Southern California Weather Advisory...motivation to ride?
    Festina Lente'

Exclamation Southern California Weather Advisory...motivation to ride?

... Heat wave to continue through Monday...

Strong high pressure over the West Coast...will continue hot weather across the area through Monday. Daytime maximum temperatures will continue to rise into the 90s across most of the interior sections with isolated locations reporting temperatures to near 106 degrees... The hottest temperatures above 100 degrees will likely occur... Near record temperatures are expected to occur at the Los Angeles coasts today...

Records were tied or eclipsed in some valley and mountain locations on Friday. Near record highs are forecast again for the Valley... Mountain... and desert areas today and Sunday. In addition... near record high minimum temperatures are expected to occur tonight and possibly again Saturday night.

People planning outdoor activities through the weekend should take into consideration the very high temperatures and adjust activities accordingly. Wear loose fitting light weight clothing and drink plenty of water. Take advantage of shade and air conditioning if available. (You cant tell bent what to do!!!)

A record high temperature of 101 degrees was set at Woodland Hills/Pierce College today. This breaks the old record of 100 set in 1967.
    (thats 3 miles from Casa de Bent)

Should be a fine day.

nK
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Just start riding at 0400 and you will be fine.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

Festina Lente'
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiterrn
    Just start riding at 0400 and you will be fine.
    it is currently 0800. I think im going to wait till 1000 or 1200... hehe freakin masochist...

nK

Born from JortsŪ
    my friend had a b-day mtb ride planned for today. Its still on. Meeting at 9:30PST to ride in hot, dusty dirt. wtf? At least he's close to the coast.

come home, shower, change, and go dazzle the neighbor (or pass out on her couch).

be careful out there Bent, this is serious ****

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    my friend had a b-day mtb ride planned for today. Its still on. Meeting at 9:30PST to ride in hot, dusty dirt. wtf? At least he's close to the coast.

come home, shower, change, and go dazzle the neighbor (or pass out on her couch).

be careful out there Bent, this is serious ****
    Dude. It's going to be brutal in the hills. Nutso, friendo.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Festina Lente'
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    Dude. It's going to be brutal in the hills. Nutso, friendo.
    lets do some hill intervalz maybe?

nK

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood

Just remember to bring protection
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

Festina Lente'
    Rode to my parents house...

Had lunch, visited our dog.

I am now riding, home. I like this weather (just not the fact that its going to be 85 in my condo when I get back. Maybe go to starbucks and read...

nK

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I started my ride at 8:45. West on Burbank Blvd to Ventura Blvd. Climbed new Topanga, went over the top and then climbed back to the Valley on Old Topanga. 36 miles. 2200 feet of climbing. It took me about two and a half hours. My average speed was somewhere in the thirteens. My computer's temperature gauge said 111 degrees F., but it's usually ten degrees optimistic. Yes, a hot, slow slog. But still tons o' fun!!!
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Festina Lente'
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei
    I started my ride at 8:45. West on Burbank Blvd to Ventura Blvd. Climbed new Topanga, went over the top and then climbed back to the Valley on Old Topanga. 36 miles. 2200 feet of climbing. It took me about two and a half hours. My average speed was somewhere in the thirteens. My computer's temperature gauge said 111 degrees F., but it's usually ten degrees optimistic. Yes, a hot, slow slog. But still tons o' fun!!!
    jeez... waitta put a young wipper snapper in his place.. i only did like 20 miles, with maybe 1000ft of climbing...

thanks Mapei

But seriously, next time you do that route, let this guy know... I duno if i can average 13mph with all that climing... but hey, if you want a slow leisurely ride... lemme kno...

nK

Dec 2002
    OK, left Woodland Hls (near Pierce coincidentally) around 6am to go to Sundance Cycles ride (Kanan/Agoura Rd) which rolled around Westlake and up Westlake climb (aleady it was cooking and as steep as ever) to Mulholland. Down Encinal to PCH and up Decker (sharp, steep climb but great pavement!) then back along Encinal by golf course to Mulholland. Down Rockstore to MH to Cornell back to shop. Grabbed a soda and took Agoura Rd to Lost Hills to Las Virgenes (saw the Different Spokes Mulholland Century folks at Batista Park) over to Mulholland again. Headed east til (anything but) Cold Cyn to Malibu Cyn to PCH. Was meeting girlfriend at Cross Creek and was early so I headed north on PCH past Latigo Cyn, did a u-turn and then to Cross Creek and a nice iced coffee and walk (stagger) on the beach with girl. 75 miles/15.2mph ave. and no idea how much elevation. I am useless for the two parties we must go to tonite... Still, a wonderful day!

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Just rode from Brentwood to Manhattan Beach and back. It was beautiful along the coastline; not too hot at all.

Mediocre pictures/ride report forthcoming. Stay tuned to Commuting/Touring.
    Last edited by DrRoebuck; 05-17-2008 at 11:48 PM.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut