, and that lasts a day or two, tops.

Dum basses.
    Ya, it's nuts.
    "Better to pin a number on and finish last, than never to pin a number on at all. Racing's cool."

"Coolhand"

Palm trees & sunshine!
    I just got in from work and had to stop at the store.... there apparently was a run on milk today. The cupboards were almost completely bare. Unreal. There's less than an 1" on the ground. Some of my folks spent 4 hours commuting in this morning.

It's not like we never get snow. There's no excuse for people to be so damned stupid. People who can't handle their 4WD SUV in the snow at speeds above 2.5mph should be killed.

If only I could install disintegrator rays on my car.

supervillain

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

We got about 4" at home just above Georgetown.

I did a walkabout on the Mall at lunch and I would say there was more than a dusting but not much more.

The riding was fine but listening to the traffic reports it sounds like a disaster out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Nice photos as per usual MB1

It "almost" snowed here last week and people were freaking. You'd think these idjuts would figure it out. I bet they're the same people who drift their SUV's into a snowbank on Hood because they don't "get" braking. I just stay inside until the crazy's get their ya-ya's out and hope there's enough beer in the fridge to last the duration...which is usually until the local news figures out the public isn't buying it any more...this time.

Grey Manrod
    I passed 6 wrecks as I drove in this AM. Honestly, there was a period of time when things were really, really slick. It was kinda weird in that it went from really treacherous to not bad at all in just a few minutes.

There's too many transplants in this area. People who have never driven in snow + people from snow country who think we're wusses = accidents. Half the people drive WAY under the speed limit, while the other half speeds to get around them. Not a good combo, IMO.

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    I am stuck in the Manchester, NH, airport trying to get home to Baltimore. .
    Made it home to Baltimore.

To give you some idea of what the air schedule looked like tonight, I arrived at BWI an hour later than I should have by switching to a flight that should have left two hours before my scheduled flight (which was going to be three or four hours late). I have to give the Southwest personnel credit where it is due -- they were busting their @sses in Manchester to move flights for everyone at the airport so that we could get home as quickly as possible.

When I arrived at BWI, there was about 4 inches of snow on my car. The roads from the airport to my house (I-95 and the Baltimore Beltway) were cleared of snow, but very wet. There were no delays on the ride home, but I did slide a little as I turned into the road that leads to my house. I hope that the roads are not covered with ice tomorrow morning -- after spending most of the past 18 hours in airports, airplanes and cars so that I could attend a two hour meeting, I really need a bike ride. If I cannot ride tomorrow, that may be the straw that breaks the camel's back and gets me to but studded tires so that I can me like MB1 and Miss M when it snows.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

A Canadian in Sweden
    Wow, what a driving video smudge. It's been a while since I've seen that. What a difference between winters in northern and southern Sweden. Rain in the south, cold and snow in the north. Where do you think I'd rather be? It sucks to live south sometimes. Yes, the cycling season is longer, but we would much rather have snow and lots of it than rain.
    Albert (5 years old) to Uncle Peter (family friend): "Why don't we play another card game, something you can win at."

More cowbell!
    We got about 2 inches of the white stuff in Gettysburg, PA. My 25 mile commute on major roads took me over an hour last night because of idjuts. It's painful to say the least. I grew up in western NY with lake effect snow where we wouldn't see the pavement for 3 months on smaller roads because of the snow-pack on it. I hate southern drivers. That is all.