Starting to HATE fleaBay!
    RoadBikeReview Member

Starting to HATE fleaBay!

It sucks as a seller, you can't leave neutral or negative feedback for a buyer.

I sold a Tufo Tubular to a buyer in the UK. It was shipped USPS Priority Mail in a Small Flat Rate box. I insured it.

So 2 weeks go buy and the seller says, it has not arrived. I told him to check with his customs and I will check with US Customs and USPS. Nothing with either customs and USPS tells me, because it's a flat rate package, they can't due a search for it. So all my conformation gives me or them is, it was processed at my local Mailing center for shipment OUT of the US.

So on day 16, the buyer contacts me and says it has not arrived. I told him I will apply for the insurance and refund him the next day, while I wait.

Well, he files a complaint with ebay UK and they take the funds form my Pay pal account, BEFORE I can issue a refund. Then he leaves Neutral feed back say" package got lost, but took a WHILE for a refund."

Really, 16 days for a International package? I have had stuff go to Canada an at times too 23 days because of customs.

I have a 100% Positive feedback and this was my first neutral. Yes, it does NOT affect my rating, but still. I would have left him neutral back, if I could or even negative, for being a jerk.

I am tired of ebay!
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Moderatus Puisne
    Yeah, TINA, right?

I do not sell as much any more, and, I will NOT ship internationally, not even Canada. No way, ain't gonna happen, too many risks. I certainly never leave money in my paypal account. Have you ever heard of a seller successfully defending against a paypal claim?

If I were a fraudulent buyer I could get many, many free things before they shut me down, I am sure of it.

Funny, I remember a while back eBay would "suggest ways to get you to earn more for your listings!" and they would always say "Hey, offer to ship internationally! Goods listed Internationally get an average of XX% more bids!"

They stopped doing that one... I wonder why?

banned
    Jul 2011
    Sounds like a seller problem to me! It is foolish to sell internationally when the US market has too many cusyomers that need attention. Don't blame eBay for this one.

al.
    RoadBike n00b
    I learned my lesson early on this many years ago. The first and only international sale I did was a big pain in the ass. US only after that.
    IHNIWID

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius View Post
    I certainly never leave money in my paypal account.
    Totally pointless tactic unless you're also closing the bank account the paypal account is linked to. And even then, they'll send the debt to collections if they have to.

I have all buyers registered outside the US blocked. But people still email and ask sometimes. The only way I ship anything overseas is with fedex. Its the only option with reliable tracking outside the states. But, its expensive as hell. The price usually scares away the foreign buyers. So the problem takes care of itself.

Moderatus Puisne

Really?

Paypal withdraws and deposits money from your bank account via the ACH system. They are allowed to withdraw money only when you specifically authorize them to do so, or, to "correct an error."

They are allowed to say you owe the money, of course, declare your account in violation, and, possibly, send you to collections.

If you have signed up as a business, then they will have additional rights -- I do not know all of the rules that govern business checking accounts, either.

I am confident that I could fight off a collector over the kinds of dollars a paypal transaction would be about. I am no lawyer but if you pore through the details of these things most fishy "debts" can be canned, ime.

Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    [b[Totally pointless tactic unless you're also closing the bank account the paypal account is linked to. And even then, they'll send the debt to collections if they have to.[/b]

I have all buyers registered outside the US blocked. But people still email and ask sometimes. The only way I ship anything overseas is with fedex. Its the only option with reliable tracking outside the states. But, its expensive as hell. The price usually scares away the foreign buyers. So the problem takes care of itself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you allow international buyers for bigger ticket items like frames or bikes, you also get hounded by these guys to declare the goods at much lower than actual value ( that would be crazy to agree to because if there was an insurance claim you would only get that low amount) so they can save on duties. just not worth the hassle.

Moderatus Puisne
    Yeah. When I was dumber I sold a set of pretty nice wheels to Canada, thinking, that's 200 miles away, who cares?

I insured / declared for the real value, and the guy blew a gasket at the ~$75 customs charge, wanted me to pay it, whatever. I didn't have to, but, it was stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Fignon's Barber View Post
    If you allow international buyers for bigger ticket items like frames or bikes, you also get hounded by these guys to declare the goods at much lower than actual value ( that would be crazy to agree to because if there was an insurance claim you would only get that low amount) so they can save on duties. just not worth the hassle.

Boobies!
    What USPS does not make clear is that it is only with the small flat rate box where they have no ability to track. Found that out the hard way as well.

They have origination (sometimes customs) and receipt tracking with the other sized flat rate boxes.

I have sent a few international packages, but try to manage expectations--tell everyone three weeks, which like quoting Fedex prices, tends to weed out the people who need stuff right now. So far, so good--nothing has gone missing....
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

banned
    Jul 2011
    I blocked all international bidders bidders since 1999 and haven't looked back. Too much trouble when you consider a portion of them want you to lie on declaring the value of the item. Sorry, this is a business and I only declare the amount that is listed on the final value.

As for PayPal, you should do daily sweeps and transfer all money to your bank account. This way, when you buy you can fund your payment with your credit card.

The other issue of dealing domestic only is it is easier and cheaper to deal with customer issues. I have always offered a 7 day return policy (buyer pays return shipping if they simply don't want the item) and have never had an item returned because the buyer wasn't happy or simply didn't want it. Had a few damaged in shipment claims and a couple items that had issues I overlooked because I didn't have the capability to test them. Immediately sent replacements and a return label and everyone was happy. One thing I found is if you are upfront and honest with people you have very few problems. Oh, and scammers and schemers are easy to spot and deal with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I have a cool story.

I sold a Logitech universal remote on eBay recently. Transaction went off without a hitch until I received an email from the buyer two days after it was supposed to have been delivered saying that it had yet to come in. I check the email that eBay automatically sends after end of the auction with the buyers shipping address and it matches with the UPS label that I have. I then check the buyers listed address under the contacts section of eBay and its a different address in a different city. This different address is also listed in his paypal account. I begin to get worried that I may be out some coin here.

I contact eBay and they are able to see that the buyer actually went in and changed his address after the auction ended. I get into an argument with the buyer basically stating that I was not going to do anything about the situation since he went and changed his address after the auction ended. He did not like this response and stated that you ALWAYS are supposed to ship to the paypal address and never the eBay one. I've never heard of this in 10 years of selling on eBay and have always shipped to the address on the email that eBay sends me.

Buyer then files a dispute with paypal that reverses my previous withdrawal of my paypal account to my bank account. I sent paypal the evidence that I had in a support ticket from ebay and the original email with buyer's original address and paypal ruled in my favor within three days or so. A few days later I get an email from paypal stating that the buyer has filed a chargeback with his credit card. In these type situations paypal handles all of the paperwork and informs me that I am completely in the clear.

I used to be very against what I considered high fees associated with eBay/paypal, but after my recent experience I now see that the fees are very warranted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius View Post
    Paypal withdraws and deposits money from your bank account via the ACH system. They are allowed to withdraw money only when you specifically authorize them to do so, or, to "correct an error."
    They consider any chargeback or credit to be part of the original transaction. And they'll just go right into your bank account and take it. I believe someone took them to court over this a few years ago and lost.

Also, you don't need to sweep money out so you can pay for purchases with your credit card. They don't make it obvious but you can specify an alternate funding source instead of using your balance. You can't make it the default but you can do it as you make each payment.