Traveling fun!

Thread: Traveling fun!

Windrider (Stubborn)

Traveling fun!

Gotta love travel today, it's so glamorous.

Arrive at airport at 8:00 for 10:00 am flight

9:30 - flight delayed to 11:10 gate B10
    9:45 - flight delayed to 11:40
    10:10 - flight delayed to 1:50 moved to gate C22
    10:55 - flight delayed to 2:15
    11-00 - flight moved up to 11:20 change of equipment - moved to B16

Walk to B16 only to find that the original plane held 110, and the new plane only holds 60!

So then, they book me on a 1:40 plane to Cincy.......with a bus from Cincy to Indy!............ Out of gate F29..........

Get to F29 and, you guessed it....flight delayed to 2:45.........so far.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Sticky Valentine
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post
    Gotta love travel today, it's so glamorous...

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

corning my own beef
    daaaang ....

where are you stuck today?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    daaaang ....

where are you stuck today?
    Philly,

Len

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Windrider (Stubborn)

The saga continues.

Gotta love travel today, it's so glamorous.

Arrive at airport at 8:00 for 10:00 am flight

9:30 - flight delayed to 11:10 gate B10
    9:45 - flight delayed to 11:40
    10:10 - flight delayed to 1:50 moved to gate C22
    10:55 - flight delayed to 2:15
    11-00 - flight moved up to 11:20 change of equipment - moved to B16

Walk to B16 only to find that the original plane held 110, and the new plane only holds 60!

So then, they book me on a 1:40 plane to Cincy.......with a bus from Cincy to Indy!............ Out of gate F29..........

Get to F29 and, you guessed it....flight delayed to 2:45.........so far.

Len

12:30 - Cincy flight cancelled. USAir reboots me on a 2:07 Delta flight to Kennedy w a connecting flight at 5:30 to Indy.......out of gate D10

I haven't been in either terminal A or E YET today.

Why do people feel that unloading on the customer slice people will be productive?

Len

Frog Whisperer
    hey Len, you considered renting a car and driving home?...you might get there sooner!....LOL
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

No hero that's understood
    I just got out of a three hour meeting with our auditors.

I would trade places with you in a heartbeat.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Quote Originally Posted by q_and_a View Post
    I just got out of a three hour meeting with our auditors.

I would trade places with you in a heartbeat.
    Mine was moved to Monday, so I couldn't even get out of that. No silver lining.

Len

likes to eat donuts
    I came accross the following article yesterday, and had a good laugh at some of the customer comments (It's easy to laugh when it isn't you that the airport disaster is happening to!).

Worst Airports | SleepingInAirports.net
    “The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.”
    -Groucho Marx

Boobies!
    Travel is hell.

They preemptively cancelled a lot of flights leaving from Chicago yesterday. Barely snowed, at least by Windy City standards.

Luckily my wife's last appointment finished up early and she went straight to the airport--got the last seat on the "early" flight.

That one got to LGA about 2 hours after scheduled arrival.

When she landed, the "later" flight they originally had rebooked her had just left Chicago, which would have put her at the house by about 2:00 AM.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

Have a nice day
    Quote Originally Posted by piano,piano View Post
    I can't believe Berlin-Tegel isn't on that list. I had to sleep there for a few hours last summer: cold, dirty, no seating, bathrooms all locked... I should have stayed at the Hbf (train station).

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Just walked in at home.....just before 10 PM

12 1/2 hours door to door. Yikes.

Tired.

Len

Honey Smack!

Tired.

Len
    Sleep tight bud. Welcome home.
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

still shedding season
    Tired.
    No doubt. Enjoy being there!

You could have pulled an MB1 and rode home.

your text here
    more like gate F-U.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Steaming piles of opinion
    I'm in and out of PHL every week for the last two years, so I can relate. That is one of the most useless airports on the planet. The facility itself isn't completely horrible, but air traffic control is apparently based on soup cans and knotted string. The first drip on the tarmac = ground stop to incoming traffic, minimum 45 minutes delay to outbound.

But really, the fault is yours. Booking USless Airways and expecting service or arrival at the intended destination is akin to seeking leprechauns as investment strategy advisers.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

hit it

Tired.

Len
    Philly to Indy is an 11 hour drive.

HTH
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    But I'm not a douche. I'm awesome.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1 View Post
    I'm in and out of PHL every week for the last two years, so I can relate. That is one of the most useless airports on the planet. The facility itself isn't completely horrible, but air traffic control is apparently based on soup cans and knotted string. The first drip on the tarmac = ground stop to incoming traffic, minimum 45 minutes delay to outbound.

But really, the fault is yours. Booking USless Airways and expecting service or arrival at the intended destination is akin to seeking leprechauns as investment strategy advisers.
    Problem in Philly is not traffic control.......it's the fact that there main runways run only north/south due to being locked between I95 and the river. So when weather with strong E/W winds come in, they have to shut down. Yesterday, winds were 90 degrees to the runways at 35 mph.......they had to wait for the wind to drop.

Len

"El Bwana"
    One of my least favorite airports. The funny part is that they want to expand the existing limited runways all the way into Lester and Essington. Maybe they will need to bury I95 like LAX has buried Sepulveda or the way Denver Stapleton passed over I70. Then again you've got all the neighborhoods in SW Philly and eastern Delco who wont like the noise. An ongoing mess.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

Steaming piles of opinion
    Problem in Philly is not traffic control.......it's the fact that there main runways run only north/south due to being locked between I95 and the river. So when weather with strong E/W winds come in, they have to shut down. Yesterday, winds were 90 degrees to the runways at 35 mph.......they had to wait for the wind to drop.

Len
    The mains run E/W, but yeah, Thurs eve and I assume Fri were breezy. My flight was as much as three hours late at one point, but Continental found a way to get us off less than an hour late.

The pilots I've spoken to are pretty unanimous in their low opinion of PHL ATC. Not so much the people - though there's some pretty obvious airline favoritism going on - but they've go such an antiquated system to work with that they can't catch or launch with any speed in anything other than perfect conditions. They'll put 90 seconds between planes at the drop of a hat. I've been on the bus from C to F with pilots that frankly should have been fired for their, um, honesty.

Was stuck there once because weather had closed all flights to the East. Westbound was free to leave - except that GTC had managed to put USAirways eastbound planes at the head of each of the taxiway takeoff approaches, and wouldn't shell them off of their place in line so that Westbound planes could go. Literally heard yelling through the cockpit door that evening. By the time we made it to the head of the line, we did have to shell off - because we had burned too much fuel while waiting. Pushed back on time, but the 1hour flight ended up taking five.

Not the problem you had - that was mostly USAirway's logistics team not keeping up with the realities of a mildly-buggered schedule. Serious carriers can manage better than that at a hub airport. There's just no reason to bounce a departure around like that, other than poor planning. There's a little shuffling that needs to happen now and then, but if a single flight moves more than once, they've blown it.

Re: Unloading on the customer service people: In another PHL incident, my flight was cancelled because they had a ground stop that prevented our inbound plane from arriving- unexplainable, since they were letting them leave. A fellow regular passenger and known butthead ripped into the counter person, who told them there was nothing she could do because it was a weather delay, booked him into a tomorrow afternoon flight, left him to his own devices to find a place to sleep.

I came up, smiled, said 'heck of a day, huh? I was on the CLE flight, too." She shot me a wry smiled and said... "Whaddya know. They just opened Newark back up. I can get you on a commuter up there, then connect you to CLE. You should get there within a half hour of your scheduled time. They're boarding that now (at the next gate over) so you'll need to hurry."

There were plenty of seats on both flights.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

hold my beer n watch this
    Job security, thanks airlines!