Socks, just socks.
    Power Napper

Socks, just socks.

Our family has generally been fiscally conservative when it comes to Christmas. We raised our kids to think of others before themselves, but they still made out fairly well come the holidays.

Well, our oldest is 21 now and the youngest is 17. In these difficult financial times we feel blessed that our son has found a job that he describes as "an absolute blast." And that our daughter is a personable and responsible young woman.

Ok, enough bragging. This year I decided that everyone on my gift list is getting socks, because hey, who doesn't like warm feet? On the Fox River web site I ran across "Socks for Soldiers." It's easy. Click on the wish list. Pick who/where you want to send socks. I sent 8 pairs to Afghanistan.

It's just socks, but what the heck. Let's keep it friendly and out of PO. If you're looking for some holiday donation, you might consider this.

http://www.foxsox.com/Catalog/category.aspx?code=SLDIR

marcy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am the friend of its happiness: when these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and its government." -Thomas Paine

waterproof*
    kewl.
    * not actually a Rock Star

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    When my new lounge kit arrived, it had a pair of S/M socks in the envelope. I already have two pair that fit. Who wants 'em?
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

Master debator.
    I was in the military, and they provided me with plenty of socks. I assume they still do in this day and age. Can I click somewhere to send them fruitcake or eggnog?
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Quote Originally Posted by theBreeze
    On the Fox River web site I ran across "Socks for Soldiers." It's easy. Click on the wish list. Pick who/where you want to send socks. I sent 8 pairs to Afghanistan.
    Cool. Great idea.

After folks send socks to soldiers, if you want to make another nice gift that does some social good, Mekong Blue scarves was started by a retired Episcopal priest, Ann Walling, who set up an organization to teach poor women in Cambodia to weave high-quality silk scarves as an alternative to going into the sex trade.
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Good thick socks that can go in a dryer rock out there. Be careful with wool, most will shrink. When I was in Iraq, someone sent good socks. Loved them. Make sure they are black