So I went in for electrive shoulder surgery... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I abhor recliners, fact is, I have a lot of trouble sitting still. I am pretty sure that I get enough exercise, that's usually why I am stiff and sore!
    Your recovery is during sleep, though. An example was my father in law who got up mid-nights from an aching back to the recliner for years. When we were home caring I noticed their mattress label circa Sears & Roebuck 1978. A brick.

He was extremely active until his late 80's. He completely renovated the home we moved him into, inside and outside. Moved walls, refinished the basement, both a wood shop and living space, added french drains, sledge hammered the 2 garage flooring and re-poured a new one, and extended a 1/2 bathroom. One summer he dug ditches on each side of the house by hand and shovel, six foot deep and 50 foot long for underground dry wells from roof rain spouts tying in both side neighbors too. Completed that with a retired engineer who was 86 of age. The even rolled the grass into sod and relayed it once the job was done.

All that to say, I studied something during my home caring. For one, the mattress was the culprit. The day we brought him to the mall to test a sleep number, he fell asleep immediately during the initial test. When bought and installing it, and he never moved all night. He woke in the same position he initially laid in. I also found that the blanket weight was causing his feet to bend downwards causing his achilles tendon to retract. That first footing out from the bed had always been painful. I installed a lift bar and that pain dissipated immediately. Towards the end he still equipped himself each morning in painter pant, white shirt and a pocket protector, various ledgers on building mathematics and a 40 year old tape measure, but became more of a foremen then the forefront in his daily objectives. Had we caught these little issues earlier on we may have made them both happier. Who's to say?

I just got through reading this on sleep position. True or not, being in bed for a quarter of ones life can impact great and not so great. The body needs its down time for recovery. Sleep is absolutely important.

Btw, firewood is not a hobby for some of us. I have gone through almost 3 cords already. Furnace was turned on for my mom's 90th birthday party at our house, then it was shut back off.
    I actually made that remark tongue in cheek. That's a brutal work and always have admire your perseverance.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Huh? Double post? Not so much, I read your response via email., lol. Recovery during sleep, what a concept, especially since I have not slept well since my first daughter was born. I keep waking up so predators don't eat my babies. (hell, her babies are damn near old enough to fend for themselves) Good thing they weren't dependent on my wife. She sleeps like a rock.
    I was previewing my post and hit send prior to completing it.

So I grabbed and rewrote, edited spelling an train of thought.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Oh and I'm 2 on and 2 off. Never more than 4 at a given sleep, and never really, ever hungry [or the feel of it]. Can easily go 24 hr without anything but a cup of coffee on an active day, but weakness reminds me its probably time for something. Oddly the more I cycle, the less of an appetite too.

Certainly broken. Perhaps in search of a kickstand.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Oh and I'm 2 on and 2 off. Never more than 4 at a given sleep, and never really, ever hungry [or the feel of it]. Can easily go 24 hr without anything but a cup of coffee on an active day, but weakness reminds me its probably time for something. Oddly the more I cycle, the less of an appetite too.

Certainly broken. Perhaps in search of a kickstand.
    .... 2 on 2 off, so predators would only get part of your kids! I understand the lack of hunger thing, I pretty much force myself to eat. I actually got down to 118 last summer. Same as the day I graduated from high school in 1974
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    I actually made that remark tongue in cheek. That's a brutal work and always have admire your perseverance.
    I know... As was mine.

Here I sit, by the fire, with my feet up on the ottoman, listening to The Mavericks on the stereo.... All warm and toasty! I can't imagine not burning wood. My shoulders go and I am so screwed.

Actually, I injured my right shoulder, I was on my sister's roof shoveling snow, put it under a block of snow/ice and pushed down. I heard a pop and saw stars!! I babied it for 2 years and today, there are no complications, it apparently healed!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Back on Tropics.
    Last edited by Eretz; 12-30-2018 at 07:18 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good article by a doctor who had TKR that wouldn't heal.

https://www.oregonlive.com/health/20...ldnt-heal.html

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post

In retrospect, it's crazy that I elected to do this, but it was bothering me for six years and it's finally fixed.

/end rant
    Well done--deal with it and be done.

My right shoulder--twice separated from bike crashes--is a bit funky, and it decided to stop working a coupla years ago. Went to the local sports med/orthopedist guy--he sent me on to the physios--'surgery later if you need it' he says...

I'll be darned--the physio (even with the limited sessions that our cheap-ass insurance paid for) got me doing exercises, freed it up, and it has been OK--but as someone else said, I know that it has been damaged, but rarely feel more than that...
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12