Unlocked Smartphone ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

Unlocked Smartphone ?

Everything I want to order on the internet, one has to have a smart phone to dl the app and run it. I don't have a smart phone, I don't want one, I use a flip phone.

....so, can I just get an unlocked smart phone, connect it to my home network, and dl the apps, and use it to run my fitbit, etc. ... or is there something I'm missing.

Please help.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Of course you can. Just keep in mind that many apps will choke unless they have a live connection back to their masters.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nova_rider; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:55 PM. Reason: ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    Just keep in mind that many apps will choke unless they have a live connection back to their masters.
    I have no idea what this means!
    The apps just adj the time zone, etc. and do not need to be continously interconnected to the smartphone/internet.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    The apps just adj the time zone, etc. and do not need to be continously interconnected to the smartphone/internet.
    You would think that, but often that's not the case. You mentioned Fitbit app; sure it will launch without a connection, but won't do anything unless it's connected either via WiFi or mobile network.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I said I was going to hook it to my home network, so I don't see how your comment applies.
    BANNED

Russian Troll Farmer
    Does your fitbit have GPS tracking?

So, you still have a flip-phone? How..........quaint.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Fitbit, I don't know, I'm just going to use the HR function, and the day of the week.
    I have a garmin GPS & catey GPS, so i don't need fitbit GPS.
    I'm on the bleed'in edge!
    BANNED

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    duriel, I think you should look for another type of app. Maybe one PC based?

Smartphone apps designed to run on smartphones typically "need" to use at least location services... and most of them are set up to "require" access to your personal stuff like contacts, text messages, voicemail, photos, videos, calls, web browsing history, cached web browser files, and other highly personal stuff... won't run correctly on anything but a smartphone that's set to make your data available to the app.

My opinion? Most smartphone apps are invasive and are collecting highly personal and sensitive data on an ongoing basis... even if you have explicitly turned off permissions they say they require.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Depends on the app - if you are using it to sync / load a fit bit data, that should work as you don't need mobile data on to sync to Garmin Connect which is similar - it can be done on Wifi. Some apps may require your mobile data to work though. If you can list specific apps you want to do, people with that app could see if it works with mobile data turned off and hooked just to wifi for you if they have the same app.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Spike, if you get a fitbit type watch, they tell you what app you need to use, you don't get to pick one, as I interpret the info.
    I don't know what "location services" are, you don't use your contacts, etc, etc, to set the hours and day on a watch.
    So you don't use any phone, pc, or drive a car, most of those devices have tracking or data gathering info, just like this www site has specific ads posted when I log in.
    Someone here keeps shopping womens teddies, WTH?
    BANNED

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Spike, if you get a fitbit type watch, they tell you what app you need to use, you don't get to pick one, as I interpret the info.
    I don't know what "location services" are, you don't use your contacts, etc, etc, to set the hours and day on a watch.
    So you don't use any phone, pc, or drive a car, most of those devices have tracking or data gathering info, just like this www site has specific ads posted when I log in.
    Someone here keeps shopping womens teddies, WTH?
    I don't know about fitbit.

I ditched all exercise tracking apps several years ago. They all had deep access to my personal data, most of which has nothing to do with tracking fitness.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Everything I want to order on the internet, one has to have a smart phone to dl the app and run it. I don't have a smart phone, I don't want one, I use a flip phone.

....so, can I just get an unlocked smart phone, connect it to my home network, and dl the apps, and use it to run my fitbit, etc. ... or is there something I'm missing.

Please help.
    Not exactly sure what you are asking but if what you want to do is run an app on a smartphone without cellular access that can work. You dont even need to get an unlocked phone for that. A phone that is "locked" means that it is tied to a specific cell network (Sprint, ATT Verizon, etc). You can still run it from WiFi only. Your Fitbit syncs to the phone via Bluetooth, so yes, you can download steps to your phone and then to whenever app you want to use

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    OK, thnks. I didn't really understand what 'locked' meant. I don't want to activate a carrier or month usage or to use it as a phone or whatever, only to run my setup apps for other devices.

I found some unlocked phones on amazon for $50. I would think that being locked or unlocked would not affect the price much.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    OK, thnks. I didn't really understand what 'locked' meant. I don't want to activate a carrier or month usage or to use it as a phone or whatever, only to run my setup apps for other devices.

I found some unlocked phones on amazon for $50. I would think that being locked or unlocked would not affect the price much.
    Locked phones will be cheaper. They will still work with Wifi

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you're only going to be connected to WiFi, maybe an iPod Touch would work?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    If you're only going to be connected to WiFi, maybe an iPod Touch would work?
    Usually it has to have android 8 or the like or later operating system. I don't think an ipod would be cheaper than $50? It might work, but for $50 for something that will work it a go. ..... if it will work, that is why I'm here, i don't know anything about smart phones and all that little stuff. I use laptops/desktops and associated programs (not apps!).

thanks, it may work though.
    BANNED

Russian Troll Farmer
    The I pod idea is good, but there are a ton of cheap, Android-based tablets out there from no-name Chinese manufacturers. As long as they run Android, they run the same aps that an android phone would. and with a larger screen, as well. Sounds like a tablet is what you want.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I looked at some tablets, they would probably work too!
    The cheap ones seem to be running older android OS, I think saw I needed ver8. The $34 tablet was running OS 5.something.
    I'll need to think some more about this before ordering. So keep the comments coming. .... this is good!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The cheap ones seem to be running older android OS, I think saw I needed ver8. The $34 tablet was running OS 5.something.
    I'll need to think some more about this before ordering. So keep the comments coming. .... this is good!
    I bought one of those super cheap Android tablets years back and it was junk. I've have a Samsung tablet now its its much better. You can get a new Samsung Tab A with 8" screen and 32G of memory for $120. If that is too much look for a used one

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Aren't you concerned that you'll look funny working out with a tablet strapped to your wrist?

I guess you could hang it around your neck, Flavor Flav style.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Aren't you concerned that you'll look funny working out with a tablet strapped to your wrist?
    .... a NO, I'm wearing a clown suit, aren't U?

.... you're not getting it, the device (tablet or phone) is just to set the things up, once that is done, the tablet/phone are going in a drawer.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    .... a NO, I'm wearing a clown suit, aren't U?

.... you're not getting it, the device (tablet or phone) is just to set the things up, once that is done, the tablet/phone are going in a drawer.
    Are you saying you just need the phone/tablet to setup some fitness device? If that is it, why not just ask a friend to use their phone to set it up?

Proud luddite
    Your Luddite tendencies are to be commended. Keep up the good work.

Part of Murphy's Law
    Oct 2007
    I'm unsure how FitBit works. But, if it stores your workout data and you just need to transfer it to your account, your thoughts are correct. Just get a cheap smartphone or tablet for the app. A phone like:

https://www.amazon.com/BLU-Advance-2...s%2C175&sr=8-3

An fyi, if you have a connector for your FitBit, you may only need to download the app to your computer and connect via the usb connection. My garmin watch works via Bluetooth on my phone or provided USB cable used via a Garmin app on my pc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bq_or_bust View Post
    I'm unsure how FitBit works. But, if it stores your workout data and you just need to transfer it to your account, your thoughts are correct. Just get a cheap smartphone or tablet for the app. A phone like:

https://www.amazon.com/BLU-Advance-2...s%2C175&sr=8-3

An fyi, if you have a connector for your FitBit, you may only need to download the app to your computer and connect via the usb connection. My garmin watch works via Bluetooth on my phone or provided USB cable used via a Garmin app on my pc.
    If you are just using steps and HR on your Fitbit, this should work. The Fitbit device needs to sync with the tablet/phone to download the data collected on the Fitbit via Bluetooth. That could be every couple of days if you want. The phone/tablet we load to data via WiFi to the Frbit Mothership

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast