Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ricardo Cabeza
    here's another one, from 1628. The King's warship Vasa. It is the most complete and well preserved warship from that era. Well, actually, it's the ONLY one. If you get a chance to see it, do so, because in another generation it will be gone.

They did a very bad thing during the conservation that is causing it to deteriorate uncontrollably. There was a big deal on it about 10 years ago at our annual conference, and basically the scientific consensus was that there wasn't anything that could be done. I think they've made some inroads in the last few years but they're very tight lipped. It;s no wonder, Vasa is a national treasure to the Swedes and it's loss is going to be hard to take.

Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Slightly Opinionated
    Damn cool stuff. Always something fascinating about the remains of the past.

Turns out a buddy of mine has spoken to the owner of the property quite a bit: decay really started badly when the skylight shattered in a bad storm and water began pouring into the structure. That really accelerated the decay of the structure.

Being that he's talked with the owner, perhaps I can actually get permission to go wander around the structure, instead of just slipping through the fence.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

ReviewBikeRoad Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgetop
    I don't have any pictures with me, but out here it is single wide trailers that I end up exploring all over the desert.

Don't laugh. Really.
    I did the same thing when I was visiting a friend in Arizona a few years ago. Him and his wife lived in Yuma, but I flew into Phoenix because it was substantially cheaper.

On the drive to and from Yuma, I'd make him pull over at all the abandoned trailer, houses, etc. so I could take pictures. It was neat, amazing, and sad at the same time.

Captain Obvious
    sad seeing craftsmanship falling apart.
    And it just hurts in the very best way possible without a high priced dominatrix.---Ronsonic

I'm pretty confident that I've pissed off several dozen random strangers on the internet tonight.---Creakyknees

disclaimer---I make sh!t up as I go along.

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69
    They did a very bad thing during the conservation that is causing it to deteriorate uncontrollably.
    I knew about the Vasa - not a good moment in the history of naval architecture... Didn't realize that part of it and read the Wiki version of the story. Pretty unbelieveable, after pulling it out of the water three and a half centuries later and spending years to stabilize it.

Do you know about the Mesquite? It's a relatively recent one. I'll leave out the 'woman driver' comment.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii View Post
    Decided to take a detour on the way home this afternoon and stopped to check out the ruined Wyndcliffe Mansion outside of Rhinebeck NY.

Pretty awesome. I just wish I had something more than my iPhone to take photos with. Also wish it wasn't on a private road; I don't really want a trespassing ticket.

More photos like this one on the blog link.
    Most of the second floor has collapsed. The property sold in 2016 for $120K and the new owner filed for a permit to demolish the remaining structure. That's a shame, it was such a beautiful old house. But at some point it becomes irreversible.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    here's another one, from 1628. The King's warship Vasa. It is the most complete and well preserved warship from that era. Well, actually, it's the ONLY one. If you get a chance to see it, do so, because in another generation it will be gone.

They did a very bad thing during the conservation that is causing it to deteriorate uncontrollably. There was a big deal on it about 10 years ago at our annual conference, and basically the scientific consensus was that there wasn't anything that could be done. I think they've made some inroads in the last few years but they're very tight lipped. It;s no wonder, Vasa is a national treasure to the Swedes and it's loss is going to be hard to take.

This is really interesting. I just read the wiki page about this. Thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12