Ubuntu - a game changer for me
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    donuts?

Ubuntu - a game changer for me

after the post from earlier in the week about messing around with various distributions of Linux, i decided to play around with the defacto desktop standard - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. this distro has given me problems on the install so i canned it every time. Friday night i decided to sort out my problems - no video on boot, no sound, no NIC.

i decided my video problem was because of my older LCD monitor. instead of kludging the OS to play nice, i went out and bought a 22" LED LCD HDTV. my motherboard has HDMI output so i connected up them with an HDMI cable and wow. visually, Ubuntu eats Windows 7 for lunch on this display. the high quality video just exposes the inferior graphics of the Windows system.

i'm very impressed with Ubuntu and have setup a Virtual Box instance of Windows XP to test my ham radio program. if i can get the ham radio program to work correctly, i'm going to give Ubuntu a serious go as my desktop OS.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Except for my Garmin, I can't think of a reason not to. It functions as my travel PC on a USB HD, borrowing the hardware from the work lappy. Even so hobbled, it kicks win booty. And I'm not one to fuss around with things.

Now, if only Open Office could hit the last little bit of compatibility.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

donuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1
    Now, if only Open Office could hit the last little bit of compatibility.
    the only issue i've run into is supporting Excel with custom scripting. everything else opens - sometimes the formatting is a tad wonky, but i can live with that.

my testing has yielded a sad result - the Windows as a virtual machine on the 1900x1080 resolution screen is horrible looking. it doesn't matter if i can get the functions of my ham radio software to work, i simply can't read the screens. ugh. i MIGHT have a work around...
    -Steve

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    This is a legit question from a complete computer nooob- Are computers really this hard? I read on here all the time about M$ vs. Apple and now it's M$ vs Apple vs Ubuntu.

We have a laptop running Win 2000, another one running Vista, and two netbooks running XP and they all work fine. We have VZ Fios and the free version of AVG and have never run into any virus or any other problem.

Are we just lucky? Do other people have computer issues all the time?

We only use the computers for word/excel/light web surfing/itunes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use Ubuntu on my personal laptop. Everything I want to do on the computer on my own time can be accomplished with a browser and a calculator, and with my hardware being old and slow, it's a good fit for me. It feels good being off Windows, and I'm not messing with OSX.

I did finally try to sync up my Garmin the other day and no dice. Disappointing.

There is a good chance that I'll stick with the preinstalled copy of Windows the next time I get a computer to ensure universal comparability.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron
    i decided my video problem was because of my older LCD monitor. instead of kludging the OS to play nice, i went out and bought a 22" LED LCD HDTV. my motherboard has HDMI output so i connected up them with an HDMI cable and wow. visually, Ubuntu eats Windows 7 for lunch on this display. the high quality video just exposes the inferior graphics of the Windows system.
    This is strange, especially given that font rending under linux is out-of-the-box poorer than on Windows. It is also bizarre that changing panels would cause other hardware headaches to go away.

Ubuntu is like that OTOH. Sometimes it works on your hardware....sometimes it doesn't. No one can really explain how or why.

Funny truth-the top forum admin of UbuntuForums thought that 10.04 was a giant mistake as an "LTS" edition.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

donuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    This is strange, especially given that font rending under linux is out-of-the-box poorer than on Windows. It is also bizarre that changing panels would cause other hardware headaches to go away.

Ubuntu is like that OTOH. Sometimes it works on your hardware....sometimes it doesn't. No one can really explain how or why.

Funny truth-the top forum admin of UbuntuForums thought that 10.04 was a giant mistake as an "LTS" edition.
    my LCD was a no name brand and Ubuntu couldn't read it - the sync rate was off so i had to manually set it. this threw off the read on the motherboard (embedded graphics). when i plugged in a different monitor, i was prompted to pull down the ATi software - that got my NIC and sound working.

as for the fonts - i installed the MS fonts and life is good.
    -Steve

donuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by lampshade
    We only use the computers for word/excel/light web surfing/itunes.
    i use computers for other things and here's a nifty trick in Windows. double click the clock in the lower right corner. once you figure out how to display the calendar, click on a date. notice that nothing happens.

on my computer running Ubuntu 10.04, when i click on the date, it shows me what, if anything, is scheduled. it's just different level of "working"

there is a reason so many people love the Apple OS X and would love to have it on a PC. this sort of integration is commonplace with that OS.
    -Steve

Rep *****.
    Have you been banned from the Ubuntu forums yet?

donuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by firstrax
    Have you been banned from the Ubuntu forums yet?
    not sure - only posted one thread so far and i answered my own question
    -Steve

Palm trees & sunshine!
    i use computers for other things and here's a nifty trick in Windows. double click the clock in the lower right corner. once you figure out how to display the calendar, click on a date. notice that nothing happens.

on my computer running Ubuntu 10.04, when i click on the date, it shows me what, if anything, is scheduled. it's just different level of "working"

there is a reason so many people love the Apple OS X and would love to have it on a PC. this sort of integration is commonplace with that OS.

Yeah, when Microsoft integrates they end up getting their asses taken to court for anti-trust violations.

supervillain

Call me a Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    Yeah, when Microsoft integrates they end up getting their asses taken to court for anti-trust violations.
    The civil-rights laws require Microsoft to be integrated.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

donuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    it's on thing to integrate, it's another to block others from removing the programs, or using another one in it's place. that's what got them the slap.
    -Steve

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I have a Mac with OSX and my parents have a desktop with Windows 7 and I get the point about OSX having nicer features that I prefer, but what is the benefit of Unbuntu over Windows? I've heard all the stuff about it being a more open and more powerful OS, but what does that do for you? Being able to customize your OS more or what? I am rather computer savvy, but anything I want to do with a computer can easily be done with any decently working computer (internet surfing, word processing stuff, an occasional Excel sheet or some math program), so I have no special computer needs so to speak. So do people prefer Unbuntu or some other form of Linux because it is neater or does it allow you to do stuff other OS's don't?

I'm a total noob here when it comes to that stuff so be gentle .

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by bmb032
    I have a Mac with OSX and my parents have a desktop with Windows 7 and I get the point about OSX having nicer features that I prefer, but what is the benefit of Unbuntu over Windows? I've heard all the stuff about it being a more open and more powerful OS, but what does that do for you? Being able to customize your OS more or what? I am rather computer savvy, but anything I want to do with a computer can easily be done with any decently working computer (internet surfing, word processing stuff, an occasional Excel sheet or some math program), so I have no special computer needs so to speak. So do people prefer Unbuntu or some other form of Linux because it is neater or does it allow you to do stuff other OS's don't?

Linux can be anything you want it to be. Complete customization. A flavor for anythng. You don't like it, you can change it. Nothing is locked-down because a workerbee in a cube at Redmond said so.

Linux is not for you if you are not open to learning a bit more about computers.

Ubuntu specifically, is intended to be a drop-in Windows/OSX replacement. That is it is as heavy as Windows-because it is designed to do all the crap the Windows does--whether you want it to or not. It is intended to be one of the more newb friendly Linux flavors in that it tries to do all the setup for you and seems to hide some stuff like Windows does. This can either be good or obnoxious, depending on the user. Most Linux users start on Ubuntu, or OpenSUSE, or Fedora Linux and then move to something else.

Every Linux basically provides the same software-but the packager's philosophy impacts the user experience.

If you want to try it-you can see what all the fuss is about by burning a LiveCD, and non-destructively trying it (no data is written to your HDD).

Adorable Furry Hombre
    my LCD was a no name brand and Ubuntu couldn't read it - the sync rate was off so i had to manually set it. this threw off the read on the motherboard (embedded graphics). when i plugged in a different monitor, i was prompted to pull down the ATi software - that got my NIC and sound working.

as for the fonts - i installed the MS fonts and life is good.
    Well there's your problem. ATi onboard graphics.

It was only after AMD bought out ATi that ATi started producing half-decent Windows drivers...maybe someday they'll produce a non-craptastic Linux driver.

donuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmb032
    i don't have to pay crazy money for an operating system that is so full of holes that i'm constantly worried about security. i don't have to pirate software for image, video, and sound editing. i can install the OS on as many computers as I have without fear of violating the EULA.

with a community of thousands looking over the code, Ubuntu and the many other distributions of GNU/Linux are very robust and secure. the OS is never a static product, it is constantly being re-developed and improved, the GNU/Linux developers are much quicker to implement new ideas. how long does it take MS to release an OS? and then how long does it take to release a service patch?
    -Steve

donuts?
    Well there's your problem. ATi onboard graphics.

It was only after AMD bought out ATi that ATi started producing half-decent Windows drivers...maybe someday they'll produce a non-craptastic Linux driver.
    i have two computers connected to my HD monitor. the Windows XP box uses nVidia with the most current drivers and it looks like crap. the ATi with the drivers out of the box in Ubuntu crushed the nVidia. once i installed the ATi drivers in Ubuntu, it pwns my foice. HDMI FTW!

the on board does a great jorb with 3D rendering and acceleration. i'm pleased with my $89.00 mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131398
    Last edited by asciibaron; 08-16-2010 at 05:32 AM.
    -Steve

I drank what?
    Hey Ascii, I have a old dell laptop Inspiron 2650 I want to put ubuntu on just to use as a media laptop. The laptop doesn't have an operating system on it currently and I downloaded the ubuntu OS from http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop. However, I can't seem to get it to boot from the CD drive to get it to start the installation process. I've gotten into the bios and I think it's trying to read the CD drive on start up, but doesn't seem to load. Soo, what am I doing wrong here. What's the best route to get it installed?

Haven't had a chance to get into the ubuntu forums yet/

donuts?
    did you d/l the .iso image and burn it to the CD-R? if so, mash F11,ESC, or someother key to bring up the boot menu.

coming to from my wife's former netbook -running Ubuntu 10.04 on it.
    -Steve

Adorable Furry Hombre
    did you d/l the .iso image and burn it to the CD-R? if so, mash F11,ESC, or someother key to bring up the boot menu.

coming to from my wife's former netbook -running Ubuntu 10.04 on it.
    Make sure the ISO file was burned as a disk image, and not just burned onto a data CD. Also use slower burn modes, and good quality CD media.

There's good CD media, and there's crap CD media. Memorex tends to be the worst IME.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    i have two computers connected to my HD monitor. the Windows XP box uses nVidia with the most current drivers and it looks like crap. the ATi with the drivers out of the box in Ubuntu crushed the nVidia. once i installed the ATi drivers in Ubuntu, it pwns my foice. HDMI FTW!

the on board does a great jorb with 3D rendering and acceleration. i'm pleased with my $89.00 mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131398
    I thought about that board when I was shopping-but I wanted a core-unlocking board, and got a BioStar TA790GX 128M. Great overclocking board, with the WORST documentation I have ever seen. Those guys compete head-on with Garmin for awful support info.

donuts?
    I thought about that board when I was shopping-but I wanted a core-unlocking board, and got a BioStar TA790GX 128M. Great overclocking board, with the WORST documentation I have ever seen. Those guys compete head-on with Garmin for awful support info.
    overclocking is like putting a wing on your 1989 Ford Topaz hehe.
    -Steve

Adorable Furry Hombre
    overclocking is like putting a wing on your 1989 Ford Topaz hehe.

Pfffft. I took a 3-core chip. Turned it into a 4-core chip with some BIOS voodoo, and then overclocked it +30%. What were you saying grasshopper?

Palm trees & sunshine!
    I grabbed kubuntu earlier today and loaded it up on my Win7 laptop to see how it's progressed in the past year. Most of the apps I use at the office are via RDP and I've been using Chrome as my browser for a while now. If ever there has been a point where I could seriously consider using a linux distro as my primary desktop, it's now.

So, I'm running it right now. I don't know that I agree that it looks better than Win7 but I haven't spent a whole lot of time making it pretty. Performance-wise, it's net-net (I've been wanting to use that for a while now) compared to Win7. Now I just have to get my mail setup and Audacity working properly.... and a couple other annoying things that I need to adjust to.

supervillain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast