Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Thinking Of Grocery Delivery...

Anyone use on a regular basis?

Thinking that it would be easier to stick to a list and limit impulse or POP.

What were your fees and do you like it? Is there a downside to letting someone else shop produce or the fat on a slab of ribs?

Sweet Potato Kugel

Easy Response

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Easy Response

So, I should pick out my own seafood?

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    So, I should pick out my own seafood?
    In Seven Languages?

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Anyone use on a regular basis?

Thinking that it would be easier to stick to a list and limit impulse or POP.

What were your fees and do you like it? Is there a downside to letting someone else shop produce or the fat on a slab of ribs?
    We do it and I wish we had started sooner.

Pros:

We save money because we use a menu and a list. No impulse buys.
    Delivery is free if you spend more than $100
    We save time and the hassle of crowded grocery stores on a Saturday (our usual day)
    The computer remembers past purchases, so if you have a regular menu finding items gets easier the more you use it.
    You can specify particular brands and opt to allow them to substitute other brands, or not.

Cons:
    We get a window of time when the delivery comes. Usually four hours when you need to be home. You can shorten it to a one-hour window... for a fee.
    Sometimes they run out of something on your list, so you still have to go to the store once in a while.

All in all, we like it.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    My wife and I rarely impulse buy anyways so not sure what the advantage is. But I hope you guys that use that service tip the driver well, that sort of service is worth at least a 25% tip due to gas and wear and tear on the car the person used to get the groceries to you. So if you tip, which I hope you all are, there goes the price of the groceries you could have saved had you gone yourself.

Seat's not level
    My wife delivers the groceries once a week. She's nice that way... and she's 'free'. :-)
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    My wife delivers the groceries once a week. She's nice that way... and she's 'free'. :-)
    ... it's cute that you use the words "wife" and "free" together... so cute.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm gonna give it a shot with a big Sunday blowout as I watch whatever Fox throws up against Tom Brady's "Dance Party".

What the what???

Thinking Of Grocery Delivery...

Quote Originally Posted by greatscott View Post
    My wife and I rarely impulse buy anyways so not sure what the advantage is. But I hope you guys that use that service tip the driver well, that sort of service is worth at least a 25% tip due to gas and wear and tear on the car the person used to get the groceries to you. So if you tip, which I hope you all are, there goes the price of the groceries you could have saved had you gone yourself.
    Umm... no. They deliver in a company delivery van, not their personal vehicle. Itís not pizza.

As for a tip, I imagine I tip about as much as you tip the cashier who rings you up and the kid who bags your groceries in the store??? I hope you do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Opus51569; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:04 AM.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Cons:
    You won't be able to select the item, which means you can't pick out the one avocado that is just about ready and one that is green for later in the week. You won't be able to pick out the best steak in the case, or the leanest bacon package. Or the milk with the longest expiration date. You will get what you get from someone picking items at speed. You also won't be able to change your mind about something due to quality. "I was going to make eggplant, but those all look nasty so I will switch it up."

You will also miss on sale items, where you might decide in the moment to stock up (saves money in the long run). Or something new that might appeal (often a waste of money but can break a rut).

I get how it is a nice thing for many people, saving time and stopping impulse purchases. But for me, shopping involves some choices that can only be made by seeing what my options are that day.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    You won't be able to select the item, which means you can't pick out the one avocado that is just about ready and one that is green for later in the week.

I would use the service mostly for staples or consumables that tolerate variances.

You won't be able to pick out the best steak in the case, or the leanest bacon package. Or the milk with the longest expiration date. You will get what you get from someone picking items at speed. You also won't be able to change your mind about something due to quality. "I was going to make eggplant, but those all look nasty so I will switch it up."

I haven't read through all the fine print but there does seem to be some satisfaction guarantees.

You will also miss on sale items, where you might decide in the moment to stock up (saves money in the long run). Or something new that might appeal (often a waste of money but can break a rut).

Again, indication are that I would enjoy the same pricing as in store. As for new, I would still make mad runs.

I get how it is a nice thing for many people, saving time and stopping impulse purchases. But for me, shopping involves some choices that can only be made by seeing what my options are that day.

I'm guessing/hoping that competition for this market share will ensure reasonable quality... but in order to find out, I'll have to find out.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    You won't be able to select the item, which means you can't pick out the one avocado that is just about ready and one that is green for later in the week. You won't be able to pick out the best steak in the case, or the leanest bacon package. Or the milk with the longest expiration date. You will get what you get from someone picking items at speed. You also won't be able to change your mind about something due to quality. "I was going to make eggplant, but those all look nasty so I will switch it up."

Granted, you do lose out on the romance of lingering over the meat counter, or feeling up a nice avocado. But we do get sale prices adjusted if the sale starts before the groceries are delivered. You see it on the receipt you get with the groceries.

This doesnít have to be an either/or proposition. We still go to the store occasionally to pick up a few things. But now when we do, itís much quicker and easier.

hello
    At least here, we're conveniently surrounded by several Costcos, Trader Joes, and major supermarkets, including Latin and Asian so I don't think I can benefit from using a delivery service even with my busy schedule. But I know a few people who use them.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    My mom is 90 and has been using delivery for @ a year. Overall, it's great, as has been noted, you lose the ability to choose the perfect avocado and steak. It's stupid cheap here, all picking and delivery is outsourced to contractors, she pays $7 to the store, which goes to the company, and she tips @ $.25 per item, not on the total dollar amount to the delivery person since that's where the time involved is. As noted, you can set a delivery time, (for free), or they just bring it. They're usually at her house in 30-45 minutes, it's crazy fast.

She loves the delivery people, they're all earnest, they'll call her from the store if she requests it, "They're out of this, do you want me to substitute that?" for example. They'll carry it all in, and help her put it away if she wants. They live off the tips and their customer reviews, if the reviews drop, they're presumably canned. All of the grocery stores are offering it, Costco, etc. If you're pressed for time, or 90, it's a valuable option.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
    At least here, we're conveniently surrounded by several Costcos, Trader Joes, and major supermarkets...
    That brings up a question, as I don't think such services are available near me (yet). Are you committed to ordering from only one store?

We get most of our staples at a local market because their prices are best. But, their produce often is lesser quality than another store and they don't sell fresh seafood. There's also a great butcher's store a block from my office. So, my wife often gets the bulk or our groceries and I make a stop at whatever "speciality" store I need to do get certain other things. It would be cool if I could place one order that gets food from multiple locations.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Umm... no. They deliver in a company delivery van, not their personal vehicle. Itís not pizza.

As for a tip, I imagine I tip about as much as you tip the cashier who rings you up and the kid who bags your groceries in the store??? I hope you do.

I have never used those services so I assumed employees were using their own cars.

Nobody where I've ever lived tipped the cashiers at a supermarket or the kid that bags the groceries, now if someone assisted me to the car and put the groceries in for me then I would tip them. If we had to do that the we would have to tip in every retail store we go into when we make any sort of purchase, does that make sense to anyone? No one tips fast food people either, and guess what? As high and mighty as Starbucks think they are, they're nothing but fast food servers and I don't tip them either, they haven't done anything for me out of the ordinary that the guy at McDonalds does. But someone delivering pizza in their own car, even though around here they get a delivery fee, I still tip them in addition to that fee.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As I do more research (the grocery sites I've visited require you to sign up before full disclosure) it appears as though many share the same sub contractors. The stores vary from nationwide brands to local "boutiques" that offer a l'il bit o magic (I could actually get restaurant quality sushi).

I'll have to research tipping, but I live in one of those "food deserts" and would have to drive 5 to 12+ miles (one way) for some of these goods which factors in all those squigglets of car operation.

I will report all if and when... (it will be a heafty order)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    That brings up a question, as I don't think such services are available near me (yet). Are you committed to ordering from only one store?

We get most of our staples at a local market because their prices are best. But, their produce often is lesser quality than another store and they don't sell fresh seafood. There's also a great butcher's store a block from my office. So, my wife often gets the bulk or our groceries and I make a stop at whatever "speciality" store I need to do get certain other things. It would be cool if I could place one order that gets food from multiple locations.
    Here in Colorado, you place your order via the store's website, but many use the same delivery company which then have employees that shop at the store nearest to you. With some stores, it's all internal, and it's the grocery store's employees that deliver.

As far as having one shopper hit up several stores for you, there are probably "personal shopper" services out there somewhere that would do that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    BIG PLUS

Just started watching cooking show and I now want OKRA and CORN MEAL and BUTTERMILK on demand!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    I like fried Okra, and Okra in Louisiana style Gumbo.

This tipping thing in regards to grocery stores delivering food, I guess one should tip even though they aren't using their cars, because the driver has to load the car up with your stuff, drive to you, take it out of the car and into the house or to the door for you to take in, so that's a service. This service is going to really work well for older people instead of relying on Meals on Wheels, which I heard isn't very good food, sort of like TV dinners, but having never had any of that food, I'm not sure other than what an elderly person I know said and sometimes he just likes to complain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Information. make of it what you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1BiuhtWDsM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67NaN74SUDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrAvFZb_HCc

Available in my area

https://money.cnn.com/2018/03/14/new...ery/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n51rIDovdlU

https://dasherhelp.doordash.com/reta...ry-deliveries/

As of this posting, still haven't pulled the trigger but it has become even more tempting after spending 12 hours in an ER LAST NIGHT (OK, but tired).

Looks like Walmart's model is based on their pickup deal with delivery being a separate component (driver picks up your order instead of you). You're tipping for the delivery and not the shopping from what I see so far. Unsure if Doordash is nationwide or service varies depending on region.

I'll see about putting in an order Saturday or really testing the system on SUPERBOWL SUNDAY.

RoadBikeReview Member
    $160 USD ordered from Walmart with scheduled delivery between 8-9 AM 02-04-2019 $9.95 flat delivery fee ($7.95 for 8 PM delivery)

Mix of fresh fruits, meats and name brand goods.

Shopping was no more painful than wandering aisles (list) and checkout was a tad cumbersome (setting up new account was fairly easy but damn another password) but should be easier in the future.

I have a 5 hour window to make changes (I think the window varies) but I think I'm good. In the future, I'll try pickup (will check to see if I have to be there or can send an agent) with same account and report results.

Clipless pedals crossed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OK, groceries arrived via "Doordash" at 08:30:00. Naturally, I was asleep and dazed when he arrived.

Items arrived in same bags as any Walmart purchase (was expecting that they might also be in surplus boxes but no biggie). There was no paper receipt and delivery required an E signature. Order could be reviewed via email which also described substitutions.

Only 4 items out of approximately 55 were substitutions and all were in excess of original order at same price (128oz juice for 64oz juice). Quality of meats, veggies and fruits were acceptable (ordered bunch white grapes that while individually small, were quite tasty).

I was a bit up in the air about a tip. As mentioned, the driver did not shop the items but was on time, courteous and placed items where I asked so I shot him a tenner (odd that a confirmation email after I signed the receipt suggested that I could tip the driver even though, by the time I read it, he was long gone).

As long is there is no fubar in billing (pennies less than online estimate), I think I would do this again, especially for the items requested and convenience (funds permitting). Indeed, I would be interested in seeing how other markets fulfill their orders.

Cheaper in the scheme of things than if I'd a ordered a pizza for the SuperBore.

What the what???
    Welcome to the future.

Now, if I can just get a 3D printer to print food using cans of EasyCheese...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast