So I went in for electrive shoulder surgery...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 9W9W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,634

    So I went in for electrive shoulder surgery...

    I have fantastic insurance through my wife. 0% due, everything covered, providers elbow each other to participate. I've been complaining of a dull ache and sharp pain from time to time as well as bicep weakness. My surgeon suggested a shoulder "clean out", some bone shaving to remove the arthritis that showed on the MRI I had done. Ten days and you'll be back to normal he said. Ten days? Alright, that sounds good to me. Let's do it! I'd like to be able to swim in the future with the kid and if insurance is covering all of it.

    I wake up from surgery in the recovery room and he walks over shortly after "Listen, when we were inside we noticed a labrum tear and I had to put in hardware to repair. 3-6 months". Wait, what!?

    I'm four weeks out of a 2 anchor SLAP repair, AC clavicle/joint shave/resection. Sling was taken off 1 week post op. I didn't need any painkillers, I took maybe six percs total and nothing else, though I did sleep in a recliner position for the first few days. My range of movement restrictions were removed today and I can begin to rotate externally, not that I can actually do it. I'm still unable to lift, pull or hold anything heavier than 3-5 lbs and have many weeks of PT left. I haven't been able to lift my toddler or play with my kid in some time and am getting a bit bummed out considering I have 8 weeks to go... and then another 4-8 to fully strengthen. I'm told the anchors don't fully absorb into the bone until 1-2 years out.

    Snowboarding season was over before it even began, but I hope to be out on the bike by March.

    In retrospect, it's crazy that I elected to do this, but it was bothering me for six years and it's finally fixed.

    /end rant
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

    LOLOLOL

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,487
    Quit whining', you wanted it fixed and now it is. Would you not have the wore out ball joints on your car repaired because you wanted to drive the car across the country?

    It needed being done so you had it done, you'll be happier later.
    Too old to ride plastic

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,791
    About when I was in my late 50’s, my ortho informed me that the partially torn bicep tendon, that was only one of the things wrong with my shoulder, was not repairable (by this ortho) as “ I was too old”. Seems after mid 50’s the recovery is too painful and many, many months. They snip it at let it hang and tell you to avoid lifting heavy stuff. Yeah, thanks.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: GlobalGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    433
    Sorry to hear about the injuries and the surprise news upon waking up from surgery. Shoulders are complicated joints and depending upon the injury are tough and long to rehab. They make knees seem simple.

    In both shoulders, I have labrum tears, tendon impingements, A/C arthritis and bone spurs with a minor tear in the left supraspinatus muscle and moderate arthritis. The right shoulder has severe advanced arthritis with bicep impingement and signs of degenerative break down of the rotator cuff. The right glenohumeral joint grinds audibly all the time.

    I was offered surgery three years ago and I said no way. I'm 72 and very active and healthy so no way would the surgery be worth it or common sense warranted if I wanted to continue my lifestyle. I will just live with it.

    A friend of mine that is 59 had tears in the labrum of both shoulders about one year ago. She was off work 4-6 months which was the time it took her to rehab. (And she is a hard-nosed work at type person as far as doing rehab.)

    Good luck to you man.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 9W9W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    About when I was in my late 50’s, my ortho informed me that the partially torn bicep tendon, that was only one of the things wrong with my shoulder, was not repairable (by this ortho) as “ I was too old”. Seems after mid 50’s the recovery is too painful and many, many months. They snip it at let it hang and tell you to avoid lifting heavy stuff. Yeah, thanks.
    Yeah, I read similar things about older patients not being offered surgical repair (late 40's and up though I guess dependent on lifestyle and condition). Right now, though I can move it around, it feels like it's "pinned" on my body, instead of being an natural extension of it. Like I'm carrying it around.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

    LOLOLOL

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 9W9W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    A friend of mine that is 59 had tears in the labrum of both shoulders about one year ago. She was off work 4-6 months which was the time it took her to rehab. (And she is a hard-nosed work at type person as far as doing rehab.)
    Good luck to you man.
    She had both done at the same or around the same time? That's wild! Having both arms done would mean no lifting/pulling/carrying ability of any kind.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

    LOLOLOL

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    About when I was in my late 50’s, my ortho informed me that the partially torn bicep tendon, that was only one of the things wrong with my shoulder, was not repairable (by this ortho) as “ I was too old”. Seems after mid 50’s the recovery is too painful and many, many months. They snip it at let it hang and tell you to avoid lifting heavy stuff. Yeah, thanks.
    I had a grade 3 shoulder separation with a torn rotator cuff at 57 years of age(2011) and had two surgeons tell me it didn't need fixing. I disagreed and had it repaired, and haven't looked back. Complete mobility and strength equal to other side. The only thing that is different is that I am "aware" of the repaired shoulder. No pain, it just isn't invisible, for lack of a better word, as is the other one.

    There never was any pain. I woke up from surgery with an epidural that was removed on the third day and needed nothing for the pain once it was removed. It was a long recovery back from the surgery tho.
    Too old to ride plastic

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 9W9W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    The only thing that is different is that I am "aware" of the repaired shoulder. No pain, it just isn't invisible, for lack of a better word, as is the other one.
    Right now, though only weeks out, I feel as if my shoulder is "pinned on" to my body and not a natural extension of it. I hope just like with prosthetic and teeth, after a while you get used to it, and what you are describing is something different than what I feeling now.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

    LOLOLOL

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,487
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    Right now, though only weeks out, I feel as if my shoulder is "pinned on" to my body and not a natural extension of it. I hope just like with prosthetic and teeth, after a while you get used to it, and what you are describing is something different than what I feeling now.
    Nothing like I understand your description. More of an awareness of it being there. It works just like the other, but while the other goes unnoticed during movement the repaired one is felt during movement. I haven't spoke with the surgeon in the years since the repair but wonder if maybe it's the stretching of scar tissue that I feel. That's just a guess tho.

    But it feels like it's mine and belongs there, a natural appendage and nothing "pinned" there.
    Too old to ride plastic

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Akirasho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,870
    What is this thing called "insurance"?

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 9W9W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    What is this thing called "insurance"?
    It's when your spouse is employed by a corrupt, bloated, union who made unrealistic commitments and now feasts on its own rotting flesh as it guts its coffers in a slow motion downward spiral. Until then, $0 copays, $200 annual deductible (family), $5 prescriptions, vision, dental...

    I went from paying $1,875 for COBRA (multiply that by twelve!) to being a part of the most cush insurance plan known to man.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

    LOLOLOL

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Akirasho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,870
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    It's when your spouse is employed by a corrupt, bloated, union who made unrealistic commitments and now feasts on its own rotting flesh as it guts its coffers in a slow motion downward spiral. Until then, $0 copays, $200 annual deductible (family), $5 prescriptions, vision, dental...

    I went from paying $1,875 for COBRA (multiply that by twelve!) to being a part of the most cush insurance plan known to man.
    … so, by "union", you mean "Member of Congress"? Don't answer, I'd hate for your thread to be moved to Politics.

    SRSLY, heal well.

  13. #13
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,914
    After reading this thread, my limp, early morning immobility and terrible hand and finger pains seem mild in comparison to others. Mid season, I just begin to feel nimble once more. Note to future: Never stop moving.

    9W9W, I wish you a great recovery. Keep us updated, please.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: GlobalGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Note to future: Never stop moving.
    Nowhere will one find better medical advice than above!

  15. #15
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,914

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    After reading this thread, my limp, early morning immobility and terrible hand and finger pains seem mild in comparison to others. Mid season, I just begin to feel nimble once more. Note to future: Never stop moving.

    9W9W, I wish you a great recovery. Keep us updated, please.
    And here I thought that getting out of bed and walking around like Frankenstein every morning was owned by me.
    Too old to ride plastic

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: GlobalGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    And here I thought that getting out of bed and walking around like Frankenstein every morning was owned by me.
    When I first wake up in the morning I have to call a cab to get to the restroom. Two cups of coffee and two hours later my heart starts

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,487
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    When I first wake up in the morning I have to call a cab to get to the restroom. Two cups of coffee and two hours later my heart starts
    That's gotta get expensive if you need to get up and pee during the night.
    Too old to ride plastic

  19. #19
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,914
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    That's gotta get expensive if you need to get up and pee during the night.
    This ended up being an amusing thread with some great replies.

    Rule 1 of injured club: Spit and rub some dirt on it. Even if you see bone. Duct tape is a miracle remedy.
    Last edited by Eretz; 12-28-2018 at 04:13 PM.

  20. #20
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    40,031
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    That's gotta get expensive if you need to get up and pee during the night.
    at least when I get up to pee, I REALLY pee, and no cab service where I live!

    I feel pretty good in the morning, BUT, by 10:00 PM I am officially handicapped
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

  21. #21
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,914
    Here's my science on the limping, or the lack of mobility mornings.

    • Bed mattress well aged and in serious need of replacement
    • Recliners are eViL and should never be purchased
    • Holding one's weight during the work day [upright]
    • Hydration evenings, and I mean cutting out food after sun down
    • Exercise daily and a good indicator of good exercise is salt stains over outwear and 1 hr of walking
    • High tolerance to the living-room furniture, TV and living up North

    /side note
    • Mix and repeat, chop wood for a hobby too

    via GIPHY
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

  22. #22
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    40,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Here's my science on the limping, or the lack of mobility mornings.

    • Bed mattress well aged and in serious need of replacement
    • Recliners are eViL and should never be purchased
    • Holding one's weight during the work day [upright]
    • Hydration evenings, and I mean cutting out food after sun down
    • Exercise daily and a good indicator of good exercise is salt stains over outwear and 1 hr of walking
    • High tolerance to the living-room furniture, TV and living up North

    /side note
    • Mix and repeat, chop wood for a hobby too
    I abhor recliners, fact is, I have a lot of trouble sitting still. I am pretty sure that I get enough exercise, that's usually why I am stiff and sore!

    Btw, firewood is not a hobby for some of us. I have gone through almost 3 cords already. Furnace was turned on for my mom's 90th birthday party at our house, then it was shut back off.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: mtrac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,415
    My lower back is sometimes stiff when I get out of a chair.

  24. #24
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,914
    Double post

  25. #25
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    40,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Double post
    Huh? Double post? Not so much, I read your response via email., lol. Recovery during sleep, what a concept, especially since I have not slept well since my first daughter was born. I keep waking up so predators don't eat my babies. (hell, her babies are damn near old enough to fend for themselves) Good thing they weren't dependent on my wife. She sleeps like a rock.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Stage 2. The dawn of shoulder to shoulder racing.
    By PBL450 in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-02-2017, 12:14 PM
  2. Workers, UP! Shoulder to shoulder,
    By OES in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-01-2012, 04:17 PM
  3. Orthopeeps or those who had shoulder surgery
    By snapdragen in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 01:25 PM
  4. 2nd shoulder surgery - just a "cleanup"
    By Qstick333 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 05:58 PM
  5. Another shoulder pain question... Do I nead surgery
    By CT2 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 07:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.