Throw out your stamps!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GIMME MY BIKE!

Throw out your stamps!

Apparently the US post office has taken to delivering letters without any postage. Throw out your stamps! You don't need them anymore, here's why...

A week ago I accidentally dropped an envelope addressed to my bank into a US mailbox (the kind with the door that prevents you from retrieving your item) without a stamp on it. Recognizing my error a bit too late, I cursed myself for my mistake, but took heart that my return address was on the envelope so it would eventually come back to me. The bad news was that in the envelope was a paycheck I was depositing, so I would have to go without two weeks pay for a while.

This morning I was checking my bank account online and noticed that the paycheck I sent my bank was deposited. How it got there, I don't know. Did they miss it? Did some kind postal worker put a stamp on it? Does my bank have some kind of deal with the US Postal Service to deliver letters addressed to them without postage? Who knows, but if you're sending something to ING Direct, don't bother using a stamp!
    Harrow: "You have to finish it, lad. You have to finish it. For a man to lay beaten... and yet breathing? It makes him a coward."

Inara: "It's humiliation."

Mal: "Sure. It would be humiliating. Having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood... Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I dropped a package in one of those bins last week, and only after closing the door, noticed a small sign that said no packages over 1" thick and 14 ounces. My package was easily over the limits, but I guess they mailed it anyway because it didn't come back to me. It was postage paid, however. BTW, the post office probably extracted the payment from your bank, which will hit you with a $50 service charge.

GIMME MY BIKE!
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2
    BTW, the post office probably extracted the payment from your bank, which will hit you with a $50 service charge.
    I doubt that's legal. The bank can't charge me a service charge for something the post office did. I expected the envelope to be returned to me.
    Harrow: "You have to finish it, lad. You have to finish it. For a man to lay beaten... and yet breathing? It makes him a coward."

Mal: "Sure. It would be humiliating. Having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood... Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right."

Non non normal
    The bank could of paid the postage due fee but at any rate you ought to feel good about beating the system even if it is for small change.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

GIMME MY BIKE!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider
    The bank could of paid the postage due fee but at any rate you ought to feel good about beating the system even if it is for small change.
    I'm just impressed it got there! I'm not sure if the bank paid a postage due fee or not. There's nothing on the ING website about the issue. I thought it was the post office's standard to send a letter without postage back from where it came from, regardless of where it's headed. I'm not sure if the banks have some deal going with them or not.

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by vonteity
    I'm just impressed it got there! I'm not sure if the bank paid a postage due fee or not. There's nothing on the ING website about the issue. I thought it was the post office's standard to send a letter without postage back from where it came from, regardless of where it's headed. I'm not sure if the banks have some deal going with them or not.
    Funny that you should bring up this issue. The week before Christmas, I was rushing to get out a stack of cards. I thought that I had put stamps on all of them. But, as I was putting about 100+ envelopes into the mailbox, I noticed that some of them were without stamps. I grabbed as many unstamped ones as I could, but I know that at least 6 or 7 made it into the box. One was returned to me the next day; two others came two days later. I know that at least two of them were delivered without a stamp and without the recipient's having to pay a charge (both of the recipients sent me an email noting that my card has made it to them without a stamp). I haven't heard from anyone who had to pay 41 cents for the honor of receiving my card. I think that the volume of mail, especially at the holidays, is such that unstamped letters sometimes fall through the cracks and are delivered.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Silly people. Don't stamp ANY of your mail. Just switch up the return and delivery addresses, and voila.

GIMME MY BIKE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    Silly people. Don't stamp ANY of your mail. Just switch up the return and delivery addresses, and voila.
    Wow, that's actually an awesome idea.

waterproof*
    "Just switch up the return and delivery addresses, and voila"

But then it'll definitely come back to you. Maybe. Owww my head hurts.
    * not actually a Rock Star

your text here
    it would be awesome if it worked all the time.
    it doesnt.
    i tried.

from what i gathered, if you drop the letter in a corner mailbox and the return address is in the town, they return it. if the return address is outta town, its a toss up.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

I Type, Therefore I Am
    What if both addresses are the delivery address, or if there is no return address?
    "Wind doesn't suck, it blows." - my friend Bill
    "Knowin' the time ain't gonna get me there quicker" -Fear

your text here
    in my experience, they sent it postage due with a nice little manilla envelope for your change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wood
    What if both addresses are the delivery address, or if there is no return address?
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

hello
    But isn't that like stealing from the Feds?

Palm trees & sunshine!
    It was probably delivered postage due and the bank probably picked up the tab.

supervillain

Dec 2006
    Let me explain it to you. The USPS is awesome and some caring postal employees actually will put postage on letters with that don't have it. I know this for a fact. 41 cents and a letter gets there in a couple of days that's fantastic and a lot of moreons have the audacity to complain. Plus much first class mail is actually flown on fedex planes as the postal service has a huge contract with fedex.

The idea that postal service sucks is a public misperception.

btw, postal fraud is a federal crime...

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by lookrider
    Let me explain it to you. The USPS is awesome and some caring postal employees actually will put postage on letters with that don't have it. I know this for a fact. 41 cents and a letter gets there in a couple of days that's fantastic and a lot of moreons have the audacity to complain. Plus much first class mail is actually flown on fedex planes as the postal service has a huge contract with fedex.

The idea that postal service sucks is a public misperception.

I think we got ourselves a regular Cliff Claven here.

Or is it...... Newman!

supervillain

GIMME MY BIKE!
    Being a smarty-pants know-it-all should be a federal crime!

No one ever said that the postal service sucks, and I doubt anyone is seriously planning to intentionally mail letters without postage. I think this falls under the category of "joking".

Large Suburban Male
    Apparently the US post office has taken to delivering letters without any postage. Throw out your stamps! You don't need them anymore, here's why...

A week ago I accidentally dropped an envelope addressed to my bank into a US mailbox (the kind with the door that prevents you from retrieving your item) without a stamp on it. Recognizing my error a bit too late, I cursed myself for my mistake, but took heart that my return address was on the envelope so it would eventually come back to me. The bad news was that in the envelope was a paycheck I was depositing, so I would have to go without two weeks pay for a while.

This morning I was checking my bank account online and noticed that the paycheck I sent my bank was deposited. How it got there, I don't know. Did they miss it? Did some kind postal worker put a stamp on it? Does my bank have some kind of deal with the US Postal Service to deliver letters addressed to them without postage? Who knows, but if you're sending something to ING Direct, don't bother using a stamp!
    That was nice of them to do that. I'm confused as to why you mailed the check to the bank, though.

Why not run to the branch, or have it direct deposited?
    “The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
    William Gibson

GIMME MY BIKE!
    Quote Originally Posted by murbike
    That was nice of them to do that. I'm confused as to why you mailed the check to the bank, though.

Why not run to the branch, or have it direct deposited?
    Not really sure why you're so curious... but I'm in the middle of switching banks and switching my DD, so I get two paychecks in the interim while payroll sorts it out. And there is no bank branch, the bank has no bricks & mortar branches, that's why. So am I off the hook?

RoadBikeReview Member
    sometimes my bartender gives me a free pint. Doesn't mean I don't show up without cash from now on.

Large Suburban Male
    Not really sure why you're so curious... but I'm in the middle of switching banks and switching my DD, so I get two paychecks in the interim while payroll sorts it out. And there is no bank branch, the bank has no bricks & mortar branches, that's why. So am I off the hook?
    Sorry I asked.
    I was just curious. Won't bother asking anything again.
    “The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
    William Gibson

RoadBikeReview Member
    For the record, I think that any kind of mail delivery is pretty effing amazing, and I have yet to try the return-address switch.

My only complaint is how inconvenient postage is: Buy a book, use maybe half, rates go up, now you need $0.02 stamps, but the machine doesn't stock them, or the post office is closed, so you just use two regular stamps and quietly grumble to yourself how they manage to double their revenue this way when multiplied over millions of people.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    For the record, I think that any kind of mail delivery is pretty effing amazing, and I have yet to try the return-address switch.

My only complaint is how inconvenient postage is: Buy a book, use maybe half, rates go up, now you need $0.02 stamps, but the machine doesn't stock them, or the post office is closed, so you just use two regular stamps and quietly grumble to yourself how they manage to double their revenue this way when multiplied over millions of people.....
    where have you been????
    they sell 'forever' stamps now. Sold at the current rate and you can use them for standard mail....forever.

Have a nice day
    The USPS is awesome
    In general I agree, the service offered by the USPS is pretty excellent most of the time.

That said...

But good luck prosecuting that if the defrauder is a USPS employee. My parents and their neighbors used to have incredible problems with their semi-rural post office in Nevada. Packages were seldom delivered, and complaints to the USPS yielded only retaliation by the local carrier. Local scuttlebutt was that the post office staff had drug problems and would steal mail to fuel their habit. They had to get their Congressman involved to finally fix it.

Dec 2006
    Being a smarty-pants know-it-all should be a federal crime! ".

No one ever said that the postal service sucks,
    Really? It's well known that that the USPS or snail mail, as it's derisively called, is routinely classified by many as sucking....

and I doubt anyone is seriously planning to intentionally mail letters without postage..
    Don't underestimate your influence with the moreons such as myself...

I think this falls under the category of "joking".
    Hey, keep the day job, oops, just "joking."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast