so winter finally got here
    Frog Whisperer

so winter finally got here

winter is finally here, HOWEVER, the weather has NOT been conducive to riding outside much. Since Oct 1 I have too many roller miles and too much roller time. I am starting to understand why some people head south fo the winter. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the weather, I just hate not being able to head out the door and ride for a few hours a day.

Activities 39
    Total Distance 477.96 mi
    Average Distance 12.26 mi
    Max Distance 14.07 mi
    Total Activity Time 28:53:14 h:m:s
    Activity Calories 19,475 C
    Total Elev Gain --
    Avg Elevation Gain --
    Max Elevation Gain --
    Average Speed 16.5 mph
    Average Pace 3:38 min/mi
    Best Pace 2:23 min/mi
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    winter is finally here, HOWEVER, the weather has NOT been conducive to riding outside much. Since Oct 1 I have too many roller miles and too much roller time. I am starting to understand why some people head south fo the winter. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the weather, I just hate not being able to head out the door and ride for a few hours a day.

Activities 39
    Total Distance 477.96 mi
    Average Distance 12.26 mi
    Max Distance 14.07 mi
    Total Activity Time 28:53:14 h:m:s
    Activity Calories 19,475 C
    Total Elev Gain --
    Avg Elevation Gain --
    Max Elevation Gain --
    Average Speed 16.5 mph
    Average Pace 3:38 min/mi
    Best Pace 2:23 min/mi
    It's been one of the best Januarys here in a few years. I've got 310 miles in and will probably get another 100 this week commuting. 400 miles in January is definitely a record. We've been lucky so far on the East Coast. A lot of storms have missed us, or been just rain. Looks even better next week. I moved here from Minneapolis, where I went to graduate school. Go enough winter in that place to last me a lifetime.

Impressive riding 'Grey. For some reason, I ride kind of slow in the winter. Must be all the gear.

Heading south in the winter -- there certainly is something about getting to someplace warm -- even for a week -- in the middle of winter that makes it seem not to drag on so long.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    It's been one of the best Januarys here in a few years. I've got 310 miles in and will probably get another 100 this week commuting. 400 miles in January is definitely a record. We've been lucky so far on the East Coast. A lot of storms have missed us, or been just rain. Looks even better next week. I moved here from Minneapolis, where I went to graduate school. Go enough winter in that place to last me a lifetime.

Impressive riding 'Grey. For some reason, I ride kind of slow in the winter. Must be all the gear.

Heading south in the winter -- there certainly is something about getting to someplace warm -- even for a week -- in the middle of winter that makes it seem not to drag on so long.
    Those miles are entirely on rollers!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    It has helped me to find other outside activities to enjoy during our long winters here. I can snowshoe, ski, run, and now trail run on snowshoes so there's generally enough to keep me busy. Only thing is when it's real cold I have to dial back the length of the activities a bit as I sweat a lot and get chilled. I think it makes me appreciate riding more during the times I can, and maybe helps make me more motivated to do it on those days it's tough to get started out the door. I thankfully don't use the turbo trainer much, thank God. I dread every time I have to resort to that.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Those miles are entirely on rollers!
    Double impressive ----

A. You have the resolve to repeatedly engage in the least fun (I'd say most painful) thing you can do on a bike -- riding it inside your house.

B. Rollers instead of a trainer. Yes, rollers make you pay attention and really ride, but it's hard to watch TV or zone off riding them.

You must like pain.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    It has helped me to find other outside activities to enjoy during our long winters here. I can snowshoe, ski, run, and now trail run on snowshoes so there's generally enough to keep me busy. Only thing is when it's real cold I have to dial back the length of the activities a bit as I sweat a lot and get chilled. I think it makes me appreciate riding more during the times I can, and maybe helps make me more motivated to do it on those days it's tough to get started out the door. I thankfully don't use the turbo trainer much, thank God. I dread every time I have to resort to that.
    I cut and split firewood, and A LOT. As well as snowshoeing. I also wander around looking for the tool that I just had in my hand, A LOT!

And I did spend an hour looking for my cell phone, thought I lost it in the woods. Nope, on the bed, so why didn't it ring when I called it?

Frog Whisperer
    Double impressive ----

A. You have the resolve to repeatedly engage in the least fun (I'd say most painful) thing you can do on a bike -- riding it inside your house.

B. Rollers instead of a trainer. Yes, rollers make you pay attention and really ride, but it's hard to watch TV or zone off riding them.

You must like pain.
    One thing about rollers,when your mind wanders,the front wheel follows. I don't dare to even wipe the sweat out of my eyes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    I also wander around looking for the tool that I just had in my hand, A LOT!
    I swear I need to quit buying tools with adaptive camouflage.

Master debator.
    TOG I ran a trail running race in San Fran last weekend. It was 51F at the start, 61F at the end. I was absolutely soaked in sweat the entire time, I am used to running in the cold. The course ran above the Panoramic hwy above Stinson beach. I saw lots of mountain bikers, road cyclist, and crotch rockets and sports cars. Good reminder that not everywhere sucks like Wisconsin ;)
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    TGood reminder that not everywhere sucks like Wisconsin ;)
    I went to graduate school in Minnesota. Nice city. Nice people. That beautiful 10 days after the snow melts, but before the mosquitoes hatch ...

Got enough winter in four years to last me a lifetime. Haven't been back since.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Someone is ready for winter, but I got to ride my bike.

IMG_2214.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
    I went to graduate school in Minnesota. Nice city. Nice people. That beautiful 10 days after the snow melts, but before the mosquitoes hatch ...

Got enough winter in four years to last me a lifetime. Haven't been back since.
    https://www.pca.state.mn.us/mosquito

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Dioxide Attraction
    snip....Females lay their eggs in bunches called "rafts." Each raft can have up to 400 eggs! Once the eggs hatch, the larvae or "wigglers" swim around and eat bits of organic matter floating around in the water. You can sometimes see them at the surface of water -- they are small and their bodies move in a S-shaped motion.

The larvae go through four growth stages called "instars" before they molt into the pupa stage. The pupal stage lasts to two to three days. Then, a week after the eggs hatched, adult mosquitoes emerge from the water. Two days after emerging, female mosquitoes are ready to track you down and suck some blood so they can go make more mosquitoes. The male mosquitoes just hang out and eat flower nectar or plant juices.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Bacillus Thuregensis..... Good stuff