STORM SANDY the Perfect Storm New Enland Folks - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Yeah, I hate doomsday forecasts as well. Irene was typical of a forecast that was a touch too alarmist, IMO.

Not sure of this one though.

I saw a NOAA rain map that had 13 inches for the Delmarva/S Jersey area, 4-5 for the metro NYC area. I can deal with that. 13 is a whole lot more then 4 or 6 and means I then get water in my basement.

Then you read one forecast, the so-called Euro model, has the worst of the rain to the south. The US model has this thing hitting NYC square.

In theory, a wind in the 50-70 range should not do terrible damage to the power infrastructure, the way a Cat 2 or 3 with 120. As well, the storm is not as compact as a stronger hurricane might be and has (I believe) less forward speed and hopefully the storm surge won't be as strong. Timing is critical as Irene sped up at the end and coincided with the tides to flood a lot of area's near me (south shore Long Island). So timing on this one is critical as is the final track. ***** is it's a slower and wider area storm meaning lingering rain and wind.

Going to be a long couple of days.

Low rep power
    My boss informed me this afternoon that I'm "non-essential personnel". That's not what she says when she needs to make numbers for the program for the year, but I'm happy to take it if it means avoiding a 70 mile round trip to the office in my kayak

and Hokie, having them hike in a hurricane will let you know who the Jens wannabes are
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

ďThe problem with quotes on the internet is that itís hard to verify their authenticityĒ Ė Abraham Lincoln

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by curlymaple42 View Post
    Maine here. Got the generator, food, guns, water, chain saw, etc. We are all good. Not worried.
    aka "just another weekday."

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Can't seem to access weather.com from work. Didn't have time to check the weather before leaving the house this morning, and was wondering.

If nothing else, it's something to break the monotony, though doomsday weather reports get old when they don't pan out.
    You need a few chain saws or anything let me know. I'm 45 minutes from you. You can also email me at everydayride at y mail dot com.

Quote Originally Posted by curlymaple42 View Post
    Maine here. Got the generator, food, guns, water, chain saw, etc. We are all good. Not worried.
    LOL. I'll rep you too. "Ooh-rah!"

Slightly Opinionated
    Looking out from our third floor here into gray skies while watching the models from last night.

GFS shows us getting pounded. ECMWF model shows south jersey getting shat upon. Either way I'm ready for 50 MPH winds and rain. Our garage is upstream, we're on high ground, etc etc. I'll move the wife's car into the garage tomorrow and put mine in the shadow of the building for protection.

Hunker down, pull out the trainer and have a beers....
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

Lets Go Hokies!!!
    Ejdo is over at his sisters house taking down some limbs that would probably have come off in the storm. Shouldn't be too big of a deal this way, as opposed to letting Sandy take them out at will.

Packed up the freezers so one is full of food and the other full with food/water to take up space.

Its getting breezy here. Hope Ejdo is hanging on tight in the trees!
    Its not over till you're underground

http://hokierider.blogspot.com

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRider View Post
    Ejdo is over at his sisters house taking down some limbs that would probably have come off in the storm. Shouldn't be too big of a deal this way, as opposed to letting Sandy take them out at will.

Packed up the freezers so one is full of food and the other full with food/water to take up space.

Its getting breezy here. Hope Ejdo is hanging on tight in the trees!

I was just up on the roof trimming a few branches, and I also did something I should have done a few months ago with a problem area.

Breezy indeed. It was nice to see the sunshine though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paolin View Post
    I-need-to-buy-a-damn-generator!!!!!
    I ordered one!

Unfortunately I ordered it early last week prior to being aware of Sandy. It doesn't get delivered till Nov 8........ after the storm

On another note the wife is getting stressed out which is stressing me out cause she won't stop talking about it
    I know I'm losing power. Pissed that I didn't order the generator sooner, annoyed my new basement floor that I p
    layed down last year after the Halloween storm will get ruined
    The positive is I just restocked my beer and wine supply and already got email from boss to just stay home and work Monday/Tuesday so will have plenty of time to deplete the recent aforementioned stock
    Last edited by psycleridr; 10-27-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Fred the Clydesdale
    We are in a low lying area in Maryland. Not on the coast, but not far from the Chesapeake Bay. We have plenty of water and food.

If it is just a lot of rain, it won't be a problem to our house.

The thing is, I am down with a cold and need to cut a tree limb before it whacks our house. I probably ought to go do that, now.
    Member of Team Collin, a group of ordinary moreons going to extraordinary levels of awesome in the fight against cancer.

Love conquers all. God is love. Jesus is love personified. Figure it out.

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by rider9 View Post
    The thing is, I am down with a cold and need to cut a tree limb before it whacks our house. I probably ought to go do that, now.
    Do it. I feel ever so much better after doing the couple of things I wrote about earlier.

Fred the Clydesdale
    I dood it. Here are the pix...

tree limb1.jpg

Our deck is just to the left of the tree limb. BTW, I did not climb a ladder to do this. I tied off the branch to pull it away from the house and tightened it several times. I was never under the tree limb while cutting.

tree limb2.jpg
    Member of Team Collin, a group of ordinary moreons going to extraordinary levels of awesome in the fight against cancer.

Love conquers all. God is love. Jesus is love personified. Figure it out.

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saf-t View Post
    My boss informed me this afternoon that I'm "non-essential personnel".
    Everyone where I work is "essential". Should be an interesting bike commute Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. A few years ago I was riding home in the remnants of a hurricane and passed just one other cyclist. It was Miss M.
    Ken
    P.J. O'Rourke: The Internet - whose idea was it to put all the idiots on earth in touch with each other?

Go Blue
    I bought a flashlight and a lighter that i can use to light candles and the gas stove, I have not stocked up on water, but I have lots of wine and beer in the house. I will not go thirsty. I have stocked up on dog food and I currently am making a pot of chili. My plan is to freeze most of it tonight and if the power goes out on Monday, the blocks of frozen shili will be like blocks of ice to keep the rest of my food cold. As if thaws, I can just eat it. One of the advantages of my new bachelor life is tha I never have too much food in the house unless I am having guests. Sto, if the power goes out, I ill not have too much to lose.

My biggest concern is that my roof has an occaisonal leak.(I only know this because there is some water staining on the ceiling of one bedroom.) I have not figured out exactly where it is or how it happens. My attic has very difficult access that requires a ladder.. I went out and bought a ladder today to that I can get up into the attic and see where any water comes in during the storm
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Go Blue
    I also am charging all of the batteries for my Dinotte bike lights. When Hurricane Isobel hit in 2003 and my house did not have power for a week, I used my bike lights to light up the house (I would recharge the batteries at my mother's house, which had power, during the day).
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    As a little kid growing up on the shores of the Puget Sound, I used to relish the big fall storms. Power outages were an adventure, and hurricane force winds (yes, they do happen in the PNW) and giant trees going down.

Something about being a child in all of it, feeling no fear because you were safe and warm with mom and dad and siblings...made big storms something of an amusement park experience.

I'll never forget cooking Thanksgiving dinner on the woodstove fireplace insert...my little crescent rolls turned into little crescent rocks...but it was a fond memory.

Now that I'm older, big storms are a more frightening proposition. Last big one here in my valley about seven years ago included multiple downed trees that took out three sides of my horse fencing, and ensuing mudslides that roared down the canyon-sides and through peoples' homes. Thankfully I'm not in a "slide zone" but it was scary sh*t. And the clean-up was a PIA.

Stay safe y'all. I hope and pray for minimal damage if any.

Non non normal
    Well this isn't looking too rosy. NOAA has the model showing the storm is going to hit the jersey shore and then head inland literally right over my house.

I guess I better get some water in buckets. Not as much too drink but to flush the toilets. It is easier than going down to the creek with a 5 gallon bucket to get it.

The biggest concern for us (we have been without power for a week) is the spoiling of items in the refrigerator and freezer. After a couple of days, I will borrow a generator from my Dad to run the water pump, and freezer/fridge. I can also switch off things and run the furnace.

I have an apartment sized stove/oven that runs on propane out in the garage. We are good to go.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Windrider (Stubborn)
    All you on the Eastern seaboard....just a reminder....all the stuff can be replaced....you can't. Safety first.

My kids in Bethany beach are hunkering down........

Looking like it might be a direct hit.

On

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Frog Whisperer
    When there is the risk of power outages here, we fill up the bathtubs. They hold a lot of water for flushing
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Non non normal
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post
    All you on the Eastern seaboard....just a reminder....all the stuff can be replaced....you can't. Safety first.

My kids in Bethany beach are hunkering down........

Looking like it might be a direct hit.

On
    Yeah, the track is hitting right there (Cape May). It could get ugly quick on that thin stretch of sand.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Rain forecast for tomorrow. Great. Was hoping to ride home from work.

Slightly Opinionated
    Red sky at night, sailors delight.

Red sky in the morning.....

Ugh. Euro model has that thing dropping in to visit right over us. How wonderful.
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, the track is hitting right there (Cape May). It could get ugly quick on that thin stretch of sand.
    Cape May had mandatory evacuations starting on Friday. I grew up there, my mother still lives there.

For those of you in the more direct path, stay safe and stay smart.

EEC
    ExChef

-----------------------------------------
    2014 SuperSix Evo 6
    2012 CAAD 10 5
    2011 GF/Trek Cobia
    1983 Fuji Monterrey (Project)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

Red Rider, American Diabetes Association's New England Classic Tour de Cure 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017. Doing it again in 2018!

Together we can help eliminate diabetes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Well this isn't looking too rosy. NOAA has the model showing the storm is going to hit the jersey shore and then head inland literally right over my house.

I guess I better get some water in buckets. Not as much too drink but to flush the toilets. It is easier than going down to the creek with a 5 gallon bucket to get it.

The biggest concern for us (we have been without power for a week) is the spoiling of items in the refrigerator and freezer. After a couple of days, I will borrow a generator from my Dad to run the water pump, and freezer/fridge. I can also switch off things and run the furnace.

I have an apartment sized stove/oven that runs on propane out in the garage. We are good to go.
    Turn your refrigerator and freezer down to the coldest setting, and fill any dead space with water in containers. If the power goes out, your stuff stays cold longer.

Also, make it easy to get the things you need in the 'fridge out. Gotta keep that door closed as much as possible.

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii View Post
    Yep. If this one hits Delaware, this is going to be an extremely sh!tty way to start a week.
    My brother lives just north of Wilmington. More specifically he's in Bellefonte, near Marsh Road and Philadelphia Pike.... within a mile of the Delaware Bay. The only up-shot I'm seeing is that I think his place is at sufficient elevation above sea level to be safe from ocean surge. Other than that, he could be a sitting duck.
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    My brother lives just north of Wilmington. More specifically he's in Bellefonte, near Marsh Road and Philadelphia Pike.... within a mile of the Delaware Bay. The only up-shot I'm seeing is that I think his place is at sufficient elevation above sea level to be safe from ocean surge. Other than that, he could be a sitting duck.
    Basically a direct hit according to this: High Wind Warning in Delaware
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast