Thanks for the shout-out in that photo thread. To show my gratitude: a photo bomb!
    Jerkhard Sirdribbledick

Thanks for the shout-out in that photo thread. To show my gratitude: a photo bomb!

Like others, I haven't been around here much. But I do miss it, and I do peek back from time to time. More so lately.

Here are some highlights of some stuff I've been doing with the camera(s). Hope you enjoy the show.

DrR.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Not Banned
    wussup Doc?
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

a real member's member
    nice compositions. very colorful. this one's brilliant. what does the caption read?

Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    nice compositions. very colorful. this one's brilliant. what does the caption read?
    you can click on the photos to get bigger images.

great photoset Doc. thanks and I think your increased experience is showing through.

disgruntled pigskin fan
    Beautiful work as usual. Love the Mono lake shots.

Love the story of the last shot. How long was your exposure on that one?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Truly gorgeous! How much post-production is involved? Or is it just strategic exposure/lighting?

Spicy Dumpling
    I'm blown away every time I see your work. You have that rare eye that few possess. I find landscape photography difficult to say the least. You, not so much.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

RoadBikeReview Member
    You pictures are wonderful! I always want to visit the places that you take pictures, they seem to tell a story that tweaks my interest to find out more.

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA View Post
    I'm blown away every time I see your work. You have that rare eye that few possess. I find landscape photography difficult to say the least. You, not so much.
    Agree,

Dr. Roebuck's eye for photography is only found in an elite group of photographers around the world.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy viewing your work

Banned forever.....or not
    They said that you were dead...........or in prison.........or joined a cult........or even worse than the first three, ......joined a Hip Hop group.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    QUOTE=atpjunkie
    wussup Doc?

Whaddup, ATP.

QUOTE=blackfrancois

Thanks much.

LANCASTER—This is across the street from the Kill Bill church. One of those instances where it's good to remember to turn around every once in a while, especially when you're heavily focused on a particular subject. I've always liked that i was able to capture the transition from streetscape to starry sky with one exposure ... it looked pretty much like this on my camera's LCD.

QUOTE=kiwisimon
    great photoset Doc. thanks and I think your increased experience is showing through.

Awesome. Thanks.

QUOTE=BuckeyeBiker
    Beautiful work as usual. Love the Mono lake shots.

Love the story of the last shot. How long was your exposure on that one?

Thanks a lot, BB. EXIF data shows it was just about 30 minutes, give or take a few seconds. That's surprising ... figured there'd by more noise. I must have spent a lot of time cleaning it up. LOL.

QUOTE=Christine
    Truly gorgeous! How much post-production is involved? Or is it just strategic exposure/lighting?

Thanks so much, Christine. Honestly, most of it is strategic, with a healthy dose of luck. Checking sunrise/sunset times, moon position for the night shots, waiting out storms and thick clouds and hoping for a flash of sunlight, etc. In fact, the most satisfying shots to me are the ones that are the result of careful planning and forethought, and that's something I've definitely tried to work on over the years. Some of the Mono Lake stuff was a year in the making. So for the most part it's just a few minutes of levels and saturation adjustments, maybe straightening and on rare occasions cropping (I don't believe I cropped any of the shots I posted here). On a few shots, I spent a significant amount of time in post blending multiple exposures to fix blown-out highlights or shadows. The one from City Hall is a good example, as is the second L.A. River bridge shot, as are any shots with stars in the sky (except the one blackfrancois mentioned).

QUOTE=VaughnA

Thanks, Vaughn. High praise coming from you, as you've posted some killer shite over the years (don't sell yourself short).

QUOTE=love4himies
    You pictures are wonderful! I always want to visit the places that you take pictures, they seem to tell a story that tweaks my interest to find out more.

Agree,

Dr. Roebuck's eye for photography is only found in an elite group of photographers around the world.

Damn dude. Thanks.

QUOTE=MoonHowl
    Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy viewing your work

Sweet! Thanks.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Ah. Kansas...
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

disgruntled pigskin fan
    I bet every time you look at that last photo your heartbeat rises just a little as you remember the howl of the wolves. As a photographer, THAT's what I love most about photography. How it takes you back to the time when you captured the shot and revives, if only for a little bit, all the senses and feelings you experienced at that very moment.

Non non normal
    Very nice .Of course, we expect that from you
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

your text here
    i miss my imaginary friends
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bombs away.....sweet photos.....u got some art!
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

Not Banned
    Josh, I really like the Lancaster series. Check out the paintings by a friend of mine (now passed) Steve Criqui's paintings. He had found a theme and ran with it. Reminds me of your Lancaster shots

すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
    You know what you're looking for and it's obvious that sooner or later you'll capture it perfectly. Your work is a study. Close as I can describe, "a study."

Love every bit of it.

p.s. your son must be in college by now. LOL
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck View Post

Thanks, Vaughn. High praise coming from you, as you've posted some killer shite over the years (don't sell yourself short).

Sweet! Thanks.
    Roebuck, You along with MB1 and LenJ were the folks that inspired me to get back into photography after about a 20 year layoff. I'd always loved Galen Rowell's work and your stuff reminds me of it with an urban twist. Although landscapes are what I 'wanted' to do I've found I'm middle of the road at best. Oddly enough I hated portrait stuff back then but that's become my strength and passion. I've got a street portrait show at one of the largest galleries around here in Dec.

You and the others got me back into one of my lifelong hobbies. Thanks for the inspiration and the big dent in my wallet.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    QUOTE=MR_GRUMPY
    They said that you were dead...........or in prison.........or joined a cult........or even worse than the first three, ......joined a Hip Hop group.
    I joined a hip hop group in prison. Got kicked out. Joined a cult. Realized death was better and killed myself.

QUOTE=BuckeyeBiker
    I bet every time you look at that last photo your heartbeat rises just a little as you remember the howl of the wolves. As a photographer, THAT's what I love most about photography. How it takes you back to the time when you captured the shot and revives, if only for a little bit, all the senses and feelings you experienced at that very moment.
    For some shots. Honestly, if it's a good shot, it will take me back to that moment that I took it and how I felt after seeing it.

QUOTE=bigrider
    Very nice .Of course, we expect that from you
    Ha. Thanks.

QUOTE=weltyedi miss my imaginary friends
    I'll be in Chicago for Labor Day, but without a bike. Might have some free time, tho ...

QUOTE=proclaimer888
    Bombs away.....sweet photos.....u got some art!
    Boom! Thanks!

QUOTE=atpjunkieJosh, I really like the Lancaster series. Check out the paintings by a friend of mine (now passed) Steve Criqui's paintings. He had found a theme and ran with it. Reminds me of your Lancaster shots
    Thanks, Matt. Criqui did some amazing stuff.

QUOTE=Eretz
    You know what you're looking for and it's obvious that sooner or later you'll capture it perfectly. Your work is a study. Close as I can describe, "a study."

Love every bit of it.

p.s. your son must be in college by now. LOL
    I see you haven't lost your touch. Damn, man. What can I say, but thanks. Humbled.

PS kid pic attached. He's gotten much more difficult to shoot, what with wandering eyes, fake smiles and perpetual motion. For this he was reenacting Sandy from Grease, sitting on the bank of the LA River, since he was actually sitting on the bank of the LA River and that's his favorite movie.

RBR-01-2.jpg

QUOTE=VaughnA
    Roebuck, You along with MB1 and LenJ were the folks that inspired me to get back into photography after about a 20 year layoff. I'd always loved Galen Rowell's work and your stuff reminds me of it with an urban twist. Although landscapes are what I 'wanted' to do I've found I'm middle of the road at best. Oddly enough I hated portrait stuff back then but that's become my strength and passion. I've got a street portrait show at one of the largest galleries around here in Dec.

You and the others got me back into one of my lifelong hobbies. Thanks for the inspiration and the big dent in my wallet.
    LOL. I excel at spending others' money. I think at its height, the Lounge had a bunch of great and enthusiastic photographers and I'd like to think we all inspired each other. I'm sure I took more than I gave.
    -- Gut

Not Banned
    Steve was a friend / class mate of mine. Both of us musician / painters. At the end of college he went and pursued art and I went music. He was a jewel of a person as well. He was living on borrowed time, certainly made the most of it.