Terms of Use update
    cyclist

Terms of Use update

Hey All, just following up, like I said I would...

I have fixed the links in the footer section of the forums, so at least the links below now work.

We are still working on the text, but here is another revision:

"Thank you for contributing your photos, thoughts, and text to this site. We appreciate your contribution. There are a few things you should know about posting your photos and text here. When you post a photo, image, or text, you give us permission to use that content. Usually your contributions are used in the context you post them, i.e.; in the forums, galleries, reviews, etc. Occasionally, we also use something posted here to promote the site on our network or elsewhere. However, you don't lose the right to use that content yourself. And we have no intention of taking photos you post here and re-selling them. We may license content to another party; e.g., a review you post here might appear on another site we provide reviews to. However, if we use your images, we will ask you for your permission, and if you do not agree to our using of your images, we will remove it.

For content that is linked to (meaning the text or images are not uploaded to a RoadBikeReview or ConsumerReview Network site's servers, but are only linked to (which may include embedded code)), we do not claim rights to that content.

For the full legal information, please read the License Grant below:

License Grant:
    By contributing or submitting product reviews, message board postings, product photographs, or any other Content, you automatically grant (or warrant that the owner of such rights has expressly granted) us an non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free, transferable and worldwide right and license to use, copy, display, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and distribute such materials or incorporate such materials into any form, medium or technology without necessarily compensating you. We will ask for permission before we use your images for uses outside of where the content is originally posted. None of the materials shall be subject to any obligation of confidence on the part of ConsumerREVIEW.com.

This License Grant does not apply to content that is linked to (meaning the text or images are not uploaded to a RoadBikeReview or ConsumerReview Network site's servers, but are only linked to (which may include embedded code))."

I know I'm in a position where I can't please everyone, but we are making a serious effort to address all the concerns that have been raised.

LMK what you think...

Thanks,

-gregg

Sticky Valentine
    First!

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

Palm trees & sunshine!
    You da man! Thank you.

If that's what makes it into the final TOS, I'll be happily linking my pix again.

supervillain

Bacon!

First with a picture!

Gregg can use it also .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by gregg
    Hey All, just following up, like I said I would...

I have fixed the links in the footer section of the forums, so at least the links below now work.

We are still working on the text, but here is another revision:

"Thank you for contributing your photos, thoughts, and text to this site. We appreciate your contribution. There are a few things you should know about posting your photos and text here. When you post a photo, image, or text, you give us permission to use that content. Usually your contributions are used in the context you post them, i.e.; in the forums, galleries, reviews, etc. Occasionally, we also use something posted here to promote the site on our network or elsewhere. However, you don't lose the right to use that content yourself. And we have no intention of taking photos you post here and re-selling them. We may license content to another party; e.g., a review you post here might appear on another site we provide reviews to. However, if we use your images, we will ask you for your permission, and if you do not agree to our using of your images, we will remove it.

For content that is linked to (meaning the text or images are not uploaded to a RoadBikeReview or ConsumerReview Network site's servers, but are only linked to (which may include embedded code)), we do not claim rights to that content.

For the full legal information, please read the License Grant below:

License Grant:
    By contributing or submitting product reviews, message board postings, product photographs, or any other Content, you automatically grant (or warrant that the owner of such rights has expressly granted) us an non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free, transferable and worldwide right and license to use, copy, display, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and distribute such materials or incorporate such materials into any form, medium or technology without necessarily compensating you. We will ask for permission before we use your images for uses outside of where the content is originally posted. None of the materials shall be subject to any obligation of confidence on the part of ConsumerREVIEW.com.

This License Grant does not apply to content that is linked to (meaning the text or images are not uploaded to a RoadBikeReview or ConsumerReview Network site's servers, but are only linked to (which may include embedded code))."

I know I'm in a position where I can't please everyone, but we are making a serious effort to address all the concerns that have been raised.

LMK what you think...

Thanks,

-gregg

you say that all in one breath?......you might want to switch to decaff.....

so what are you saying you're going to sell the naked pictures of my wife I posted on Podium Girls?..... GOOD FRICKEN LUCK.........
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    ... you automatically grant (or warrant that the owner of such rights has expressly granted) us an non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free, transferable and worldwide right ...
    Sweet mother of crack*****s!

Per SteveCNJ's thoughts on the other thread, can you remove the word "irrevocable?" I know this won't apply to me since I don't upload images, but something like that could get in the way of someone selling their images down the line.

But screw it. Even if you guys want to leave it in you've still done an amazing job of listening to your users and adjusting. Considering the legal issues involved, I know it couldn't have been easy. Thanks a lot, Gregg (and Thien and whoever else).
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

gazing from the shadows
    If it is revokable, then someone could spike an ad campaign after it is going on. Hard to work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    But screw it. Even if you guys want to leave it in you've still done an amazing job of listening to your users and adjusting. Considering the legal issues involved, I know it couldn't have been easy. Thanks a lot, Gregg (and Thien and whoever else).

Agreed. Well done!
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Roadies Rejoice
    ....you automatically grant (or warrant that the owner of such rights has expressly granted) us an non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free, transferable and worldwide right and license to use, copy, display, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and distribute such materials or incorporate such materials into any form, medium or technology without necessarily compensating you. We will ask for permission before we use your images for uses outside of where the content is originally posted. None of the materials shall be subject to any obligation of confidence on the part of ConsumerREVIEW.com.

LMK what you think...

Thanks,

-gregg
    ....you automatically grant (or warrant that the owner of such rights has expressly granted) us an non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free, transferable and worldwide right and license to use, copy, display, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and distribute such materials or incorporate such materials into any form, medium or technology without necessarily compensating you. We will ask for permission before we use your images for uses outside of where the content is originally posted...

The clarification re linked images is a good addition, however the two clauses above are not consistent. While I don't want to be overly analytical in regards to this, because I think your response has been admirable with respect to the users here and this is not really a personal matter for me, I just want to point out that it's probably not a good idea to have your site's terms of use have an inherent contradiction. No good can come from that down the road.
    Audi of America President Johan de Nysschen regarding electric vehicles:
    "They’re for the intellectual elite who want to show what enlightened souls they are”

......._0
    ...... \<,
    ...( )/( )

The web is a MUT
    Oct 2003
    License Grant:
    "We will ask for permission before we use your images for uses outside of where the content is originally posted."

This should apply to all postings, not just images. Many have posted ride and tour reports to the site here which could easily be marketable. Using those posts within the site is one thing, but external licensing and distribution of same is another matter entirely to my thinking. This is what is sticking in my craw.

Your site, your rules, so I'll be adjusting my participation accordingly. No hard feelings.

(off to research blog sites and web site hosting options)
    <<a sig line goes here>>

Frog Whisperer
    maybe it's just me, but I pretty much assumed, from the onset (of the whole internet thing actually) That anything you put out there, without some kind of security or copy protection is essentially public domain......
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."