The Weather?

Thread: The Weather?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014

The Weather?

I'm an infrequent poster of comments here, hoping this is not out of line. Yesterday I took the afternoon off and biked. I covered 43.7 miles. That's a good distance for me. Could have done more, but ran out of time and trail.
    Now I don't like to brag, but I'm quite pleased so I shared this with a few fellow employees here. The response from each one was oddly similar: "Well you had good weather for it".
    Okay, not the fact I covered 43.7 miles, age 60. The weather.
    Well the weather had next to nothing to do with it. Years of biking and training are why. I know 43.7 is nothing compared to many cyclists here, but it's a lot to me, and not a soul here does anything of the sort. Couch potatoes all.
    The weather my %#@&! posterior.
    Was I just barking up the wrong trees?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    The weather for this mornings ride was a little cool starting off, then it was really nice. Mondays ride up near Flag was tremendous weather, a little windy, but OMG the sun setting over the lakes were OOTWorld!
    This morning I headed out to get my KOM back.... Fail, but the weather was nice!
    BANNED

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'm almost your age (56). I rode 103 miles on Saturday. I didn't feel compelled to tell anyone here at work on Monday. I know I'm awesome. I don't need adulation from non-bikers. And the weather wasn't even that nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    been on audience

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lrobby99 View Post
    I'm an infrequent poster of comments here, hoping this is not out of line. Yesterday I took the afternoon off and biked. I covered 43.7 miles. That's a good distance for me. Could have done more, but ran out of time and trail.
    Now I don't like to brag, but I'm quite pleased so I shared this with a few fellow employees here. The response from each one was oddly similar: "Well you had good weather for it".
    Well the weather had next to nothing to do with it. Years of biking and training are why. I know 43.7 is nothing compared to many cyclists here, but it's a lot to me, and not a soul here does anything of the sort. Couch potatoes all.
    I am not sure what torqued you off about this. I think they were just looking for something to say

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I am not sure what torqued you off about this. I think they were just looking for something to say
    I guess so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Now I don't like to brag...
    aw, c'mon...don't play that card. you were blatantly bragging your ass off for what, without some hellacious pace and/or monster elevation, is only a fairly modest achievement.

here's a slow-clap for ya...feel better now?
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If the 43 miles included a mountain and it was mentioned, I bet you would have got a more positive response. otherwise, meyay!

How was the weather?
    BANNED

Master debator.
    Honestly other people don't care how far you biked, ran, or swam, or hiked etc. That's just the way it is, if they don't do it themselves they don't understand. Don't take it personally.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Darling of The Lounge
    Want to impress people? Beat this...

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/longest-paperclip-chain-individual/

Bonus points if you're employed at a paperclip factory.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Want to impress people? Beat this...

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/longest-paperclip-chain-individual/

Bonus points if you're employed at a paperclip factory.
    I've long thought that paperclip chaining should be an Olympic sport. Sadly, the IOC is still is dragging their feet

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Honestly other people don't care how far you biked, ran, or swam, or hiked etc. That's just the way it is, if they don't do it themselves they don't understand. Don't take it personally.
    So very true. My daughter races and none of her friends at school have a clue what that means. This summer one of her friends came and watched a crit. He was amazed at the speed and how close they rode together. He also witnessed a wicked crash just after asking what the hay bales in front of the sign posts were for. He decided to stick to golf for his sport of choice.

My office does an "on the move" summer 'fitness' program. Log so many activities and they give you a gift card. They also have teams compete for prizes. Before one staff meeting everyone was 'bragging' about how much they exercised the previous weekend and how may steps they earned. They all stated how many steps they earned and how many weight watchers points they could use for dessert. They asked me what I did over the weekend. "I rode 63 miles". The immediate response from the bon-bon queen was "How fast did you go? Did you ride hard enough to get out of breath?" I responded "Hard enough, and feel free to join us for next weekends ride if you want to find out." She kindly declined... and never asked again.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Non cyclists don't know cycling but they do know weather, so their comments were about something they know.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Non cyclists don't know cycling but they do know weather, so their comments were about something they know.
    This....to the Nth power. In the past 7 1/2 months I have ridden more miles than I have driven (and I drove from s central wi to Detroit and back, and to Kansas and back) I like riding, driving not so much.....wish the weather was always nice!

Seriously, I would guess that most people that you would talk to in real life (as opposed to we imaginary internet faces) have no clue what it is like to ride more than 3 miles so they have zero idea what good cycling weather is! I rode yesterday, a reasonable distance, BUT the weather was fair, temp was perfect, however....it was a windy MF, this, of course means in your face no matter which direction you turned. Possible frost tonight, but the season ain't over yet! Really, was the weather perfect for riding? If so congratulations, 75 degrees and a tail wind all day.... in which case ...

As an aside, one of the local tv stations got a new weather monkey, right after he started, he was talking about a "breeze". I sent him a message on the stations page and explained that the word BREEZE should not be used unless he is a cyclist. To my surprise he responded and seriously, I don't believe he has used the word breeze if the air movement was over 5 mph since then!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I've long thought that paperclip chaining should be an Olympic sport. Sadly, the IOC is still is dragging their feet
    It's probably due to the involvement of the Yakuza in the Japanese paperclip industry back in the 1980s and the resulting blood feuds.

Sweet Potato Kugel

極道

What everyone else has said.

And Maps.
    Such as.
    Last edited by Eretz; 1 Week Ago at 02:38 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wouldn't take it personally. Most couch potato types have no idea what it means to ride 47 miles, they have no idea the physical challenge that comes with that, especially at 60 years of age. I would fart in their general direction and walk away.
    "I'm Concerned If We Don't Impeach This President, He Will Get Re-Elected" - Rep Al Green (D)

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Exactly. Like if you were a meteorologist speaking in meteorological terms to a TdF rider. They'd say some inane thing about cycling. And you'd get steamed about that.