They are back? What are they?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

They are back? What are they?

For a few years now, my house has been leaking brown stuff from under the soffit. See pic. I cannot seem to determine what the he11 is causing this. We had an inspector come out and said possibly "flying squirles", but could not be certain. Bats were another possibility. He was certain though that he would charge me 2000 bucks to fix the problem. I did some looking around and for the life of me cannot see where these little things are getting in and just what exactly they are. We occasionally hear some noises coming from the ceiling area and I have inspected the attic with no signs/clues. Got a squirt gun and filled it with fox urine but whatever it is, keeps coming back!!! Anyone seen what I am dealing with? If so, what did u do?? Ugh!! IMG_20181230_100844 (1).jpg
    What saith the Lounge?
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Get a game camera and set it up.... you will then know for sure.

I think that it is inside your attic, down at the eve.... so you may have to set it up inside the attic.

You could probably go in the attic and venture down in that area, it will not be fun with all the insulation, but... I bet you will find a nest there.

I have been researching ultrasonic pest units which may help you or a trap.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Get a game camera and set it up.... you will then know for sure.

I think that it is inside your attic, down at the eve.... so you may have to set it up inside the attic.

You could probably go in the attic and venture down in that area, it will not be fun with all the insulation, but... I bet you will find a nest there.

I have been researching ultrasonic pest units which may help you or a trap.
    Looks like wood debris from burrowing insects ?. I’ve had carpenter ants, termites and honey bees. Now I’ve a contract for termites and ants . Honey bees are easy to spot and deal with. Looks like vinyl siding and could the insects be inside the siding ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by proclaimer888 View Post
    IMG_20181230_100844 (1).jpg
    What saith the Lounge?

Your home seems to be caught in a spacial anomaly which has caused 90 degree left shift orientation. Check for Klingons around Uranus.

Darling of The Lounge
    It looks like frass that has mixed with water and is leeching it's way out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Your home seems to be caught in a spacial anomaly which has caused 90 degree left shift orientation. Check for Klingons around Uranus.
    I know, right!! I looked in vain to find them rascal Klingons, causing the left shift....looked up towards Uranus and only saw a black hole.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    It's too big of a discharge to be by insects or bird. Looks more like water leakage from somewhere it shouldn't, carrying some kind of stain with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ...looked up towards Uranus and only saw a black hole.

HEEEEEY! Next time, ask first!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    It looks like frass that has mixed with water and is leeching it's way out.
    What if there were debris in gutter and/or pitch was off?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Where in the HELL did you find fox urine?

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    What if there were debris in gutter and/or pitch was off?

That is quite possible.

However, I'm sticking with my frass/moisture hypothesis. I'm thinking there are little buggers (possibly termites) borrowing underneath. Moisture is mixing with their droppings and filling the voids they have created while feasting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Vewwy Twicky.......Just Kidd'n. It is for sale online, and not cheap by the way. Apparently it is a good replant for several critters, including; squirrels. The situation happened last year in a different location on my house. It was an idea and desperate attempt to get rid of the pests. I now have a dedicated "squirt gun" just for fox urine. I just went out to ACE and purchased a critter live trap as I am sure it's squirrel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This situation has also happened on the front of my house. I might have posted this in the past?? Well, we can hear something....up there. I have ruled out bats for now and gotten a live trap. I will post some pics of the attic and such. I pray its not "termites". I did find some evidence of rodent.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    This situation has also happened on the front of my house. I might have posted this in the past?? Well, we can hear something....up there. I have ruled out bats for now and gotten a live trap. I will post some pics of the attic and such. I pray its not "termites". I did find some evidence of rodent.
    I think you got bats in you bell free. What ruled out the bats and led you to rats?
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

RoadBikeReview Member
    sooo, you're hearing noises and you found 'evidence' of rodents...connect the dots. mice, rats, squirrels love attic spaces...dry, warm and no predators to bother them.

my neighborhood is currently having a rash of rat problems...lots of the old 1950s houses are being demolished for new construction, when they tear one down, the critters just head for the next available home. the exterminator guys are doing good bidness, talked to one who said they were booked solid for the next 3 weeks...

not exactly sure what the staining is from tho...the person who suggestion a water intrusion is probably onto something. the stain and the critters may not be related...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Trap set in attic...live trap as I dont want to catch a squirrel l in a mouse trap....ugh. This is not a leak of sorts as I wish it was. Bats are still not outa the question....I will try posting some attic pics soon.

Darling of The Lounge
    Have you tried tapping around the area with something like the tip of a screwdriver? If different tones are heard, it could indicate wood rot or insect induced damage.

What the what???
    I don't see any hole in the soffit for a squirrel or some other animal to infiltrate from the outside and leave a mess on the exterior siding. My guess is either bats (and what you're seeing is staining from guano), or something leaching out from the eaves and attic space above.

Either way, the pattern of it looks like something dripping or running down. But if that's vinyl siding, it's on the outside and likely not soaking through from the inside.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I don't see any hole in the soffit for a squirrel or some other animal to infiltrate from the outside

I've witnessed squirrel contortionists. They could squeeze through flexing gaps in a sofit (I had some running laps all day long a few years ago when a tree overhung the eaves).

Sweet Potato Kugel
    ps coming back!!! Anyone seen what I am dealing with? If so, what did u do?? Ugh!! IMG_20181230_100844 (1).jpg
    What saith the Lounge?

You house leans left. Just sayin.

IMG_20181230_100844 (1).jpg

Lot of great replies in this thread, I tend to agree with Retro Grouch.
    Last edited by Eretz; 12-31-2018 at 07:19 AM.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Last edited by Eretz; 12-30-2018 at 08:39 PM.

Proud luddite
    We had that here in Tucson a few years ago. It was the chupacabra. It killed the Orkin guy. It was awkward.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Vewwy Twicky.......Just Kidd'n. It is for sale online, and not cheap by the way. Apparently it is a good replant for several critters, including; squirrels. The situation happened last year in a different location on my house. It was an idea and desperate attempt to get rid of the pests. I now have a dedicated "squirt gun" just for fox urine. I just went out to ACE and purchased a critter live trap as I am sure it's squirrel.
    I use plain old store bought ammonia to send groundhogs packing.

Easier to find and cheaper than buying weewee.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Where in the HELL did you find fox urine?
    Vewwy Twicky.......Just Kidd'n. It is for sale online, and not cheap by the way.

Cheaper than foraging for it.

$4.99 near me at a farm supply store, but that is a small bottle. Walmart, online, has it for $40 for a half gallon, 99% pure. Red fox. Also, there is a brand called "The Pee Mart". Coyote is more expensive. So is mountain lion.

Other than knowing you could buy such things, I have learned a lot about commercially available predator urine today. So thanks for that.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think mystery has been solved...set a live trap last night and met a guest this am. Its a southern fly'n squirrel. I noticed some burrowing in our spray insulation when I went up into the attic yesterday. Some "scat" as well but I was thinking mice/rat?? I guess I'm gona have to trap em all and give them a ride up the parkway. I am guessing there must be a few of them. ughDSCN5730.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast