Tesla Unveils the Cybertruck... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    feelin' Freddie Mercury

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Technically, it is affordable... starts at $40K. Many gas pickups sell for more.
    I wonder if the $100 deposit locks in the price. Its seems in the past Tesla had great difficulties meeting price on their "lower end" models. I still suspect the sales are based on conspicuous consumption not folks hauling lumber and bales of hay

Schuylkill Trail Bum

Top right: The Rat Patrol, The Next Generation

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    It may end up like DeLorean. Then Hollywood will do Back to the Future remake with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I wonder if the $100 deposit locks in the price. Its seems in the past Tesla had great difficulties meeting price on their "lower end" models. I still suspect the sales are based on conspicuous consumption not folks hauling lumber and bales of hay
    I suspect they might not be able to sell this vehicle for even double of the suggested prices listed, due to the size of the battery, air suspension and newfangled manufacturing technique R&D.

You just described the logic behind almost all fullsize pickup purchases. Hardly ever used for utility, and the owner cries if it gets a scratch or dent. I did buy a fullsize pickup myself for purely utility reasons however that has meant it sits most of the time and I actually only put 2000 miles/yr on it for first 9 years I owned it. As for conspicuousness, I actually loathe looking at and driving the thing. But it was the cheapest new Japanese truck at the time (21k cdn in 2010, v8 Tundra, 8 ft single cab). For me the specs on the Tesla will help a fair amount as an upgrade when my truck is 12 or 14 years old.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member

Question

Didn't this thing get a similar response, with 'similar' styling?

Thought I'd seen this trick before.

δanned
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gûl-n’ anakhizak.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    ooooh, ahhhh....

and yah, the rear view mirror is a camera, to deal with the obvious rear viz issues with the tonneau up.

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    Doug Demuro just posted a fairly interesting youtube vid with his opinions on the truck.

According to him, the pre-orders are actually quite a bit lower than they were for the Model S (or whatever car it was) even though those pre-orders cost $1000. So the Cybertruck pre-order is kind of a flop. His guess is that many of the Cybertruck pre-orders won't actually lead to purchases but instead are just a relatively cheap way of showing off.

He also pointed out that, given the performance at the three different price-points, the Cybertruck isn't really competing with light-duty full sized trucks (Tundras, F-150s) but rather heavy and super duty trucks (F-250s, -350s) where it may be outgunned.

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    He calls it a truck. That thing has no value as a truck.
    It probably doesn't matter since it can be reconfigured any way it's needed, so this is just promo .

It looks like the ducts in my basement ceiling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Doug Demuro just posted a fairly interesting youtube vid with his opinions on the truck.

According to him, the pre-orders are actually quite a bit lower than they were for the Model S (or whatever car it was) even though those pre-orders cost $1000. So the Cybertruck pre-order is kind of a flop. His guess is that many of the Cybertruck pre-orders won't actually lead to purchases but instead are just a relatively cheap way of showing off.

He also pointed out that, given the performance at the three different price-points, the Cybertruck isn't really competing with light-duty full sized trucks (Tundras, F-150s) but rather heavy and super duty trucks (F-250s, -350s) where it may be outgunned.
    Maybe the Tesla truck is the new Hummer status symbol of our modern era

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Many car designers go with a ratio of form to function... in this case.. it's 100% function with 0 thought into form. The specs of the truck exceed all of the others from towing capacity to bed size. of course.. if you drive this.. you need self lacing Nikes and a hoverboard..

WTF Tesla..... also... will this double as a deli meat slicer for pedestrians....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    The specs of the truck exceed all of the others from towing capacity to bed size.
    Unless I missed his point, Demuro was saying that, once you account for the higher price of the Tesla (comparing base model to base model, mid to mid, etc.), it actually doesn't exceed in key areas. Based on a Google search, an F-350 starts at just $38k and tows 12k to 18k pounds compared to the $40k "low end" cyber truck's 14k pound towing capacity. It's not really apples and apples to compare to an F-150 or other light duty truck.

And what happens to that 200 mile range once you start towing?

Just to be clear, I think it's great that Musk is promoting this just as I think it's great that commercial trucking companies are also looking into e-trucks. But, as with anything like this, there is obviously a lot of hype to wade through.

I would love to experience 0-60 in 2.7 seconds while driving to the trailhead with 4 MTBs in the bed

IMO, not yet. For now that honor belongs to Sprinter based camper conversions.
    Last edited by dir-t; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:26 PM.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I suspect that's exactly the case.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Two things that are getting lost in all this (and in the wider public discussions of the Cybertruck):

1- It isn't even coming out 'til late 2021, i.e. two years from now.
    2- Several other EV pickups will be out around the same time or earlier, aka offerings from Ford, Rivian, Bollinger, and others.

Don't know if even Elon can keep the hype machine fully stoked in the face of that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    Not sure if this would be a good move for tesla.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Well at least we know what the Navy is hiding under those deck fixtures.ED818573-4AEB-43AA-AAA0-5384BFD703E5.jpegED818573-4AEB-43AA-AAA0-5384BFD703E5.jpeg

Never mind. The button to insert the pic is hidden under the privacy terms link. No wonder nobody comes here anymore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    Well at least we know what the Navy is hiding under those deck fixtures.ED818573-4AEB-43AA-AAA0-5384BFD703E5.jpegED818573-4AEB-43AA-AAA0-5384BFD703E5.jpeg

Never mind. The button to insert the pic is hidden under the privacy terms link. No wonder nobody comes here anymore.
    The Zumwalt, $22B spent for 3 ships that the Navy doesn't want and doesn't know what to do with them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Two things that are getting lost in all this (and in the wider public discussions of the Cybertruck):

1- It isn't even coming out 'til late 2021, i.e. two years from now.
    2- Several other EV pickups will be out around the same time or earlier, aka offerings from Ford, Rivian, Bollinger, and others.

Don't know if even Elon can keep the hype machine fully stoked in the face of that.
    If other companies are able to bring to market more practical and affordable electric vehicles I think they would quickly surpass Tesla in sales. We really need better range and quicker charging to make owning an EV as your only car viable

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Seems like a combo package with a windmill and/or solar powered charging station for transplant Rocky Mountain west "ranchers" could sell well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123