Weather Apps

Thread: Weather Apps

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017

Weather Apps

I used to really like Wunderground. Then TWC acquired them and the downward spiral began. The app is very fritzy and appears to randomly decide if it's going to load weather data upon starting up. I stuck with it because it was the only app I found that allowed me to get data from a single weather station at a local airport. I liked that station because it had the best, most accurate data on wind speed and direction and helped me plan my rides. It seems like the other local PWSs are sheltered because they grossly under-report wind speed.

A few weeks ago that airport must have shut down that weather station or it stopped reporting because it no longer shows in the Wunderground app. I can view that airport's station data on the NWS website, but it was nice having the forecast and everything right there, too. Now, with no reason to stick with Wunderground anymore, I'm on the hunt for a new app.

So does anyone have any recommendations for a good weather app? If I can lock it onto a weather station that's awesome, otherwise I may have to bite the bullet and put together my own PWS.

xxl
    https://www.weather.gov/

The same weather the astronauts get.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Im fd.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Check out Arcus Weather
    It's for Android. Don't know if it does everything you want but it's a pretty much no frills and accurate
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Adorable Furry Hombre
    The Dark Sky.

I have my own PWS and use Ambient Weather's own so app to view the data off it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    https://www.weather.gov/

The same weather the astronauts get.
    If I am out riding I use Accuweather app as the radar graphics are better. The NWS site has a lot of data but the radar images are not as good and don't support re-sizing like Accuweather

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use Accuweather, Dark Sky, and EpicRide Weather (powered by Dark Sky). The last one takes any ride you've uploaded and gives predictor data (wind direction, temp, cloud cover etc) for the course of the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I appreciate the suggestions. Not currently using a weather app. Well other than the standard iPhone app. Will check some of these out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I like Storm - Weather Radar & Maps (The Weather Channel) on my iphone.

A good radar with different options and a 14 day forecast in graph form that allows very fast review of temps, precipitation and wind speed. Also allows you to drill down to a 48 hr forecast for more detail.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Local weather, keep location active and read the screen of the "local weather." Simple, fast easy and no frills.

If you're a die hard cyclist? This is what I use.

Double tap to enlarge specific area of residence

Wind Speed Map

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wunderground for me - still works fine not issues despite new ownership. It's a little laggy on the computer browser but fine on my phone.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Nothing beats WTForecast

No really.. it's hilarious and mostly accurate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks for the replies. I'd never heard of Epic Ride Weather. I'm going to try that out. I've hear a lot about Dark Sky and may try that as well. Marc, which PWS do you have? I almost bought a bunch of Davis stuff a couple years ago but ultimately decided not to. It seemed like a lot of messing around to set it up to report online and keep that reporting going. I have too many hobbies eating up my time as it is; If Ambient has their own app I'd imagine it's pretty user friendly to set up and keep running.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Nothing beats WTForecast

No really.. it's hilarious and mostly accurate.
    My wife uses WTForecast and sends me the screenshots often. I agree it's good stuff.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'd never heard of Epic Ride Weather. I'm going to try that out. I've hear a lot about Dark Sky and may try that as well. Marc, which PWS do you have? I almost bought a bunch of Davis stuff a couple years ago but ultimately decided not to. It seemed like a lot of messing around to set it up to report online and keep that reporting going. I have too many hobbies eating up my time as it is; If Ambient has their own app I'd imagine it's pretty user friendly to set up and keep running.
    I'm on my second Ambient Weather PWS...first one, a WS100X-Wifi got damaged (wind direction vane busted) in a severe t-storm by wind-debris the spring. Bought another to replace it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5TEHLI/

Only annoyances about it....configuring it initially was annoying because the app was biffed on Android 9 "Pie" back in May; had to find a Samsung s8 running Oreo to do the startup. Other annoyance is the newer formfactor is more of a bird-perch IME. The Davis stuff has higher sampling rates (I think up to every 5 or 10 seconds) which are useful if you're serious about tracking spikes like wind gusts etc...but the Ambient Weather units are "good enough" for knowing what the weather is where you are (both Wunderground and AW's sites only store samples every minute IIRC). Part of why I got a PWS in the first place was tracking rainfall as for years the airport's station severely under-reported rainfall; and on my end of town that makes the difference between the MUP I commute on flooding or not.

I stopped using Wunderground to mirror my PWS data when they changed the TOS to include datamining and selling your Lat/Lon info to anyone. You can still pair AW PWS units to WU, I choose not to. Ambient Weather has an app and a web domain you need your creds to log into to see your data--so it is at least semi-private.

Other thing...setup and siting is critical to getting good weather data. Particularly wind and rain. You want to be above and away from obstructions for wind....although the wind at 10m AGL is different from surface winds unless you live on the Great Plains or the french Vendee or dutch Zeeland. I mounted mine to a cheap sat-dish arm on the gable-end of the roof peak.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I'm on my second Ambient Weather PWS...first one, a WS100X-Wifi got damaged (wind direction vane busted) in a severe t-storm by wind-debris the spring. Bought another to replace it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5TEHLI/

Only annoyances about it....configuring it initially was annoying because the app was biffed on Android 9 "Pie" back in May; had to find a Samsung s8 running Oreo to do the startup. Other annoyance is the newer formfactor is more of a bird-perch IME. The Davis stuff has higher sampling rates (I think up to every 5 or 10 seconds) which are useful if you're serious about tracking spikes like wind gusts etc...but the Ambient Weather units are "good enough" for knowing what the weather is where you are (both Wunderground and AW's sites only store samples every minute IIRC). Part of why I got a PWS in the first place was tracking rainfall as for years the airport's station severely under-reported rainfall; and on my end of town that makes the difference between the MUP I commute on flooding or not.

I stopped using Wunderground to mirror my PWS data when they changed the TOS to include datamining and selling your Lat/Lon info to anyone. You can still pair AW PWS units to WU, I choose not to. Ambient Weather has an app and a web domain you need your creds to log into to see your data--so it is at least semi-private.

Other thing...setup and siting is critical to getting good weather data. Particularly wind and rain. You want to be above and away from obstructions for wind....although the wind at 10m AGL is different from surface winds unless you live on the Great Plains or the french Vendee or dutch Zeeland. I mounted mine to a cheap sat-dish arm on the gable-end of the roof peak.
    Thanks, that's kind of where I landed with the Davis stuff. It's great stuff, but probably more than I would actually use. I agree that location is critical. That's the whole reason I liked the airport station. There are a lot of PWS' around me that I can check on. They all grossly under-report wind. It would say 15-20 mph sustained wind at the airport and the PWS' would all say 5 mph. I'm guessing they were sheltered by trees. I live near Grand Forks, ND, and if I ride out of town the shelter from trees is a bit lacking, so the wind data is useless. I planned to put mine on the pole that my TV aerial is on, which is at the peak of my gable roof away from interference.

I live in farm country, so there are a few DTN stations around that would definitely give me what I need, but I haven't figured out how to get the data from them. I think you need to be a subscriber. I'm thinking I might just go the PWS route through Ambient. I like that the data is reasonably private.

Frog Whisperer
    for reference, I have a Honeywell/Meade station which I have been using for 15 years, that still performs flawlessly. HOWEVER, the software is some of the worst ever, anywhere! I switched to an AcuRite which has great software, reports to Dark Skies and Wunderground if desired. HOWEVER.....their hardware SUCKED....BAD! Lasted less than a year. As for Dark Skies.....meh, I swear most of the stations have their anemometers either inside or between buildings. SO..... when I hit the bottom of my driveway, I look across the street at the wind vane on the top of the silo and trow a handful of grass into the air! Living in the middle of 40 acres of trees, my own anemometer is pretty much a joke, neither speed nor direction is anywhere near accurate, (I had a disclaimer on my Weather Underground page) but the stats from the AcuRite were reported directly to Dark Skies so..... take that into consideration when using dark skies. On my phone and tablets I use My Radar which exclusively gives me NOAA/NWS radar and I draw my own conclusions (includes isobar data). I am at least as good as the TV weather monkeys and their dart boards!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    I use Accuweather, Dark Sky, and EpicRide Weather (powered by Dark Sky). The last one takes any ride you've uploaded and gives predictor data (wind direction, temp, cloud cover etc) for the course of the ride.
    I had not heard of EpicRide. Seems like a good idea. I will have to give it a try

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know if Ventusky has an app, but hot damn what a website.

Just found MetaWeather which is a fun little app.

Also made my own weather app in coding bootcamp that included whether or not it's a good hair day, plus degrees in not just F and C but K (okay that looks funny.) Got to show it off for our final presentation at Google even But I took it down because there's something I want to fix.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Wow, what a website indeed! I'll be playing with that for a while. And it has historical data!

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    Wow, what a website indeed! I'll be playing with that for a while. And it has historical data!
    Ventusky, no kidding, that got bookmarked!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."