So, What Is It With People & Gravity? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Yes, excellent points. "Seems as though the news is filled with more than the usual number of . . ." does not quantitively prove the existence of a trend - more likely the result of selection bias on the part of both publishers and readers.

People sometimes fall down, as ever it was.
    People ALWAYS fall DOWN........ Just saying!

Edit :if they didn't go down, it would not be falling!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Yes. You may quote me and reference me in your scientific papers.
    The problem for me is that in order to write scientific papers I have to be like smart and stuff. Hopefully some day they will lower the standards. One can only hope.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    The problem for me is that in order to write scientific papers I have to be like smart and stuff. Hopefully some day they will lower the standards. One can only hope.
    Do a liberal arts course, you can be a doctor and still stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    It's full of factual errors. :nono:

gazing from the shadows
    Anyone can write scientific papers.

Getting the published in an academic journal or book, that's the trick. And that takes more perseverance and work than smarts. Find something similar, copy the form, get rejected over and over again while changing it in response to reviews, eventual publication. All for the reward of $0.

Technically, in a way, posting it here is "publishing" it. Which takes no work for the same $0 reward.

Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I launched a formal written protest. Apparently, they must have a scanner that automatically rejects any proposed experiments with the word "Cheetos" in the text.
    I found exactly one academic paper with Cheetos in the title. Canít Stomach It: How Michael Pollan et al. Made Me Want to Eat Cheetos. Skimmed it lightly. My take? Meh. Reads like someone took some lecture material they developed for college classes and wrote an essay with it. Not a study really, more of a critical analysis of food scolds. Which makes sense, since it was published in Gastronomica, the Journal of Critical Food Studies.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Do a liberal arts course, you can be a doctor and still stupid.
    Still going to have to score well on the GREs and have good grades as an undergrad to get admitted to programs. Stupid, no. Not particularly smart, sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Anyone can write scientific papers.

Getting the published in an academic journal or book, that's the trick. And that takes more perseverance and work than smarts. Find something similar, copy the form, get rejected over and over again while changing it in response to reviews, eventual publication. All for the reward of $0.

Technically, in a way, posting it here is "publishing" it. Which takes no work for the same $0 reward.

I found exactly one academic paper with Cheetos in the title. Canít Stomach It: How Michael Pollan et al. Made Me Want to Eat Cheetos. Skimmed it lightly. My take? Meh. Reads like someone took some lecture material they developed for college classes and wrote an essay with it. Not a study really, more of a critical analysis of food scolds. Which makes sense, since it was published in Gastronomica, the Journal of Critical Food Studies.
    Why academia continues to ignore the many scientific hypotheses surrounding the food product that is Cheetos is a conundrum to me

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Why academia continues to ignore the many scientific hypotheses surrounding the food product that is Cheetos is a conundrum to me
    There is a metric shite-ton of research on crispy/crunchy in the food science literature. Texture more generally, and acoustic properties of food as well. All of which addresses the general case of which Cheetos is a particular example.

scholar.google.com shows about 1500 hits for "cheese puffs", btw.

Food science produces a lot. But food scientists generally don't eat what they develop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Another hypotenuse suggests this is known as "The Twinkie Parrot Ox".

Frog Whisperer
    I can see the footnote now.... Spike, RBR, https://forums.roadbikereview.com/lo...ty-367820.html, post #24

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Ugh. When I got my master's degree my advisor told me, "congratulations, you've fulfilled the university's requirements for your degree but I have MY OWN requirement...". He wanted me to publish my thesis research with him as a coauthor.

I had been offered a job about a month before my graduation so started that pretty much immediately while working on the journal article at night, lunch breaks, etc. Let's just say the reviewers were insufferable. I finally thought to myself, "F- this, I got my job and that's all I wanted in the first place".

Doc was a little disappointed but not too much. I even worked with him briefly at a consulting firm after he retired from teaching and he didn't give me any grief over it.

RoadBikeReview Member

Frog Whisperer
    Most people survive the fall, it's generally the landing that gets em.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12