Spooky Cat R.I.P.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Spooky Cat R.I.P.

My 2 yr. old semi-feral male tomcat had to be put to sleep today.

He's been living part time in my yard, under my porch or occasionally in the heated and insulated cat house I put on the front porch. He started coming around for food about 20 mos. ago, I got him to the point he would sit under my leg and chow down while I stroked his side. He would also disappear for weeks, so he either had a colony he stayed with or someplace else as well as a food source. I papered the neighborhood but could never determine who else might be feeding him.

About a week or so ago he developed a limp on his front right paw that turned into a full blown problem resulting in his inability to use the paw, so he hobbled around. This became a reality check for me as I decided he needed to be trapped, neutered and released, likely to inhabit my spare bedroom ( the "kitten room") while he recovered from whatever was wrong with his paw as well as recover from surgery. Maybe, just maybe I would be able to domesticate him as he certainly acted like a cat wanting a home, even though I'm aware that domesticating a 2 year old tom cat is unlikely.

My porch is screened in so I was able to trap inside while under the guise of feeding, then it was mostly painless to get him into a pet carrier and off to the vet we went.

First thing they check is for FIV (Aids) and FeLV (Leukemia) and he tested positive for FIV.

Crap.

Only choice according to the Vet at that point is euthanasia unless I had an empty house where he could live out the rest of his life, which I didn't as we have 2 cats currently. Another crap. The Vet laid all the reasons for the decision, cannot return to a colony he might infect, he's got a likely limited lifespan, may not recover from the paw problem, etc..... etc

Crap, crap and a 3rd crap.

RIP Spooky, you were turning out OK.

Why do photo's sometimes load sideways ?, really annoying, and an apology
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spooky Cat R.I.P.-spooky.jpg   Spooky Cat R.I.P.-spooky-2-.jpg  
    Last edited by Steve B.; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:07 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry for your loss. I had a similar a couple decades ago. An extremely tiny cat (kitten like named Momma Kitty) that spawned several generations of ferals. She must have belonged to someone at some point because she (at least) was tame. I finally decided to take her in only to discover that she had an ectopic litter and did not survive her surgery.

Ironically, her offspring "littered" the neighborhood up until I took in one of her offspring's offsprings but she too had a relatively short life (about 5 years).

There are few wild cats seen these days but I might consider a rescue to befriend my doggeh.

Momma Too (feral outta Momma Kitty)

Spooge (feral out of Momma Too)

Sprocket (Spooge's last litter)

Last edited by Akirasho; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:12 PM.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    My heart goes out to all of you. I had a neighbor in the army who had a female cat that spent more time in our home and yard then him. We loved her. She passed last year, and upon the news was asked to send any photos we had to make the moment less painful.

We had hundreds over the course of 7 years.

Image?

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    What's the name?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    What's the name?
    That was Sprocket. She passes too young but you can see the "small" gene from Momma Kitty mentioned above (no pic).

Here she is meeting Maka.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm so sorry to hear about Spooky, Steve. As much as it hurts, you did the right thing for Spooky and he appreciates everything you have done for him.

I have a semi-feral living in my house and she is a doll until you try to pick her up, then she will fight you tooth & claw, lol, but she loves and appreciates every meal I have given her as I bet Spooky did. His life was short, but it included love and care, and that's what is important.

RIP Spooky.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

gazing from the shadows
    An injured cat is a stressed cat. X100 for a feral, because injury is weakness and weakness invites attacks.

You did the right thing. You were also doing the right thing. You made Spooky's life a bit better than it otherwise would have been.

Take comfort in that, as best you can.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Darling of The Lounge
    I'm not a cat person by nature, but have a soft spot for all little companion critters. Sorry that you had to take drastic measures. It sounds like you did what was best. My respect to you for that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I'm not a cat person by nature, but have a soft spot for all little companion critters. Sorry that you had to take drastic measures. It sounds like you did what was best. My respect to you for that.
    In retrospect, it’s a complicated decision made urgent when the Vet told me he was already sedated as a result of how you get blood out of a feral. They didn’t want to wake him up only to do it all again. I somewhat understand that, as I had a feral mommy cat die once after neutering surgery when she didn’t wake up.

My subsequent research told me that one school of thought, not always shared by local Vet’s, is that ferals that test positive for FIV can be released to the wild even after they test positive. Seems the percentage of ferals that test positive for either isn’t that high. Trap, neuter and release agencies rarely test as its expensive. An accurate positive result is more common in males, somewhat less in kittens and females. I had a young male cat test false positive once. As well if you neuter a male, they tend to get into fewer “fights” when they can spread the disease, so the theory goes, though I’ve had neutered males spray inside as well as defend territory inside and out, so I don’t completely buy into the theory.

Then factor in a serious injury that needs to get healed alongside healing from being neutered and required isolation inside a house for a few weeks. Possibly antibiotics to a feral trapped in a small room ?. That then results in eventual release back to the wild, still FIV positive for how long a life ?. And there’s a chance of that FIV getting transfered while in a fight.

All around a bunch of bad choices, pick one. Alongside a Vet that was likely not going to want to neuter the cat, and I respect this Vet, has given me very good and practical advice over some years. I might have had to go against her advice and find a different Vet to proceed and not make a decision to euthanize. What a mess.

So a choice I wasn’t very comfortable with and am having a lot of guilt over. More so than 2 other times when the cats that were terminally sick literally “told” me with facial and body language that it was time. This cat had no clue what was going to be his fate.

Sad decision.
    Last edited by Steve B.; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:02 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    This cat had no clue what was going to be his fate.

Sad decision.
    Thankfully, our pets don't process like that... they have no knowledge of self mortality which is a mixed blessing.

As you mentioned, not all Vets see things the same way and all you can do is advocate based on what's available.

I once took in a stray puppy that was then diagnosed with Parvo. The Vet wrote her off... but then said, "If you want to try..." which changed everything. She passed 17 years later.

You did your best.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Well, bummer.

It’s been 10 years since we lost our little black cat Matilda. She was a feral cat that we took in and she adapted well. She was very gentle with my daughter when she was born, almost like she had been around kids before.

We’ve thought about finding another, but just have never gotten around to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    That was Sprocket. She passes too young but you can see the "small" gene from Momma Kitty mentioned above (no pic).

Here she is meeting Maka.

That dog needs some cheaters if he has to have the phone book that far away to read it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I've had many cats in my many years. Eventually I discovered they largely last ten years. It doesn't matter if they're outdoor, indoor or both. You give them the best care. You love 'em while they're there. Then you get another one. Or two.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Master debator.
    Sorry about Spooky. You know animals give us such joy, it really sux to lose them. I think we imprint a part of ourselves onto their personality, or at least we think we do and they act the way they do because of that.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    In retrospect,.... This cat had no clue what was going to be his fate.

Sad decision.
    Our first chihuahua was handed to us through a half opened passenger car door departing a friend's home. He said it didn't have long to live and his sister was giving it meds for pain. The dog had ulcers and was grossly over weight. We didn't know what to say, and took him. Two-hundered and fifty miles later we arrived home and let him out. He ran to the house door. Later we learned that his entire 7-8 years he was kept trained and quiet in a closet in a carrier because his owner [a nurse] lived in boarding homes who did not accept pets.

That dog would not take a second more to deficate or pee before running back into our home and hide. After months he learned that being outside was okay and safe. My other half loved gardening for a hobby the dog relished in sunlight and heat. He was held and carried with love. His 5 years with us was remarkable. He ate natural food instead of pizza crust and scraps from his previous owner. he had full range of an entire household, an entire yard and under no condition felt infringed. He lost half his obese weight in a year. He became the gaudian of my father in law in his last days. When my friend reencounter him during high holidays at our home, he did not recognise him. We had zero clue that what we had done affected him. So, you give what you got, you got what was given and you embrace that what you have leaves.

You have done well.

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Our first chihuahua was handed to us through a half opened passenger car door departing a friend's home. He said it didn't have long to live and his sister was giving it meds for pain. The dog had ulcers and was grossly over weight. We didn't know what to say, and took him. Two-hundered and fifty miles later we arrived home and let him out. He ran to the house door. Later we learned that his entire 7-8 years he was kept trained and quiet in a closet in a carrier because his owner [a nurse] lived in boarding homes who did not accept pets.

That dog would not take a second more to deficate or pee before running back into our home and hide. After months he learned that being outside was okay and safe. My other half loved gardening for a hobby the dog relished in sunlight and heat. He was held and carried with love. His 5 years with us was remarkable. He ate natural food instead of pizza crust and scraps from his previous owner. he had full range of an entire household, an entire yard and under no condition felt infringed. He lost half his obese weight in a year. He became the gaudian of my father in law in his last days. When my friend reencounter him during high holidays at our home, he did not recognise him. We had zero clue that what we had done affected him. So, you give what you got, you got what was given and you embrace that what you have leaves.

You have done well.

So did you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I've had many cats in my many years. Eventually I discovered they largely last ten years. It doesn't matter if they're outdoor, indoor or both.
    Have to disagree. Indoor cats (where they belong) typically live significantly longer. I’ve had one cat pass at 21 years old, and four over 17. They one in my avatar is 18 years old now. Also, outdoor cats absolutely destroy songbird populations. Very bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Have to disagree. Indoor cats (where they belong) typically live significantly longer. I’ve had one cat pass at 21 years old, and four over 17. They one in my avatar is 18 years old now. Also, outdoor cats absolutely destroy songbird populations. Very bad.
    Here’s what the ASPCA says:

“If a community cat survives kittenhood, his average lifespan is less than two years if living on his own. If a cat is lucky enough to be in a colony that has a caretaker, he may reach 10 years. Community cats who live in a managed colony—a colony with a dedicated caretaker who provides spay/neuter services, regular feedings and proper shelter—can live a quite content life.”