Trying Doordash For The Semi First Time
    RoadBikeReview Member

Trying Doordash For The Semi First Time

Semi first cuz Wal-Mart uses 'em but I don't go thru Doordash.

Ordered Firehouse Sub on their 30 day free promo (tip extra) because of limited dine out/take out in my area.

I've never had sushi from partnered shops but will try b4 30 days are up.

A sub should be goof proof!

Russian Troll Farmer
    I really don't understand why people use DoorDash, GrubHub, or UberEats. You pay EXTRA money to wait a long time for food that arrives cold??!!! WTF, if you're gonna need to microwave it anyway why not just buy frozen entrees at the supermarket and save yourself a lot of time and money?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I really don't understand why people use DoorDash, GrubHub, or UberEats. You pay EXTRA money to wait a long time for food that arrives cold??!!! WTF, if you're gonna need to microwave it anyway why not just buy frozen entrees at the supermarket and save yourself a lot of time and money?
    I guess that depends on how far away you are from the restaurant?

I live fairly close to a bunch of places that are serviced by doordash, etc, and I've never had cold food.

I like the app, and that I get constant updates and can see the driver on a map.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Let us know.

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Driving 4 hours a day to get back and forth to work in Virginia, where apparently keeping at least 10 cars back while in bumper to bumper traffic, and the left most lane is for slower traffic are "laws" , getting in the car to go get food, is the last thing I'm trying to do. I'm not saying I use any of those services, "but I can understand"!

RoadBikeReview Member
    EXTRA money is a relative term (versus time and or miles to and fro or lack of vehicle/need/want for convenience, etc). I live in an "underserved" area where any other choices 'tween McD & KFC are gonna require 9 miles round trip.

As I understand my local Doordash, they have partnerships with local & national eateries and a "subscription" ($9/mo) negates the delivery fee. This could give people "options" (I was feeling extreme fatigue where cooking would have been a challenge). First order here gives 30 day free delivery for most regardless of order size... minimal orders are in line with two people.

The app seemed to choose the nearest vendor (others would have been a greater round trip) and tracked in real time... subs were on the road in less than 6 minutes and in my hands in less than 15 (indeed, app tracked real time movement/route of contractor and I had to hurry to put on clothes!) I suspect contractor had to be at Firehouse to get order that fast but it might take longer for a local or smaller vendor.

Food was as served in restaurant. A little salty but good (turkey club). Came in an insulated fiber box with crisp things crisp & soft things soft. Acceptable.

I DID tip contractor generously since it was first order so I may see how things go as I burn through the 30.

On a personal note, my health is spiraling (have been using grocery delivery for a few months... I have an aide who now helps with light housekeeping... depth of fatigue increasing with no medical solutions yet) so I continue to "experiment" with alternatives (easier to use shuttle service for Dr appt than drive). This info might not reflect directly, but might give ya'll info for a friend or family member.

Sushi to my door WILL be interesting. Prolly my next order next week.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post

Sushi to my door WILL be interesting. Prolly my next order next week.
    Get friends to come and "bring it."
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Get friends to come and "bring it."
    Already have an extravaganza with friends planned for June. I'll brush up on my sushi etiquette quietly, in private, ALL MINE, at home.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sushi order just placed.

Estimated delivery is 40 minutes, but this is lunch hour.

Hopefully, contractor won't spit in miso soup as I only tipped 10%.

Interesting to note that contractor has Cali area code... vendor, however, located on University "strip" so could be a student.

I also noted what might be a "built in" charge! Vendor website posts prices about a dollar less!

Text says meal on way ahead of schedule.

Tracker has chosen simplest route that hits every traffic light to my house!! Now BACK on scheduled time (highway is quickest but so far, each dasher uses surface streets)!!!

Made up time and is now arriving 10 minutes ahead of schedule.

Here (an old student or professor?). Taste review later.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    They would only spit in your dashi, and one would be more worried what would happen if ordering, suimono. The Slow death sipping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    They would only spit in your dashi, and one would be more worried what would happen if ordering, suimono. The Slow death sipping.
    Note to self: whip up and freeze some dashi. Buy more flaked Bonito.

The miso was average but that was good. They made no attempt to "make it their own". Tradition.

I sampled one roll while reserving the other till later. I accept what that entails. Indeed, being a delivery (and possibly pre made) I expected the nori would loose it's snap which was the case. Enuff wasabi to tear an elephant (may integrate wasabi into a compound butta and freeze). Pickled ginger a delight (palate cleanse).

I doubt I'd do it again save for catering (and that's not likely... rather have chef on site) but now I know. Next up, BBQ Beef rib and/or brisket (mesquite). I no longer have time, appetite or money to do a whole brisket!

Sweet Potato Kugel

Shun Gate

Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Note to self: whip up and freeze some dashi. Buy more flaked Bonito. snip
    I roll my own. When it comes to おかか, you have to be careful. I'll stick with a shaved katsuobushi.

You have triggered hunger.

triggered

Misfit Toy
    We love DoorDash. We use it probably every couple of weeks, when none of us feel like cooking. Most times delivery is within an hour...we plan for that.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

RoadBikeReview Member
    Most of the time it arrives just about the time we want it to, is always fresh no liquor on the tab, no noisy restaurant, and of course I get to eat it on an oceanfront deck instead in a dingy restaurant in town, lol. We have tried it about 8 times now, only for sushi and indian food which has been excellent.

We used it more after my recent surgery when I was disallowed to drive and the wife would already have a couple glasses of wine in her after work and a bike ride. And being a woman, she may be fetching but would never deign to be a fetcher.

However - I do not recommend per-ordering your meal for delivery. Tried the indian food this way and it arrived in condition like it had been under a heat lamp since I ordered it 3 hours before!

The only service here is called SkiptheDishes, but I understand they are being taken over by some Murrican outfit.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know