thrift shop score - Polk Audio LS-50s
    Ricardo Cabeza

thrift shop score - Polk Audio LS-50s

I saw one, grabbed it and put in in my cart, then looked around for the other. Damn, they only have one. Who donates ONE speaker?? Just then the guy came out of the back carrying the other, I said thanks just put it in my cart.

An employee of the store helped me hook them up to a stereo to make sure they worked. A couple of guys were following us around, evidently hoping I would decide against buying them. Sorry guys.

Not the best out there - the bass is not the best and they would be better with smaller enclosures on stands with a subwoofer, but considering I paid $40, I'd say a good buy.

I might sell them - street price seems to be $100-$200. I'm going to put them in the upstairs office with my old Yamaha amp and HK T-35 table. I sold the Cerwin Vega and EPI speakers that I had picked up at a thrift store in Alabama a few years ago. The CVs were only happy at full volume and I just didn't like the EPIs. I had a pair of ADSs that I found the same way, but never really listened to them as they seem to have a big cult following and I was able to sell them almost immediately for about 5x what I paid, so out the door they went.

I used to have a pair of Polk Monitor 10s that I bought in the early 1980s, so I like the Polk sound. I think these were intended for home theatre use, so we'll see.

Anyway, I like being in the right place at the right time.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Great score! I've always loved Polk Audio speakers, ever since the 80's. I remember their flagship model, I think they were the SDA series. Awesome speakers but I couldn't afford them then (I was 22). I actually do have Polk Audio speakers for my media room but my sub-woofer is an Infinity unit.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Polks seem to have a sound that doesn't appeal to a lot people. Plus they never really targeted the audiophile market. I loved them from the first time I listened to a pair, but I mostly encounter a lukewarm response when the name is mentioned.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    You're right about Polk Audio not appealing to a lot of people. Even during the 80's all my friends were buying Cerwin Vega and JBLs. I imagine the type of music folks listen to plays a big part. Even then I preferred Bose (501s were my favorite), Infinity, and Polk Audio.
    I also got a bit carried away on the dbx line of equipment. I still have (and use) all of it and would never get rid of them;-)

Spicy Dumpling
    IMHO polk in the early days was one of the best values for the money. The RTA-12 and 10's were great. And I'd still love to have a pair of the BIG SDA's. I've got a pair of RT-25's from around 2000 that won a stereophile shootout for < 1000 speakers.

Looking in thrift stores is a great place to find stuff, as is Craigslist. Much of the High end stuff from the 80s and 90's can be got for next to nothing, like I did with my Snells and a nice Marantz integrated amp for 60 bucks.

If you see any of the big ADS stuff grab it. They are on the top of my list for great buys. I'm always looking through CL for ADS,DCM time windows and other 80's stuff that I loved.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    You made me go and peek at my local classifieds. Now check out what I found: Home Speakers Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com
    A pair of mint SDA2s. Still a bit pricey for me but he did mention 'make an offer'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Shouldn't this be posted in the Speakers and Amplifiers sub-forum?

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by config View Post
    You're right about Polk Audio not appealing to a lot of people. Even during the 80's all my friends were buying Cerwin Vega and JBLs. I imagine the type of music folks listen to plays a big part. Even then I preferred Bose (501s were my favorite), Infinity, and Polk Audio.
    I also got a bit carried away on the dbx line of equipment. I still have (and use) all of it and would never get rid of them;-)
    The CV and JBL were both rock oriented - they are at their best at full volume. I like that but I like other things too, so I guess that's why I like the Polk, and the Infinity too.

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA View Post
    IMHO polk in the early days was one of the best values for the money. The RTA-12 and 10's were great. And I'd still love to have a pair of the BIG SDA's. I've got a pair of RT-25's from around 2000 that won a stereophile shootout for < 1000 speakers.

Looking in thrift stores is a great place to find stuff, as is Craigslist. Much of the High end stuff from the 80s and 90's can be got for next to nothing, like I did with my Snells and a nice Marantz integrated amp for 60 bucks.

If you see any of the big ADS stuff grab it. They are on the top of my list for great buys. I'm always looking through CL for ADS,DCM time windows and other 80's stuff that I loved.
    Most of the speakers that show up need to be reconed. Still, it's one of the things I keep an eye out for. The analog tuners fetch a good price, too.

Always keeping my eyes open for McIntosh, vintage Marantz, Carver, etc. Never see it though :-/

Those SDAs were killer. I really wanted a pair but as a poor college student it wasn't happening.

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Shouldn't this be posted in the Speakers and Amplifiers sub-forum?
    Is CX on vacation and you are filling in?????
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    Most of the speakers that show up need to be reconed. Still, it's one of the things I keep an eye out for. The analog tuners fetch a good price, too.

Always keeping my eyes open for McIntosh, vintage Marantz, Carver, etc. Never see it though :-/

Those SDAs were killer. I really wanted a pair but as a poor college student it wasn't happening.
    I reconed my Snell EIII's for 25 bucks and it was well worth the 1 hour effort. It is nice to be able to buy your 1970s-80s dream system for a song. I'm kicking myself for not grabbing a set of KEF 105.2s for 300 bucks or a trade of my EIII's. I just have to weigh the possibility of getting killed by the missus if I buy more stuff. I am looking for a cheap receiver for my bike shop to power my little minimus 7's.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus