Songs that give you chills no matter how many times you hear them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

No reason for this post, I just started thinking about this after hearing one of mine recently.

There are many, but a few (I'm dating myself here, no doubt):

America the Beautiful - Ray Charles
    Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel
    Oh Holy Night - Andrea Bocelli

I hope you have fun with this.

Darling of The Lounge
    For me, a song and its lyrics should align with my mood and current situation for it to make the greatest emotional impact.

I have too many favorites to even list in my mind let alone to post here.

Road & Trail Warrior
    There are many, but...

Xanadu by RUSH. Particularly the intro when Alex comes in with the riff after the bell chimes. I can see myself on top of a mountain with arms extended. Chills every time.

What the what???
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 1 Week Ago at 05:56 AM.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

What the what???
    Heart’s version of “Stairway to Heaven” at The Kennedy Center a few years back. Jason Bonham on drums... and when that choir kicks in at the end... it always gets me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Yeah, that was an amazing performance.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    With the death of Eddie Van Halen, I'm on a rock guitar binge. My current chillers. Badge, by Cream. Maid in Heaven by Be Bop Deluxe. I Wanted Everything by the Ramones.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Pretty much every Louis Armstrong/Ella Fitzgerald duet ever recorded.

and speaking of Armstrong duet with great woman singers.....this is classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_176jJivMdA

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by D&MsDad View Post
    Oh Holy Night - Andrea Bocelli
    Quite frankly, that songs makes me want to puke. It's sung by every blowhard who doesn't have any talent, and usually loudly, at that. Extra points if you actually "fall to your knees" at the correct time. Almost the worst tune for talentless amateurs since nessun dorma...

...Which makes me wonder why of all people, Andrea Bocelli, a singer who has no real power to his voice, would want to sing a warhorse of a tune like this? It's not 'traditional', and it doesn't work well with what little voice he actually has. This was a song designed for people to belt out as loudly as possible.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    With the death of Eddie Van Halen, I'm on a rock guitar binge. My current chillers. Badge, by Cream. Maid in Heaven by Be Bop Deluxe. I Wanted Everything by the Ramones.
    Nice to see another Bill Nelson fan.

My fav version is a live one:

...and this, on the same album:

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

There are over 8 million covid cases in the United States (as of October 15th), nine months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

xxl
    After hearing this song, I wanted to go and smash every other wah pedal in the world that wasn't going to be under Jeff Beck's foot:

There are over 8 million covid cases in the United States (as of October 15th), nine months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

Spicy Dumpling
    Songs that do that remind me of moments.

1: On the last day of our Grand Canyon raft trip with JT we were a couple of miles from the takeout when one of the guides who was once a broadway singer broke the silence with a perfect rendition of Angel from Montgomery. I often get teary when I hear that song.

2: Ruby and Carlos by James McMurtry. Reminds me of driving home after seeing one of my best friends as he was being taken by cancer.

Holding back the flood
    Just don't do no good
    You can't unclench your teeth
    To howl the way you should
    So you curl your lips around
    The taste of tears and the hollow sound
    That no one owns but you
    No one owns but you
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Devoid of all flim-flam
    XXL -- I actually saw Be-Bop Deluxe live. Was it at the Santa Monica Civic? I enjoyed them a bunch but... Anyway, I can't quite remember if this was the band that, as the encores dragged on, told the audience they'd play until the audience yelled for them to stop. But I'll continue with the story anyway. Eventually the band got bogged down in endless empty riffing. I can't remember if the audience did ask them to stop, but I ended up walking out.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Mine is "Long Distance Call" on the album Fathers and Sons. Muddy Waters wails on slide guitar, sings like only he can do, and goes to a whole new level in the ending sequence.

What the Hell is going on
    "No One" - Alicia Keys
    "Death or Glory" - The Clash
    "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley (live version)
    "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg" - Ramones (The sound of the train always gets me)
    "Sail Away"- Randy Newman
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    "No One" - Alicia Keys
    "Death or Glory" - The Clash
    "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley (live version)
    "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg" - Ramones (The sound of the train always gets me)
    "Sail Away"- Randy Newman

Death or Glory.. Didn't see that one coming.

But damn that is a good song.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

What the what???

Springsteen’s “My City of Ruins” would make my list.
    “Nights in White Satin” - The Moody Blues
    Procol Harum’s “Whiter Shade of Pale”
    The Animal’s “House of the Rising Sun”
    For some reason Arlo Guthrie’s “City of New Orleans”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Opus51569; 1 Week Ago at 04:41 AM.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    XXL -- I actually saw Be-Bop Deluxe live. Was it at the Santa Monica Civic? I enjoyed them a bunch but... Anyway, I can't quite remember if this was the band that, as the encores dragged on, told the audience they'd play until the audience yelled for them to stop. But I'll continue with the story anyway. Eventually the band got bogged down in endless empty riffing. I can't remember if the audience did ask them to stop, but I ended up walking out.
    I saw them live, too, bitd, and as they were not the headliner (that'd have been Yes, IIRC*), they just went out, played a great set, took their applause, and exited the stage.

The really unexpected surprise gift of that same night was Donovan, who was assuredly past his peak by then, and I expected him to come out and bore the audience with some cosmic space love ballad ****...and instead, the dude really, really rocked (an impressive hit catalog helps). He was so much better than I had figured he would be, that I'm gonna post this now, just for Mr. Leitch:

(*The venue where I saw them was the inspiration for the Yes song, "Our Song," which was written after their July 30, 1977 performance in which the arena's interior temperature reached 126 °F (52 °C). Still remember just how sweaty everyone was).

xxl
    Who can forget the Beau Brummelstones?

Darling of The Lounge

Okay...I'll play

Still the best version of this song followed by K.D. Lang's treatment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    If by "chills" you mean seriously creepy: Tomorrow Belongs to Me, from Cabaret.

Especially these last few years.

Master debator.
    My mother's favorite Christmas album was Jim Reeves. When we were in Tanzania in 2016 for Christmas it was playing in the airport in Kilimanjaro. She passed away in 1993, but when I hear music she loved and played when we were kids I always get sad and wistful.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Proud luddite
    I’m not a religious person at all but a well sung Ave Maria can be so beautiful. At my son’s high school graduation one of the girl grads, who was about to study voice in college, sang the Ave Maria and it was the most moving song I have ever seen performed in person. There wasn’t a dry eye in the house.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    There are many but top of the list is probably Good Vibrations by the Beach Boys. Loved it as a child and still gives me chills.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Monster Mash

Too old to ride plastic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast