Sunscreen... What's Your Favorite Brand for Cycling?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013

Question Sunscreen... What's Your Favorite Brand for Cycling?

Spring is sure taking it's time finding it's way to Wisconsin and when it finally does, my nearly ghost-white skin is going to need some sun protection as I start riding outdoors. There seems to be a push to stop using sunscreens with mc'nasty chemicals that pollute our waterways and our bodies, which means the sunscreen I have in my cabinet is no good.

What is your favorite sunscreen for riding?

I'm looking for a sunscreen brand that is sweat-proof, non-toxic (for me or the world), and readily available (like from WalMart or the like).

This web site has a list of suggested brands, but there are hundreds of products listed which is a tad overwhelming...
    https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/

Darling of The Lounge
    Bullfrog

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    I have very sun-sensitive skin, so I ride in full plate mail.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I'm judging by the limited responses that most riders don't think to much about sunscreen or just don't wear it? I guess I didn't think about it much when I was in my teens and 20's either. It's not until you hear about people you know and love getting skin cancer that suddenly sunscreen becomes important to you (or at least that's my story)

RoadBikeReview Member
    never use the stuff when on the bike.

if I put anything on at the pool it's just coconut oil...SPF 0.

and then there's this...

https://www.wired.com/story/sunscree...r-bloodstream/
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    I'm judging by the limited responses that most riders don't think to much about sunscreen or just don't wear it? I guess I didn't think about it much when I was in my teens and 20's either. It's not until you hear about people you know and love getting skin cancer that suddenly sunscreen becomes important to you (or at least that's my story)
    I think plenty of riders use sunscreen (if riding in sunny climes at mid-day), but they don't much care what brand they use... i.e. they're all pretty much the same, so just give 'em one that's the right SPF and doesn't smell funny.

IOW, you may be overthinkin' it.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Try any one of those "sports" grade. Sweat proof.

The downside: requires lots of soap and scrubbing to remove at the end of the day.

Alternate:
    pgm-children-039-s-sunscreen-shirts-boys.jpg
    easy on / off.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member
    I generally go by STD #, I mean STP #... um, a high SFO SST, no, I think I was correct, a high STD # no, low STD#?

Sun riding bad, night riding good.

RoadBikeReview Member

Alba

Cheap sunscreens contain really horrible preservatives. Alba doesn't. Avoid any sunscreen that contains methtylisothiazolinone (Kathon). This stuff is terrible and is banned in other countries. Also Diazolidinyl urea. This and other formaldehyde-releasing presevatives work by releasing small amounts of formaldehyde - a toxic and cancer-causing chemical. All Neutrogena brand sunscreens contain either of these.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bullfrog - put it on once in the morning before sun up on ultras and regardless of how much I sweat I can ride all day, past sundown and not burn even a little bit, and I'm light fair skinned.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Ride early morning or late afternoon. In simple term, avoid mid day sun. If you are one of those with vampire skin, ride at night.

Master debator.
    I rarely use it on the bike to be honest, occasionally I'll put it on the end of my nose and ears and back of the neck. Mostly the exposure on my legs and arms doesn't bother me, I am not fair-skinned, but I rarely burn. I am also in Wisconsin, the sun here is nothing like at higher elevations. I'll probably die of liver or testicular cancer first anyways.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Banana Boat Sport
    Rite Aid Ultimate Sheer
    Coppertone

All rated 50 and above. I'm a regular user, too.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Sweet Potato Kugel

I already ride in the "shadow."
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post

I already ride in the "shadow."
    And chain grease and jeans protects my other half.

RoadBikeReview Member
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    Spring is sure taking it's time finding it's way to Wisconsin and when it finally does, my nearly ghost-white skin is going to need some sun protection as I start riding outdoors. There seems to be a push to stop using sunscreens with mc'nasty chemicals that pollute our waterways and our bodies, which means the sunscreen I have in my cabinet is no good.

What is your favorite sunscreen for riding?

I'm looking for a sunscreen brand that is sweat-proof, non-toxic (for me or the world), and readily available (like from WalMart or the like).

This web site has a list of suggested brands, but there are hundreds of products listed which is a tad overwhelming...
    I use Coppertone Sport 50 most of time. For epic rides I really like Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch. Much less greasy but much more expensive

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Last edited by Eretz; 05-12-2019 at 01:39 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Kinesys is one of the better options out there, although it is on the expensive side. However, you are avoiding endocrine disrupters, so that's a plus.

https://www.kinesysactive.com/collections/sprays

Edit- I know Kinesys was recently acquired, and they no longer show up on the EWG's rankings, so I'll have to research some more. Thinksport is also supposed to be pretty good as well. Here's the site for listings:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bullfrog gel and Neutrogena Stick. Both are 50 SPF. The stick is nice as it is easy to reapply while out riding and to target specific spots like back of the neck, nose, cheekbone areas.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    Bullfrog gel and Neutrogena Stick. Both are 50 SPF. The stick is nice as it is easy to reapply while out riding and to target specific spots like back of the neck, nose, cheekbone areas.
    What he said. I especially like the gel application - not greasy, and doesn't seem to sweat off quickly.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.