What Do You Collect?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

What Do You Collect?

I thought it would be a fun thread to see what kind of collections other people on the forum have. I have several, and even though this is The Lounge (where anything goes), I decided to kick it off with a cycling related collection. Here's my collection of valve stem caps and nuts that I've accumulated over the years. Gives you some idea of how many flats I've had.

Lets see what you've got. Bonus points if it's cycling related.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sadly, after several years illness, I now collect bikes!!!

... and kit!!!

Attached Images Attached Images

Master debator.
    I collect micro USB charging cables. I also collect reading glasses, aluminum cans and cardboard and plastic bottrles etc., but I give those away when I get too many.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    I thought it would be a fun thread to see what kind of collections other people on the forum have. I have several, and even though this is The Lounge (where anything goes), I decided to kick it off with a cycling related collection. Here's my collection of valve stem caps and nuts that I've accumulated over the years. Gives you some idea of how many flats I've had.

Lets see what you've got. Bonus points if it's cycling related.
    I can't beat Akirasho on bike collections because I only have 5

Lately I seem to be collecting musical instruments. I am up to: 2 mandolins. acoustic guitar, electric guitar, ukulele, cigar box slide guitar and an enormous double bass

RoadBikeReview Member

Cool

I grew up collecting stamps, coins and baseball cards. Then I started collecting beer cans as a teenager. I haven't been active in the hobby for 15+ years, but I have over 1,700 different cans, and they're all steel. They started phasing out steel in the mid 1970s. I displayed the cans in the basement of my first house, but I moved out of there to my new house in 1997. The pic had 8 foot wide shelving on the facing wall and was 24 ft wide on the right side. The basement in the pic also had a pingpong table and a dart board. I'm pretty sure I was single when that pic was taken, and before I moved those shelves were filled up with more steel cans. There are a few dozen flat tops and cone tops to the right of the pic that you can't see.

If you want to try to identify cans, the right side wall is alphabetical on the third shelf starting with ABC beer. The cans on the wall to the left are foreign cans.

Not really cycling related, but there is NNC content with mid 1990s fashion in the pic.

Tb609i2.jpeg

The cans have been packed up in the attic of my current home ever since I moved here. When I had my roof replaced the roofers commented about seeing the cases and cases of cans.

Proud luddite
    When I was a kid I was kinda nerdy and collected stamps. Now that I am grown I collect pennies that have been flattened in those machines for souvenirs. Obviously I am no longer nerdy. 🤪

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dust mostly ... at least since COVID hit!
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

Devoid of all flim-flam
    If I collect anything, it'd probably be music related. I've got more than a handful of guitars and a semi-handful of fiddles. I've got zillions of LPs. I have piles of 45's. Ten shelves worth of CDs. I'm addicted to music streaming. I'm a repeat offender when it comes to classical music. Do I really need all those performances of Tchaikovsky's Second Symphony? It's not that I'm a completist or anything. It's just that I'll go to the record shelf, look at the various performances I've got, and say "Yeah, I want to listen to this one.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I collect sneakers, been doing it since the early 80's, had a big clean out a few years back, but still have a bunch.
    All the gear and no idea

Seat's not level
    Hangovers, saddle sores and disgusting looks...
    • ďI may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to say it.Ē

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    I grew up collecting stamps, coins and baseball cards. Then I started collecting beer cans as a teenager. I haven't been active in the hobby for 15+ years, but I have over 1,700 different cans, and they're all steel. They started phasing out steel in the mid 1970s. I displayed the cans in the basement of my first house, but I moved out of there to my new house in 1997. The pic had 8 foot wide shelving on the facing wall and was 24 ft wide on the right side. The basement in the pic also had a pingpong table and a dart board. I'm pretty sure I was single when that pic was taken, and before I moved those shelves were filled up with more steel cans. There are a few dozen flat tops and cone tops to the right of the pic that you can't see.

If you want to try to identify cans, the right side wall is alphabetical on the third shelf starting with ABC beer. The cans on the wall to the left are foreign cans.

Not really cycling related, but there is NNC content with mid 1990s fashion in the pic.

Tb609i2.jpeg

The cans have been packed up in the attic of my current home ever since I moved here. When I had my roof replaced the roofers commented about seeing the cases and cases of cans.
    I collected beer cans in the late 70s early 80s. Sold my collection when I left for college. We had some lake property and the original owner liked to have giant beer parties, and the property was covered in piles of junk that were mostly beer cans - old ones, like punch tops and cone tops. Once you got past the upper layer of rusty faded cans, the ones that had sunk into the dirt had rusted metal but the paint was perfect. A lot of great cans from the pre conglomerate days - Fitgers, Stroh, etc. Thatís what got me started. I still have one Schlitz can that I took the top off of and used as a pencil holder. Still holds pens and pencils on my desk 45 years later.

Also collect guitars (and play them sometimes, too), cars, old Ford parts, maritime art (just picked up a nice model of USS Cairo accompanied by a print and a shadow box with wood from the wreck), books, cool junk from the places Iíve visited over the years, such as a wall full of masks from PNG, and after my dad passed away a few years ago, the family heirlooms.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    The USS Cairo. I remember a tour at Vicksburg that they discussed that. I'm a US Civil War nerd. That must be really cool.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    The USS Cairo. I remember a tour at Vicksburg that they discussed that. I'm a US Civil War nerd. That must be really cool.
    In 2015 I spent 10 months on a barge in the Savannah River working on the excavation and recovery of the CSS Georgia ironclad, including two Dahlgren guns. Most of the heavy stuff was done by SupSalv and the navy divers, I was just there to handle diver positioning and the project GIS database.

My first ever maritime archaeology project was the summer of 1992 when I spent 5 weeks excavating the steamer Maple Leaf in the St Johns River.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Russian Troll Farmer
    I've managed to inherit collections; my partner has his mother's collection of frog figurines, I have my grandmother's collection of depression glass, my mom's collection of Maria pottery, my other grandmother's collection of Van Briggle pottery, and my dad's collection of railroad timetables.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I've managed to inherit collections; my partner has his mother's collection of frog figurines, I have my grandmother's collection of depression glass, my mom's collection of Maria pottery, my other grandmother's collection of Van Briggle pottery, and my dad's collection of railroad timetables.
    That Maria pottery is neat stuff. She really mastered the low oxygen firing technique.

My brother has our dadís postage stamp collection. We sold his match and medicine stamp collection at auction. But we split his old music machine collection. Iíve got the Regina music box (plays 16Ē discs with holes punched in such a way as to make a little tab on the underside which plucks a note as it goes by), the Edison cylinder player, a neat little victrola like pocket phonograph that folds up into a little box, and a Rolmonica player harmonica with a few rolls. At one point when I was a kid in the early 70s he had a Mills Violano Virtuoso player piano/violin but he sold it when my grandfather gave us a player piano and we needed a place to put it. We still have the piano but he should have kept the Mills 😆

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have some old bartender's cocktail shakers (somewhere), a bit of Navy memorabilia (mostly my own from serving on 4 ships).

Generally, i make room for the wife's collections. 30+ annual Xmas Barbie dolls (unopened), 8 china sets (mostly inherited), boxes of partially used cosmetics and beauty products (still too good to pitch out), souvenirs and mementos from 1950's southern California. cast iron cookware, about 6 Singer sewing machines, 30+ years of NeonatalICU magazines and procedural stuff.

I'm way ahead in the Department of Clearing Out. Except for the bicycles.
    Lots of bikes - vintage steel w/ friction thru modern Ti and CF w/ brifters.

Eddy 53:11
    Dead hookers, apparently
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.
    I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I'm down with today.

Spicy Dumpling
    I've never been a 'collector' of anything that I can think of. I had a few hot wheels as a kid, or maybe hockey or baseball cards but not to the crazy extent of my friends. And that quickly faded.

My collections are of things that I accidentally aquire. Like flat pedals that come on bike, a sh*t ton of lens filters and camera accessories that I get when buying used camera equipment.

Now about those USB cables..
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

xxl
    "What do you collect?"

Resentment.
    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Donald Trump has never won a popular vote in a governmental election.

There are over 13 million covid cases in the United States (as of Thanksgiving), eleven months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."