Upgrading a processor for a P3
    banned

Upgrading a processor for a P3

I have been considering replacing my desktop, but my existing system is only three years old. It is a Sony Vaio P3 with 512k ram and two HDs with plenty of storage. I was wondering if this system can have the processor upgraded, and if so, to what speed. Can I simply replace the processor or can I replace the MB and processor? Or should I just spend the $600 - $1200 to get a new system? Any input is appreciated.
    Last edited by Live Steam; 10-24-2004 at 08:01 PM.

Old enough to know better
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Steam
    I have been considering replacing my desktop, but my existing system is only three years old. It is a Sony Vaio P3 with 512k ram and two HDs with plenty of storage. I was wondering if this system can have the processor upgraded, and if so, to what speed. Can I simply replace the processor or can I replace the MB and processor? Or should I just spend the $600 - $1200 to get a new system? Any input is appreciated.

There is really no "right" answer to the question. I had a sony vaio pc for about 3 years prolly a very similar configuration to your own, and i sold it to a friend for $100. It was still in fine shape. The problem with the Sony's is that most of the stuff on the mother board is integrated, and they dont really give you alot of expansion slots. While puttin in a new MB is not that big of a deal (make sure you know what your doing, dont THINK you know what your doing, either you do or you dont) it can get cashy. The sonys dont take every MB out there so you have to find one that will fit. I would check www.tigerdirect.com for mother boards. In the end its much easier to just buy a new box. Dont have to worry about loosing info if you crash the HDs or anything. I find it much easier to just get in the car drive to a box store shell out the cash and hook it up and be done. Good luck hope this has helped.
    Drew

FOC

Oct 2004

Three year old Sony P3

P4's have been out for a while now. P3 is old technology. My best suggesstion would be to check out www.techbargains.com. They list awsome deals on full systems as well as system upgrades.

my $0.02

gazing from the shadows

first, questions.

Why replace it? What can't you do with your current system that you need to do? What do you want to do that you can't do? How is it holding you back? Is there some new software program you want to use that needs a processor upgrade?

Home or office?

Generally, I say replace at 3+ years, upgrade before 3 years. The only exception is if you 1) know enough to do the work yourself, and 2) have been upgrading all along. Upgrading an old machine and paying the labor costs adds up fast, and soon you are close to a new machine cost anyway.

Keep in mind that other components fail too. HDs burn out, sound cards fail, etc. If this is a "mission critical" machine, then replacement is the best option.

Also, replacing allows you to network the machines. This gives you a great back up for your data, and let's you keep working if one goes down. Assuming a work environment of course, but it is nice for the home too.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

banned
    I have been helping a friend out in their shop, doing type setting and layout. She became inundated with work and needed some assistance. I have plenty of free time these days, so I pitched in. The machine there is an HP Pavilion with a 2.4ghz processor. It blows my 800ghz away in terms of regenerating graphics, which is what I do primarily, at home in CAD design and some desktop publishing. I am fairly capable in terms of having the ability to perform the upgrades myself, however I wanted to see if anyone had first hand knowledge of what the possibilities are for these Sony machines. I used to build my own clones, which was a much better way to go, but I saw this unit at a great price and didn't think building one was worth it at the time. Clones have way more flexibility in terms of upgrading. Maybe I'll do that again.

I hear you about the HDs. That is why I always install a second and use it for all my data storage.

gazing from the shadows

sony tends to be odd

Sony likes to uses their own proprietary hardware, but that is a general statement and not a specific one on your machine. You need to look at the specs, find out the MB configuration, and see what your options are.

You probably should have a gig of ram for CAD apps (assuming winXP), but given the calculations involved the processor speed is likely your chokepoint. CAD requires some serious number cruching.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Lurkaholic
    I've built a few computers from scratch (meaning buying the parts separately, then assembling, formatting, etc) and I as much a I searched and bargained, could not build any of them cheaper than a pre-built system of the same specs.

Upgrading a system is always perilous, as your system will always be retarded by the slowest component. (ie you can upgrade the processor, but maybe the HD; FSB or RAM speed will make the gains negligible if any).

I reckon a new system (PC unit) every 2 years or so keeps you up with the jones in the most economic way. Just backup everything on your previous master drive and place it as slave drive in the new system as the easiest way of transferring your old data.

Partition and backup your hard drives (even if you have more than one) to avoid disasters. Drive Image is a great program for this, but I think XP now gives you a way to do this.

Arrogant roadie.....
    3 years? It's time to upgrade.

I've recently built a new desktop with an AMD 2.6 gig chip (they work faster than comparable sized intel chips), 1 gig memory, a nice video card, good audio card, 6 USB ports, a nice big box with 4 large slots and a 400w power supply, an 80 gig HD, 10/100 card, and a DVD ROM and a DVD burner (16x, double sided), and added Norton and Win XP pro all for less than $800. It's also easily upgradeable, something your Sony isn't.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

banned
    Yeah I always built my own clone, but this box was such a good buy at the time it didn't make sense to not get it. I always used AMD chips too. This is the first Intel box I've had since my 286 with a 20meg HD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2003

Go to the Dell Outlet

Here's a link

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/defa...=22&l=en&s=dfh

The systems are new systems that someone returned. They are refurbished and come with a normal warranty. Dell always has some kind of special deal for free shipping and/or extra money off. There are always a lot of machines to choose from.

Arrogant roadie.....
    Dell sucks. Proprietary motherboards, non-standard power sources, etc. A poor choice for anybody interested in upgrading-only for the people who know nothing about computers, IMHO.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2003

I'm not sure upgrading makes a lot of sense anymore

I live in Silicon Valley and have built all the computers that I use regularly. However, my son's computer's power supply blew and fried the processor, motherboard, hard drive, etc. It would have cost me more to fix it myself than I spent at the Dell Outlet on a P4 with 1 gig of memory, an 80 gig hard drive, XP Professional, etc.